It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timeline for time travel still in fictional realm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
(KRT) - When the Wright Brothers defied gravity a century ago, they also supposedly defied science.

After all, hadn't scientists said that human-controlled heavier-than-air flight was impossible? Back then, flying through the atmosphere was just as much science fiction as H.G. Wells' recent fantasy about traveling through time. But then two bicycle builders proved science to be wrong. Or so goes the popular conception.

www.fortwayne.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
For some reason I am very iffy about time travel. It just seems to me that it is not possible. IF it was we would have done it already! Not that we have the technology now but if we develop it in the future, wouldnt someone from the future bring the technology to the past just to be able to develop the technology sooner?? And if it does exist in the future, then some asshole has the patent. To let some of the things happen in this world, that have happened is just wrong. Time Travel is a godly power, you would have the power to stop almost anything from happening or to make almost anything happen.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by Dusty]

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Interesting interview on the subject:

www.sciam.com...

Already posted in this thread, but it is a good read.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
that's why time travel will be used only by government

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dusty
For some reason I am very iffy about time travel. It just seems to me that it is not possible. IF it was we would have done it already! Not that we have the technology now but if we develop it in the future, wouldnt someone from the future bring the technology to the past just to be able to develop the technology sooner?? And if it does exist in the future, then some asshole has the patent. To let some of the things happen in this world, that have happened is just wrong. Time Travel is a godly power, you would have the power to stop almost anything from happening or to make almost anything happen.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by Dusty]

Yup, but IF in the future we had the power and came back...would we not just look like Aliens? Some advanced state of evolution, gray, big eyes, skinny arms and legs supported by technology. That's future us.

Would we not LET the primitives think we were space travelers? TO not mess up the time line? When we went back to ancient history, would we not let them think we were Gods?

Ancient texts describe God like beings bringing lamps and batteries to help early man mine for precious metals. Sounds like us to me. A future raped planet where all the resources exist in the past?

Space travel is actually impractical for humans. INterdimensional Time travel? Maybe.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
to quote rant:

A future raped planet where all the resources exist in the past?

if that was true then the past/present would already be 'raped' of resources too?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   
For anyone remotely interested in the possibility of time travel, this book is ESSENTIAL. I started reading it at Barnes and Nobles one day, and ended up spending 3 hours there until I was done. It is one of those books which are impossible to put down. What I really enjoyed about it was the simplicity with which it was written: no hard core intangible esoteric physics or mathetmatical jargon. Anyway, a link to the book and a brief description are posted below. After reading it, I am a firm believer in the possibility of time travel.

www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_books_1/002-5687678-2696808?v=glance&s=books

"In this fascinating book, the renowned astrophysicist J. Richard Gott leads time travel out of the world of H. G. Wells and into the realm of scientific possibility. Building on theories posited by Einstein and advanced by scientists such as Stephen Hawking and Kip Thorne, Gott explains how time travel can actually occur. He describes, with boundless enthusiasm and humor, how travel to the future is not only possible but has already happened, and he contemplates whether travel to the past is also conceivable. Notable not only for its extraordinary subject matter and scientific brilliance, Time Travel in Einstein"s Universe is a delightful and captivating exploration of the surprising facts behind the science fiction of time travel."

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   

For some reason I am very iffy about time travel. It just seems to me that it is not possible. IF it was we would have done it already!

Maybe we did already, but just in the future?

You see, in order for time travel to work, you almost have to accept that not only does the past exist, but also the future...as if you go to the past, you must then return to the future of that past, i.e. your present, in order to get "home".

I think that if it ever is possible...it will likely be a one-way trip....

new topics

top topics

join