It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what exactly is "Space" comprised of ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I know this seems like a ridiculous question and I expect to be tarred and feathered by our resident debunkers but what exactly is space made of. Bare with me for a moment. Now obviously weve been taught that space is a vaccum
and that life as we know it cant exist there. But has anyone actually taken a sample of space while up there( kinda like scooping a canister full of water for study) and then kept it Vacumed sealed and then scientifically processed? Ive never found any reference to this type of testing or results of. I mean yeah its space but shouldnt it be comprised of something. I mean air here on earth is transparent and in a sence "space" yet when captured for study reveals its properties and other chemicals within it same with water and gasses to a lesser extent. I find it hard to beleive that space has No elements or properties and with all the talk of Space being a liquid and oxygen being in Space I thought Id ask this very basic question. So how can Space be comprised of nothing yet be present all around us?
Inquiring minds want to know. And thanks in advance.

VType

jra

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well everything in space (planets, stars, galaxies, etc) is composed of something, but space itself is nothing. It's hard sample and study nothing

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Not exactly true. Something which is comprised of nothing would not be able to bend, now would it? I'm more inclined to go towards the Quantum Mechanics view of things and that at the smallest scale, the plank scale, the vacuum is really a quantum fizz.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Im not sure if thats the correct answer. Everything weve been taught tells us that but yet we seem to know nothing about what exactly Space is or how it came to be or how it works or ???. I mean on some level there has to be something that makes space what it is. Right? I can see it or through it and It seems Black and its all around us. But for us an an intelligent speciecs to accept that the endlessness of Space is actually Nothing and is just there is very ignorant on behalf of us dont you think? I guess were too primative to figure out what Space is comprised of yet is all. I liken your responce to someone in the 1200's asking what is air made of. And the responce would have been similar too yours I believe. Its just there it made of nothing. So my question is how can something(Space) be there yet is made of nothing? Do you see what Im getting at? And thanks for not flaming me real bad either. Im just not convinced that Space is comprised of nothing.
EDIT: The above responce was too the second post in the thread.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by VType]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Gravity is the key to unlocking the mystery. My pet theory is that Gravity is actually a whirl pool action in the Quantum Fizz, sort of like in Water and anything caught in it would be dragged in.

Now what is causing the expansion, who knows...

[edit on 17-2-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Gotta love ATS man!!

here's a litt;e tid bit I have found on the explanation, but it does seem 'simple', 'to the point' and a little vague to say the least.
I will post the source as well for your own conclusion's of the analogies of "What is Space made of?" conversation.......

Outer space is made up of many things even though is has a low relative vacuum pressure of less that 10 to the minus 7 Torr.
Space is filled with many charged ion particles, Gamma rays, X-rays, Cosmic rays, and a lot of potential energy in general.
Gravity waves also permeate all of space and thus controls the orbits of the planets and other celestial objects.
And simply, Space is that which Separates Matter.

source:en.allexperts.com...

Hope this helps a little, "Keep up the "Great" inquiries, because we all would like to have a little closure in our lives!!

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
Gotta love ATS man!!

here's a litt;e tid bit I have found on the explanation, but it does seem 'simple', 'to the point' and a little vague to say the least.
I will post the source as well for your own conclusion's of the analogies of "What is Space made of?" conversation.......

Outer space is made up of many things even though is has a low relative vacuum pressure of less that 10 to the minus 7 Torr.
Space is filled with many charged ion particles, Gamma rays, X-rays, Cosmic rays, and a lot of potential energy in general.
Gravity waves also permeate all of space and thus controls the orbits of the planets and other celestial objects.

Hope this helps a little, "Keep up the "Great" inquiries, because we all would like to have a little closure in our lives!!

Excellent. I will delve deeper tomarrow into this thought process on What is Space and that link has me interested. So Space could also be considered a type of conductor? Then we are part of an infinite power source or rather we are surrounded by an infinite (as we know) power source. And if the Earth as well as other bodies in space are large gravity wells then it seems we are in a giant reactor or a space full of many giant reactors. Ill have to read up more tomarrow. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You might also want to research Dark Matter and Anti-Matter. I researched this topic for a work of fiction, and saw an explanation that " space " consists of 73% Dark Matter. ( I don't have a source to quote, it was a long time ago, but I remember it as a fact that I read ).
Good Luck!

