It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.5 Million Dollar Pot Bust at US/Mexico Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Nearly 3000 pounds of marijuana was seized and a Mexican man was detained. The weed was hidden in a tomato shipment. Funny thing, it seems this man was accepted by the US FAST program which is a program to speed up border screening of shipments coming into the US.

www.kobtv.com
Authorities say the man became nervous after officers at the Nogales port of entry began asking him routine questions.

Officers then searched the man’s truck and found 2,700 pounds of marijuana hidden in 111 large bundles among pallets of tomatoes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder how many government approved shipments actually make it through the FAST line?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What kind of trunk can hold thousands of pounds of pot plus tomatoes as cover?

That's a damn big trunk.

It would make more sense if it was a trailer - perhaps that was the case, and the reporter just used the wrong nomenclature.

The FAST, huh? Free and Secure Trade? Does the fact that it's expensive and insecure make for delicious irony? You betcha...

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well, I really don't see the big deal here.

I'm a social libertarian, so I don't have a problem with drugs, however,
if the Marijuana was produced using practices that, say employed little
more than slave labour, or the breaking of child labour laws, than I
would have a problem with it.

If that were the case, I would want to see the government seize the
Marijuana, sell it and put the money into infrastructure or something
else that needed it, and the guy get jail time for violating labour laws.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

That's a damn big trunk.

I believe it says truck not trunk. Your average car bumper would drag the ground with over a ton of stuff in it.

Well they better let him through or the government might lock em up with the other border patrol agents that were just doing their job.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You're absolutely right!

It is truck, not trunk - I just misread it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's better for the country this way. Mexican pot is horrible.

But seriously folks, lets think about how much money went into that bust. And there's no return on the money end of things because it's just product. This was a waste of time and money.

Legalize it!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
What? Where are the Border Patrols that need to be arrested for detaining this man and uncovering the drugs?

Isn't that the way we do things in the US nowadays?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
jsobecky,
You read my mind!
I am just waiting for the legal eagles out there to offer this man amnesty so that he can testify on his ill treatment and how he was profiled etc. just so that they can successfully prosecute the Border Patrol agents!

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

that was great.. I think I'm crying anyway I think they make more money off drugs being illegal

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Otherwise why would we need all thie protection .. ??? But the Money is not in the greenery is it in the other color stuff !

Originally posted by Scrub

that was great.. I think I'm crying anyway I think they make more money off drugs being illegal

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

But seriously folks, lets think about how much money went into that bust. And there's no return on the money end of things because it's just product. This was a waste of time and money.

Legalize it!!!

Wrong. It's the uncared for poorly grown Mexican pot that is horrible.
What i'm wondering is how can the same pot be coming from Mexico for 30+ years. And I mean the SAME stuff.
The drugs in America are mostly made and distributed by Government officials. Possibly even double agents, lol. Like for instance '___'. It use to be big not that long ago. Now youd strike gold to find it anywhere in America it seems.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Legalize it!!!

Seriously man, you crack me up. However, I totally agree that there was probably so much money spent on that bust, and what will they have to show for it? Nada.

They should stick to catching rapists and murderers.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of punishment would that be equal to in US and Mexico? 2700 pounds of weed? Quite a big deal.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
2700 pounds "officially" lol

I'm sure some of that had already gone missing in U.S. Govt storage. They only announce the bust once everyone dots the i's and crosses the t's

What a waste, even if it's stress/swag weed.

It is time to legalize it, that law is way overdue. A simple battery of tests comparing people in control groups of drunks and those who are high will find the latter less violent, better drivers, have overall better judement, and healthier livers. Alcohol can kill you in so many ways, I think the only way you can die directly from weed is overeating. lol

It's a big conspiracy, which extends today from the time it was criminalized. Weed was made illegal to stem the flow of Mexican immigrants into America. This law was enacted in the early 1900's, and notice the same socio/political issues are "important" to the flag waving racist fascists who run the country today.

-ADHD

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This makes me mad at the whole "war on drugs" thingie.
I mean if they would have let this guy go on thru and tail him to where ever he goes and who he is in contact they could have found more or the source or the distributer or all of them, instead they kill the messenger and now we dont know where he got it from or where he was going to deliver it and to whom.

The enforcers of the law are dumb and will always have trouble with this if they keep doing things the same way. Where are the covert ops drug traffic fbi or atf agents and what are they doing who are they really working for?
I wonder if they didn't let this guy thru, what guy did they let thru and how much was his shipment?

new topics

top topics

join