It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Test of Faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If God so commanded it, would you walk through fire? I would: either I would not die, or I would die and be resurrected.

The Flame of Eternal Life never dies.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Or you would not be burnt at all. Certainly if I knew for a fact that it was God commanding me to walk through fire, and not just an abberation of the mind, I would walk through it, yes.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Or you would just die. Would that be so bad?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Or you would not be burnt at all. Certainly if I knew for a fact that it was God commanding me to walk through fire, and not just an abberation of the mind, I would walk through it, yes.

SpeakerofTruth, thank you for your addition.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When question of his faith:

The other guy said that alot of people did not share his beliefs:

"My beliefs do not require you to"

The ultimate test of faith, is that you still have it. Walking through fire, jumping from a plane is easy.

Standing by your convictions are not.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yes

whatever God asks of me i will do
provided i understand
if not i just ask for clarification
which God does also provide

God gives me that that i ask
Just now i got word that another prayer was answered
and a dear friend of mine was set free

so I am at God's beck and call
day and night
with bells on

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Or you would just die. Would that be so bad?

babloyi, are you going through a painful period of life? We all experience pain. But treat pain as a process for greater discipline. With greater discipline, we can truly experience the joys of life and have a more abundant life.

"At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it."
Hebrews 12:11

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
The ultimate test of faith, is that you still have it. Walking through fire, jumping from a plane is easy.

That's right.
Stand by your man.
Die-hard to the end.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
When question of his faith:

The other guy said that alot of people did not share his beliefs:

"My beliefs do not require you to"

Royal76, interesting reply. I would ask you: are human convictions necessarily in line with God's convictions (His way or law)? Can we modify our convictions to become more like God's convictions? I believe we can as I believe life is partly a constant learning process to become closer to and more like God.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Would you sacrifice all of earthly success to live in Heaven? I would. Would you rather be the most successful in Hell or the least successful in Heaven? I would choose the latter.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
if god did exist and gave me this query, i wouldn't do it
there would be no reason
i am not a pawn for god's amusement
and i'd expect to be treated as such

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
if god did exist and gave me this query, i wouldn't do it
there would be no reason
i am not a pawn for god's amusement
and i'd expect to be treated as such

I will assume you are answering to the original post. Have you ever thought that there is greater glory in the afterlife than in the earthlife? God dominates both lives with love, grace, and power.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I would have to say yes, I would do if and only if I knew for certain that it was really God speaking to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I will assume you are answering to the original post. Have you ever thought that there is greater glory in the afterlife than in the earthlife?

i don't care about glory in either life
i care about said deity acting like a child with a magnifying glass over an anthill
a god that would ask anyone to walk through flames clearly has sociopathic tendencies

God dominates both lives with love, grace, and power.

not if god is actually proposing i walk through flames...
if it did that, then it's just about the power

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I would hope that my faith would not fail and I would be obediant, we know it's better than sacrifice, but also I wouldn't tempt the Lord my God so ONLY if HE was inquiring me to. Also, I believe that many of us are walking thru the fire SPIRITUALLY! I know at times prior when my faith was stronger I wouldn't dream of doing some of the things I have done lately. So, I would hope I would be faithful. Sometimes I am weak. So may HE be strong in me.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
If God wanted our convictions to be more like his, he would've made it that way.

Walking thru flame is nothing. If he told yoto, he'd already know you'd be ok. But its not God who tests, its Satan. He has dominion here, God has dominion above. Well, here as well, because Satan was his creation. He must've known already Satan would lust after power, afterall he did make him. So when Satan fell to become the deceiver of men, it was in accordance with God's plan for people to not only be tested, but to have free will of choice.

Theres tons of places in the Old Testament where God is depicted as violent, jealous, unfair, cruel, you name it. Because he was trying to sow fear in the hearts of men. He knew men were simple, he created them. So he knew that by doing such deeds, they'd be awestruck and fear him greatly. This fear is of integral importance in Christianity.

Dont ask why God must make us fear him. With no fear there'd be no choice, and no reason to NOT kill, rape, steal, etc. Fearing his wrath. See, personally im usually deterred from a bad deed before i get to the point of fearing his wrath over it, but other people need that to stop themselves you know.

God knew that, too.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
babloyi, are you going through a painful period of life? We all experience pain. But treat pain as a process for greater discipline. With greater discipline, we can truly experience the joys of life and have a more abundant life.

"At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it."
Hebrews 12:11

Gyahahaha...I didn't mean that to come out as suicidal as it did. No, I'm as happy as the next guy with my life. What I meant is that I don't quite see how strong someones "faith" is if they believe dying is the end. True Christians should have no reason to fear death (even though they should necessarilly not seek it).

What I meant was, if God says "Walk through fire", you do, and you die, so what?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
A story of men being Cast into a Fiery Furnace..the Guards burned up..yet not a single hair on their head was touched.

Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual 20 and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. 21 So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. 22 The king's command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, 23 and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace.

24 Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, "Weren't there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?"
They replied, "Certainly, O king."

25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

26 Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!"
So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire, 27 and the satraps, prefects, governors and royal advisers crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.

A great Testimony to the Power of God in the Old Testament.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
A story of men being Cast into a Fiery Furnace..the Guards burned up..yet not a single hair on their head was touched.

Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual 20 and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. 21 So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. 22 The king's command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, 23 and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace.

24 Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, "Weren't there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?"
They replied, "Certainly, O king."

25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

26 Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!"
So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire, 27 and the satraps, prefects, governors and royal advisers crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.

A great Testimony to the Power of God in the Old Testament.

Peace

HIFIGUY, great quote from the Bible!!! Awesome!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If god ever presented himself to me, hell yes!!! I would walk through fire for him no problem just because he was nice enough to give me some tangible evidence of his existence. Further more I would kiss every Christians hindside and go for a jog in those flames. Keep on top of this thread for updates. Remember the end is nigh and has been for a long time.

top topics

join