It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC To Regulate TV Violence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Congress could be working on a new law to regulate violence on TV. This is coming from statistics that show violence has a negative impact on children and it's time to do the right thing about it. This wouldn't be limited to a few channels, this would affect cable stations as well. They show strong favor in supporting this issue all across the board, suggesting this is not a political issue.

www.cnn.com
But a draft report being circulated at the Federal Communications Commission says Congress can change that, without violating the First Amendment.

The long-overdue report suggests Congress could craft a law that would let the agency regulate violent programming much like it regulates sexual content and profanity -- by barring it from being aired during hours when children may be watching, for example. (Watch why people are concerned about torture on "24")

"In general, what the commission's report says is that there is strong evidence that shows violent media can have an impact on children's behavior and there are some things that can be done about it," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said Thursday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ultimately I feel the responsibility lies in the hands of the parents. There are a number of ways to protect kids from the violence that is shown on TV through the use of Parental Controls. My question is, why is this a necesary action. I don't see a law like this making an impact upon our society or youths.

I do feel that many shows contain too much violence, especially for kids, but I don't feel this is the answer for it.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.marshallnewsmessenger.com

[edit on 2/16/2007 by dirty_underground]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Personally I disaprove of this.

Mostly because I dislike any kind of censorship, as it is a slippery
slope to go down.

But apart from that I don't have a problem with kids seeing violence,
now of course a 3 year old probably should'nt be seing a really
gruesome murder scen with entrails hanging out and such, but in
general I don't have a problem with it.

I grew up seeing violence on TV, in movies and in video games,
and I am not a violent person, in fact I fell compassion for all living
things, not so much patience, but yeah.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The whole country would be better off if the FCC made all of television broadcasting unbearable and boring.

Maybe people would go back to reading and being an informed populace.

join