It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Advance in Video Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I just found this video and it is really cool. It allows video to be played not on a screen but in thin air. It is very expensive but all new technologies are when they are in their infancy. Could this be the wave of the future? Only time will tell.

Amazing Display

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
gonna need alot of work before it becomes mainstream. people are getting into high definition, and will not want to go back to lower resolutions. good toy though.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Agreed!

I remember a few years ago they were talking about holgraphic projection replacing screens. Of course, that never happened but sooner or later something will come along that will bring about the demise of video as we know it.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Bet it doesn't work in a room with a strong breeze XD Very cool still.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Its obviously not all that practical yet, but its still pretty darned cool.

Heck, the idea of having a gun firing electrons onto a peice of glass and inducing a photoelectric effect to get an image to form on the glass seems pretty darned impractical at first too, but its worked out pretty nice with development.

"Death Ray" Matthews developed a large scale "Sky Projector" in the 1930's, it would project images onto clouds. This thing uses condensed air, so its not without some precedent.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Heck, the idea of having a gun firing electrons onto a peice of glass and inducing a photoelectric effect to get an image to form on the glass seems pretty darned impractical at first too, but its worked out pretty nice with development.

Excelent point Nygdan.

I'm still amazing that TV's work as well as they do.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Its just a humidifier.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Its a humidifier with a picture... and a picture is worth a thousand words... but I'll give you 37.

Actually, as simple as the concept is, if they can steady the stream some, it would be pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Cant imagine getting up in the middle of my favorite movie to fill my screen with water. Might as well just use a regular projection screen.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Cant imagine getting up in the middle of my favorite movie to fill my screen with water. Might as well just use a regular projection screen.

Maybe they will develope a remote to do that for you at the push of a botton
. Seriously though, give it some time. The technology is in its infancy.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I think they got that idea from that show Seaquest. The Captain had a similar type of viewer that threw out a mist and the images were projected on to it I believe. Once again hollywood Sci Fi had the jump. Its funny how all kinds of gadgets and ideas have spawned from Sci Fi media over the years. So wheres our sky cars and flying saucers?Lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This thing was in the works before that movie i think. I remember thinking it was amazing when i first saw it too.

I guess i wont settle for some sort of device that makes photons emit there energy at specific times.

A mist screen is kinda old school, at least thats what i think.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I've seen about this at another link a while back, it's in more depth, i'lll post the link when I find it, however one thing that no one has picked up on is that it is an interactive display too, see the guy moving the image of the watch with his fingers, that's what also makes this display quite cool.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here is another example of amazing video holograph technology. This one shows how computer generated images can be merged with video in real time:

www.livevideo.com...

And this one shows a futuristic interface screen which will do away with the need for a mouse or keyboard:

video.google.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This technology isn't really 'new' and has actualy been evolved for the display of 3D objects in actual 3D, viewable from all sides, kinda displaying.

I saw it at a german tech convention last year. (Looking up if I can find some online stuff about it)

These screens are toys and gadgets in their current state though (imho), you couldn't watch tele or computer output with that constant waving the display is doing.

The assumption made previously about the resolution is incorrect though, you can use HDTV projectors just as well as a standard 800*640 version, the technology in this video isn't the projector (which is a common and very standard model). The technology is in the air condensor which creates the invisible screen.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Wow! There are an amazing amount of potential applications for these inventions. The demo of CGI superimposed onto live video was jawdropping.

Grey

new topics

top topics

join