It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analyzing The Holy Site Dig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have been following the controversial dig near the Al Aqsa compound and in response to protests, Israel has put up a "live" webcam to try and quell suspicions of the Muslims.

It is a three camera feed, one of a rubble pile, one under a shelter, and one that shows the unearthing of a (wall?).

My knowledge of this type of dig is very limited and I was hoping that some of my fellow ATSers would be trained in the field of archeology and could take a look and explain some of what can be seen on these cams.

Here is the link to the live feed...

WEBCAM

[edit on 2007/2/16 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
For those who might be interested, it looks like the archeological dig is getting started again.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
NICE! REALLY NICE! Thank you for posting this! It is very interesting to see an archaelogical dig on a live feed camera.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Wow, it seems that this was known since 2004 and kept secret until the recent excavation.

Muslim prayer room found near Al Magharbah Gate three years ago
Ramallah, Occupied West Bank, 19 February, (Asiantribune.com): Israeli archeologist Yuval Baruch revealed that remains of an ancient Muslim prayer room was found under the dirt embankment adjacent to Al Magharbah Gate in 2004. The findings, unearthed after part of the embankment collapsed into the Western Wall compound, were kept secret until now.

The information was withheld from the public but had been known to various Israeli officials. The findings were revealed in an article posted on the Israel Antiquities Authority's internet site by Baruch, who works in the Jerusalem district.

In an article entitled "The real story," Baruch revealed that when the embankment collapsed near the Al Magharbah Bridge, a small room with a roofed alcove and a dome was unearthed - a type of Muslim prayer alcove facing south. Some have suggested that these are the remains of a prayer room which was originally part of a school for Muslim studies which operated adjacent to the Al Magharbah Gate.

This helps to identify what we are looking at from the webcam feed.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Jakcatmtn,
Very good work...

Do you think the information of the site witheld from public knowledge 'couse of the recent crisis with Lebanon & Palestine or for an other reason?

From my point of view, the crisis between Iran nowadays doesn't prevent them to continue the excuvations so it must be something else...

Theories about the antichrist or Israelis trying to find proofs of their excistence there? A country needs monuments to justify its ethnical sustainability and what Israel has more than the temble of Solomon?

Let's see...

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
IMO withholding this discovery tends to go right to the Muslim/Jew/Christian dispute about the site itself and has nothing to do with the conflicts occurring.

This discovery only gives more weight to the Muslim side of their argument.

I think an opportunity is being lost due to this behavior, personally I have always thought the the Jewish/Muslim/Christian God is one and the same, so naturally this site is held dear to all.

It is just how worshippers branched off and their own theology created divisions which spread over thousands of years has lead to this battle of who is right and who is wrong.

Kinda like the fact that if you tell a story, it gets retold thousands of times, the last time it is told seldom agrees with the original version.

I am probably being to simplistic and will get trashed but felt I should let you know how I approach this dilemma.

It would be so much nicer if all three could get together to find common ground than to feed the conflict if you know what I mean.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I feel sad the way an epiphany of an excavation site will bring more controversy, dispute and instability between the reclaimers of the land instead of joining the same table of joy and illumination, though the discovery.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
IMO withholding this discovery tends to go right to the Muslim/Jew/Christian dispute about the site itself and has nothing to do with the conflicts occurring.

Or it could have to do with getting the rock-solid proof. I know that announcements are usually made a year or more after the discoveries in most cases. I'm told it's so that they aren't accused of jumping the gun. And in this case, it could be serious if they were wrong.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Good point Indellkoffer, I hadn't thought of it in that context. Thanks

The dig is getting ready to start up again for those interested.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That's awesome! Never seen archeological dig on a live webcam before!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Will answer in a few days. I'm teaching a class tomorrow (for museum docents) and need to get to bed.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Wow, look at the progress that has been made in the past few weeks!

Does anyone know what was uncovered under the black tent?

WEBCAM

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
NEWS !!! A Turkish inspection team will be at the dig on WEDNESDAY, (tomorrow?)...

Israel hosts Turkish inspection of Jerusalem excavation which enraged Muslims

JERUSALEM - A delegation of Turkish archeologists and historians was headed to Israel on Tuesday to inspect excavation work near a Jerusalem holy site that has sparked clashes between police and local Muslims and touched off fierce criticism throughout the Islamic world.

Muslims say the Israeli dig will harm Islamic shrines at the site, which is known as the Temple Mount to Jews and the Noble Sanctuary to Muslims, and whose fate is central to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israel says the digging is to salvage archeological remnants ahead of the construction of a new pedestrian walkway up to the hilltop compound. The walkway was damaged in a 2004 snowstorm and city officials say renovation is essential for public safety and poses no danger to the Muslim holy sites inside.

Israel Antiquities Authority spokeswoman Osnat Guez said the Turkish delegation would make an official, one-day examination of the site on Wednesday to see the work firsthand.

media will not be present but , "Guez said the Turkish visit to the site would not be open to media coverage but could be monitored through Antiquities Authority cameras set up at the dig, which relay real-time pictures to the authority Web site, www.antiquities.org.il... "

new topics

top topics

join