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by VType

Excellent. I will delve deeper tomarrow into this thought process on What is Space and that link has me interested. So Space could also be considered a type of conductor? Then we are part of an infinite power source or rather we are surrounded by an infinite (as we know) power source. And if the Earth as well as other bodies in space are large gravity wells then it seems we are in a giant reactor or a space full of many giant reactors. Ill have to read up more tomarrow. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Conductors are not power sources. Also, when the ions are separated as they are at very low density, you get ion propagation but not conduction when you put an electric field across it. So you can't actually say it's a conductor.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

thanks for the input,

i too, was also going to say that 'our' space is a fabric/medium made from the electro-magnetic spectrum and gravity.

but when one ponders, one sees that all those gama, photons, ultraviolets etc and gravity itself are only byproducts of the material universe,
so that vast & sometimes vacuum of 'space' is not really 'Space' at all,
but rather is just less dense accumulation of matter byproducts from sources like gas clouds, comets, asteroids, planets, stars, galaxies...

dark matter, or potential energy which is not yet manifested into our material universe, is at rest in the actual state we should call "Space"

the space we see as distance between celestial objects is nothing more than 'distance' which can also be equated with time, but it is not the "Space" from which the Big Bang proceeded from...IMHO

jra

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't see space as being made of radiation and particles, but just that the radiation, particles, and gravity and all that stuff just exists in space. Know what I mean? I don't know if that's really correct, but that's just how I see it.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I don't see space as being made of radiation and particles, but just that the radiation, particles, and gravity and all that stuff just exists in space.
I don't know what you are trying to say? you are a confused individual with such an oximoronic statement.

Know what I mean?

"No, I do not know what you mean.

I don't know if that's really correct, but that's just how I see it.

It is an insight, but very off the beaten trail of knowledge. "Let's call it an 'Opinion'?"

Better start searching the WWW for more "Educated" insight's on this topic. It is very coplexed and at the same time , very intrigueing as well.

Later jra!!

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My wallet is more empty then space ...

Energy in all sorts of forms (plenty of which we have still little understanding about) is present everywhere in space (light, radiation, ...)

Even matter is present in space more commonly then generaly thought. In empty space there are always some dust particles or atoms of something floating around. I'm thinking that you can't take a cubic meter of space and truely find nothing but radiation/energy in it.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Well everything in space (planets, stars, galaxies, etc) is composed of something, but space itself is nothing. It's hard sample and study nothing

There is no such thing as "nothing".

It takes an observer to observe that nothing, therefore directly making that nothing, something.

Consciousness is all that exists. Outside of consciousness there is true nothing, but having said that, there is nothing outside of consciousness anyway

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Take a look here:

en.wikipedia.org...

Also dig around and check out Tesla's dynamic theory of the Ether, it's fascinating.

I've had some revelations lately and have read quite a bit here but the conclusion I have come to? space (or the area between matter as some one here put it) is 'merely' an energy field "at rest". That will probably not make much sense until you realize that ALL matter is made out of energy and then when you really try and think about what 'energy' is it will warp your brain. For example, have you really studied how electricity really works? Man, I wish I had the links handy but most people think that electricity is a 'flow' of electrons through a wire. WRONG.. The electrons with their charge merely 'wiggle' back and forth allowing the 'energy wave' to 'travel' through them. (Much like a wave travelling through water) The electrons with their corresponding charge merely give the medium for the wave to travel through. After thinking about that and studing how batteries work it will REALLY blow your mind. We know how batteries 'store' a charge but how do they really store the actual energy that comes out of them? I'll stop there but rebuttals are welcome and I do have an open mind.

Matter is merely 'space that has been spun/vibrated/oscillated into matter at varying frequencies'. Perhaps space is made out of God himself.

