It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy pool: place your bets ladies and gentlemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Okay... here's the challange:

How long will it take before this story is connected by someone (external to this website) to some piece of the NWO/OWO conspiracy theory?

www.reuters.com...

Leaking Oil Tanker Off Spain Splits Up, Will Sink
Tue November 19, 2002 03:54 AM ET

LA CORUNA, Spain (Reuters) - A leaking oil tanker carrying 70,000 tons of fuel oil split in two off western Spain Tuesday and will sink, officials said, raising the specter of an environmental disaster.

"The ship split in two at 8 o'clock this morning," a spokeswoman for the Spanish central government in Galicia told Reuters by telephone.

[Edited on 19-11-2002 by William]

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Lessee... I'm betting 2.5 days on Rumormill News.

(g) We're turning into a pair of gosh-darned cyinics, aren't we?

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What kind of reasons would we have to *not* be cynical?...

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 06:23 AM
link   
We have a potential entry in less than 24 hours from the original post here, and yes, you guessed it, Rumor Mill News:

www.rumormillnews.net...

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 07:38 AM
link   
According to BBC newsnight, this is the fourth tanker built from a Japanese shipyard in the 70's to have gone down... could it not just be bad design?

4 out of 300 is not bad I reckon, just over 1%.. does anyone actually know the ratio of sinkings to units built in this type of situation? Is it within thier expected margin of failiure...

As for the somebody sinking it to give the Brits some political heat.i.e. the Yanks because the Brits didn't support them...

Well, I think that's way far fetched. With the resolutions currently in place over IRAQ, ambiguous as some of the wording is, it would not be strong enough for the US to justify going in for its 'regime change'. They'd be condemned by everybody in the UN. These skirmishes have been going on for months and so to suddenly pop up with this latest encounter as an excuse to pop saddam off is lame at best and cries of desperation tactics.

Why doesn't Bush just go in there and do it anyway...he's only got so much patience and he must've promised dad that he'd do it for him to be so desperate - maybe he's looking for his footnote in history???

This whole things is a farce of such magnitude that it would be laughable if it were a film.

Sometimes the truth is just so much simpler than what we wish to believe - ships do sink, just like Bridgestone Tyres fail or Ford Motor cars have petrol tank placement design faults.. why aren't ppl asking questions of the Japanese ship designer...?

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by phait
According to BBC newsnight, this is the fourth tanker built from a Japanese shipyard in the 70's to have gone down... could it not just be bad design?

Those damn japs
never get it right.

I had 3 sony/panasonic VCRs, all of them broke down. Stupid japs.

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Actually, they were discussing this on NPR (National Public Radio) and the problem is, indeed the tanker design.

This is one of a fleet of tankers built during a bulding boom in Japan in the 1970's. They're all ond, AND they're all "single-hulled."

Apparently this is a very weak design (no kidding) when you're hauling around thousands of gallons of oil. After some problems, the industry went to using double-hulled tankers.

However, the old ones weren's scrapped. They were sold to poorer nations who couldn't afford modern units. Leaky, often failing inspections, they creak from port to port, looking for lax inspectors and low port fees so they can make a profit.

(they'll buy them in one country and register them in another. Sometimes they fly the flag of yet another country and their crew and captain is from a fourth country. )

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Uhh, I'm not sure about the oil storage, but wouldn't it be safer if the oil were put into different compartments, each carrying about 5,000 tons each, that way, if it splits or sinks, not as much will empty into the ocean. Just a thought of course, I am sure it would raise the price for building it, but, wait, hell, the damn corporations don't care about safety do they??? Well, in that case I'll just stop now.

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 06:12 PM
link   
good idea inspectah, I would think that giant plastic bladders insde the compartments would also help, then only one gets punctured only some oil is lost

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yes, I had been thinking of only seperate steel containers, but bladders would be an excellent idea. Then the bladders might float, and would be much easier to retreive. We should give this to greenpeace

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 08:05 AM
link   
why not just develop more convenient forms of power such as wind and solar... saves having to lug all that oil around.. saves destroying environment to get to said oil and damage if oil spills in transit...

has no or very little environmental impact or pollution..jobs lost in oil industry would be gained in the manufacture/installation/maintenance of wind / solar farms etc... improve techological prospects of country...

still when you've got an oilman running your country its like turkeys voting for xmas ain;t it.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I agree with Phait -- we need to develop other forms of power (the new Honda Insight hybrid car, for example.)

And because it's so neat, here's a link to a review of the Honda

...and I SO agree with the turkey-Bush analogy. Oh yes.

posted on Nov, 28 2002 @ 12:22 AM
link   
is by using massive amounts of 'cat-tail' or 'bullrush' fluff. It floats, is natural, and it adheres to itself when it soaks up the oil. Try it at home. I did it when I was a kid, accidentally, when my dad had an oil leak, and it formed on the top of a puddle. Try it. Call me whacko, but this little idea could provide a cheap and effective solution to environmental disasters like this.

posted on Nov, 28 2002 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phait
why not just develop more convenient forms of power such as wind and solar... saves having to lug all that oil around.. saves destroying environment to get to said oil and damage if oil spills in transit...

has no or very little environmental impact or pollution..jobs lost in oil industry would be gained in the manufacture/installation/maintenance of wind / solar farms etc... improve techological prospects of country...

still when you've got an oilman running your country its like turkeys voting for xmas ain;t it.

Oh, was Clinton an oilman, too?
Nothing will be done until most of the oil is pulled up. You know how we are; humans don't change until the pain is unbearable.
The energy crisis that happens when the oil runs out will just be another global crisis used to conduct some societal engineering.

top topics

join