It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sulphur blanket solution to GW?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
When will scientist learn to humble themselves?

Professor Paul Crutzen, the guy who first found the link between CFC's and Ozone depletion, has now suggested we launch thousands of sulphur rockets into the atmosphere to create a Sulphur blanket that will slow global warming.

While i respect the work he did regarding the Ozone layer i cant help but think this is another example of scientist trying to play God. The planet is not a giant playground for scientists to test out their grand theories....

We all no what causes GW so how about we cut back on CO2 output instead of these grand dreams of being the earths saviour with some technological answer to GW.

I cant help but feel that there is an arrogance, within the scientific community, that makes them feel that they have the right to do whatever they please... no matter the risk

Who knows what the outcome would be, should anyone give this guy permission to tinker with our planet

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wouldn't that cause a lot of acidic rain though? That seems a strange solution to me, and also how much sulphur would you need to slow Global warming? It would take a massive amount of sulphur. To quote the article:

Mount Pinatubo ejected about 10 million tonnes of sulphur into the stratosphere at about 10-40km above the Earth's surface.

now, where do we get 10 million tonnes of sulphur to throw into the atmosphere? And also Pinatubo only had a temporary effect on the climate, so how much do we need to do this?

Artificial volcanic winter.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Exactly my point Apex...

Just seems like a very poor idea

And what happens if we do pump all this Sulphur into the Atmosphere and then we get a few big volcanic eruptions???

I guess he would suggest releasing tons of CO2 to re-warm the planet

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We should just stick our heads in the ground and hope god will provide???

God helps those who help themselves. At least he trying to find come up with a solution.

How come everytime someone tries to solve the problem, automatically he a glory hound who hates God and wants to replace him.

Free your mind.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I not saying sulfer missles would work, but he is obviously smarter than I.
Of course it would be our luck to have aliens land just after the sulfer bombs, and think God these people smell

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76

(So what you are saying is)

You should go back and read what he wrote.

He is not saying we should stick our heads in the ground.

He is saying what the scientist suggested isn't a good idea, and I agree with him. Throwing sulphur in the air is not a good idea. We need to come up with a better idea.

I think it's pretty pathetic if that's all they can come up with.

I guess it's better than sealing the Earth in bubble wrap.

Back to the drawing board....

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

When will scientist learn to humble themselves?
While i respect the work he did regarding the Ozone layer i cant help but think this is another example of scientist trying to play God. The planet is not a giant playground for scientists to test out their grand theories....
trying to play God.

No one is saying to go ahead with out test to find out what would happen?

Just the same with a device that sucks all the CO2 out. We would need some of it.

Its not Boastfull to TRY and find a solution, instead of just making cracks about it.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

God helps those who help themselves. At least he trying to find come up with a solution.

How come everytime someone tries to solve the problem, automatically he a glory hound who hates God and wants to replace him.

Free your mind.

Sorry Royal76 but you seem to be reading to much into what phrase i used...

I never said that he is someone who hates god... i never said we should stick our head in the ground!!

I am pointing out that, instead of following the simple solution (Drastic cutbacks on global carbon emissions) he is suggesting a fantastical idea that in my opinion is doomed to failure.

Playing God is just a phrase that is often used to express an opinion that someone is trying to alter that which he/she has no right to alter... ive even heard atheists use it...

To quote another scientist (Albert Einstein) "God does not play dice"

Very apt for this topic... we should not take gambles with nature when the simple solutions are stairing us straight in the face.

I am also not suggesting that science will never offer any solutions to global warming... after all, it is technologies such as solar panels and other clean energy's that, i hope, will one day offer us freedom from fossil fuels... Often the, what i term as, fantastical technologies are just hair brained schemes that give people an excuse to continue abusing this planet through unclean energy sources...

"i can continue using my SUV because some scientist said he has invented a giant CO2 hoover that will save us"

In my humble opinion, this mentality is nothing but one big gamble.

You should go back and read what he wrote.

He is not saying we should stick our heads in the ground.

He is saying what the scientist suggested isn't a good idea, and I agree with him. Throwing sulphur in the air is not a good idea. We need to come up with a better idea.

I think it's pretty pathetic if that's all they can come up with.

I guess it's better than sealing the Earth in bubble wrap.

Back to the drawing board....

Thanks c3hamby... and good point

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well, there's an easier solution, and we need to do it anyway.

All you have to do is...resume above ground nuclear testing.

Go back and look at the climate while we were still setting off nukes. You'll see it's a period of time when the earth was cooling...that's one reason why you see all the guys thinking there was a new ice age coming in the early 70's. The correlation is phenomenal.

And, we do hypothesize that an all-out nuclear war would cause "global winter". Well, let's take them at their word, and go by the evidence we have in abundance: above ground nuclear blasts reverse global warming.

Given the new bomb designs that many are worried won't work without some testing, we can have a win-win situation! The sigma-15 geeks will get to test, and we get snow again.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm quite sure that for every scientist who suggests this is a good idea, you can find at least one who says it is not. So it's pretty poor form to label all scientists the same.

Scientifically, the idea would work to reduce warming. But it's a pretty rocky-road to start down, you know what they say about good intentions and hell.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by melatonin]

top topics

join