What's the frequency Kenneth?

[edit on 17-2-2007 by ViewFromTheStars]

jra

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I don't see space as being made of radiation and particles, but just that the radiation, particles, and gravity and all that stuff just exists in space.

I don't know what you are trying to say? you are a confused individual with such an oximoronic statement.

umm ok...

Know what I mean?

"No, I do not know what you mean.

From the link you provided said:

"Space is filled with many charged ion particles, Gamma rays, X-rays, Cosmic rays, and a lot of potential energy in general."

I was taking that to mean that all that stuff exists in space, not that it is what space is made out of. That clearer?

I don't know if that's really correct, but that's just how I see it.

It is an insight, but very off the beaten trail of knowledge. "Let's call it an 'Opinion'?"

It's obviously an opinion... And like I said, I could be incorrect about it, just stating what I think. Alright?

Better start searching the WWW for more "Educated" insight's on this topic. It is very coplexed and at the same time , very intrigueing as well.

I have been and yes it's complex and intriguing and from what I can tell, it's fairly impossible to come to any definite conclusion, as it gets into the theoretical and philosophical.

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
There is no such thing as "nothing".

I wish I had been more clear originally. When I said nothing, I meant in terms of something you can take a sample of, like the original poster was asking. I am more inclined to go with what sardion said about the quantum fizz. That when you get right down to the smallest scales where time and space no longer have any meaning, you have this quantum fizz. I believe this relates to string theory, which I find interesting, but again, it's all theoretical.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VType
I know this seems like a ridiculous question and I expect to be tarred and feathered by our resident debunkers but what exactly is space made of. Bare with me for a moment. Now obviously weve been taught that space is a vaccum
and that life as we know it cant exist there. But has anyone actually taken a sample of space while up there( kinda like scooping a canister full of water for study) and then kept it Vacumed sealed and then scientifically processed? Ive never found any reference to this type of testing or results of. I mean yeah its space but shouldnt it be comprised of something. I mean air here on earth is transparent and in a sence "space" yet when captured for study reveals its properties and other chemicals within it same with water and gasses to a lesser extent. I find it hard to beleive that space has No elements or properties and with all the talk of Space being a liquid and oxygen being in Space I thought Id ask this very basic question. So how can Space be comprised of nothing yet be present all around us?
Inquiring minds want to know. And thanks in advance.

VType

Actually, it's kind of funny, but the Ether Concept is making a comeback. That's were it's established something is present as a convexion source, but not readily defined.

Light has an odd behaviour in a vacuum. It tends to slow, somewhat. Almost undetectable, but over vast distances this adds up. This is due to the lack of wave-propagation within a medium. It takes energy to surmount the nothingness at the leading edge.

Being that star-shift-patterns are the "hot" thing (picking out planets of extra-solar systems [get yours, HaHa]), most assume that since we can see a shift caused by gravinometric waves, there a substance that is influenced on.

I go with the current general catch all of Dark Matter, and it's given off energies. If you do a search, there's some pretty good articles and data.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think the proper word is composed.

Space comprises various random molecules that are floating around.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

That when you get right down to the smallest scales where time and space no longer have any meaning, you have this quantum fizz. I believe this relates to string theory, which I find interesting, but again, it's all theoretical.

Actually Quantum Fizz is an interpretation of Quantum mechanics.

This graphic puts it into perspective.

www.pbs.org...

Also when you get down to the smallest scales, time doesn't just stop. It still exists and is hypothetically measured as Plank Time.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just took my own advice and searched on Dark Matter. There's been a lot of development in the theory, according to WikiPedia.

An interesting note is the application of WIMPs (small particles that have weak interaction with other particlse, but yet interact with themselves).

I'm wondering, jokingly of course, if this could explain NASA's current delimas. WIMPs in space, taken of(f) course by diapers. Triaging trios.

This is getting scary. What if these particlse do "clump" together. And cast off a phenomenon that may be known as Clumping. I think I saw that somewhere on WikiPedia.

Let's not even get into the MACHOmismos.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join