It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help how do you make this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
OK years ago when my daughter was in the 5th grade they made a meal for the parents, the teacher oversaw this, dessert was my favorite and I have been wanting to make it ever since, but my daughter who helped make it only remembers a few things, one it was made from egg whites and large spoonfulls were dumped into boiling water, she said it was simple.
Each course was supposed to have been a recipe from different parts of the world, the dessert was a french recipe.

I think I recall something about birdnest on the menu anyway this white dessert was covered in chilled strawberries and whip cream, it was wonderful. I would call the teacher and ask her but she died a few years ago.
I'm thinking of going on a diet and think if this was made with low fat whip cream and the berries sweetened with spenda this could be a low fat dessert that would be something I could make so I would not feel so deprived. Also my daughter said it was easy and that appeals to the lazy side of me. LOL

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Not sure if I got the right one, but this is all I found so far:
floating islands

A light dessert of stiffly beaten, sweetened egg white mounds that have been poached in milk. These puffs are then floated in a thin CUSTARD sauce. The dessert is also known as oeufs à la neige, "snow eggs."

I'm searching because it sounds really good and I want to try it out myself.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thanks that sounds good too. I kept searching and finally came up with this and this looks like what I recalls the pastry looking like and it is made to be filled with fruits or berries, so I think I have found it.

www.joyofbaking.com...

I have some frozen strawberries since hubby got a bunch on sale and I was sick so I just stuck them in the freezer so I intend to boil a few to make a sauce and also to mix some of the frozen one with whip cream in the food processor and put that in and then pour the sauce over that then top with a dab of whip cream.

This looks pretty easy. Do you know a subsititute for parchment paper? I was considering just covering the bottom of a glass casserole dish and baking it in that, letting it cool and then preparing the dessert in that as well.

I don't know if I will make this tonight or not since I just made a completely homemade pizza from scratch, I don't want to spoil him too much.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by goose]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Beer_Guy
Ok I made it and it so easy, since it was a meringue dish I did gather up the few ingredients I needed and put them near the bowl first. I used spelenda instead of sugar. And where it said to fold in the corn starch and vinegar I just mixed it in with the mixer.

I did not have any parchment paper but I used wax paper and it worked just fine, I used a glass casserole dish instead of metal pan.

I followed the directions for baking and it came out perfectly.
I mixed up a small can of mandarin oranges and a sliced banana and also chopped up the thawed strawberries, dropped a few tablespoons of the low fat whip cream in and stirred it up, I filled the meringue up with the remaining whip cream and then poured the fruit mixture over it.
So if you don't have the fruit called for in the recipe any mixture will probably be ok.

This is probably one of the easiest but fanciest desserts I have ever made and took less time than most to make, other than the baking time. Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Wow, that sounds awesome!
I'm going to have to try it.

I was going to suggest wax paper as a replacement for parchment, I don't know of anything else that would work.

new topics

top topics

join