It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What issues should U.S. Pres Candidates Address?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Howdy,

I'm just dropping a broad canvas here. What issues do you think that U.S. Presidential Candidates need to address most? Feel free to list as many as you want, and feel free to repeat any previously mentioned issues. If an issue is mentioned by more than one person, then obviously it weighs a little more heavily than issues that are only mentioned once.

I would, however, request that people not break into debate about these issues on the thread. Feel free to word your issue in as biased or volatile a fashion as you want, but please do not break into debate on this thread.

This is to figure out what matters to you, the voter.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
So... does no one care? Is it too early? Or are the lists so long they're just taking hours to write?

This is in regards to The ATS Mock-Presidential Election, by the way, which is why I ask.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
None of them (Including all party's here) really seem worth voting for.

Hilary- Satan

Obama- 12 years od

Rudy- Possible, not really sure about his politics, one way or other

J.Edwards-

The rest are a sesspool of inadequacy

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
None of them (Including all party's here) really seem worth voting for.

No, no, I don't mean this for any particular candidate. I mean what ISSUES should ANY presidential candidate (real or otherwise) address in order to win your vote.

For instance, are your top priorities for the next President to handle going to be Iraq? Social Security? Terrorism? Education? Environment? ETc...etc...

The reason I ask is because I'm running for the ATS mock election and I want to know what issues are important to the members on the board. After all, it is the job of a candidate to represent the views of the constituency, not the constituency to support the candidates views.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here are some issues

1. Victory in Iraq - BTW Cut and Run is not a victory.
2. Balanced Budget - Keep tax cuts in force and major cuts in spending ie. NPR, and other pork.
3. Immigration - Border Fence, mass deportation, with increased #'s of legal immigrants for balance.
4. Partial privatization of Social Security - This idea needs to be renewed.
5. Withdrawal from the United Nations

Here is another one I am going to throw out there!

States are allowed to run lotteries. How about letting them open there own Sports Books! With the recent crackdown on Online Gambling, think of all the revenues this could bring to the states. It's ridiculous that Nevada is the only state that profits from this.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Fair enough. I can't say my views meld, but its good to see what's important out there to others.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to withdraw from the UN?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
1 - National Security. This always comes first.

2 - AMERICA first. That means if we need money for the poor in Apalachia, or the poor in the Baltimore, or the poor ____ (fll in the blank) then America takes care of AMERICA first and we don't send billions of $$ in aid overseas.

3 - Infrastructure. Our bridges, roads, water systems, electrical grid ... all of it needs major work. The work on it will create jobs. The $$$ can come from not sending 'aid' overseas.

4 - Finish the job in Iraq - sooner rather than later. Once the Iraqis are trained and can manage their own country we should ge the heck out and let them take care of whatever happens. The country lines are artifically drawn over there .. If Northern Iraq (kurds) goes to Turkey, then fine. If Iran tries to pick up part of Iraq .. then let the Iraqis defend themselves. Let the other Islamic nations figure it out.

5 - Cut funding and 'aid' to any country that does not support us in the United Nations. Cut funding and 'aid' to any country that has a government that supports terrorist groups such as the radical islamic Wahabbis. No more aid to the 'palestinians' ... there are plenty of rich Islamic countries that they can turn to for money. No aid to the Israelies (forgiven debts, reduced price weaponry, etc). They have plenty of $$ and can buy whatever they need for their national security.

6 - Illegal Immigration - STOP THE FLOW. Build the wall. Put our troops on the wall. Send any and all illegals back to their countires of origin, anchor babies and all. Make student visas for foreigners much harder to get. HARSH penalties for anyone who hires illegals. No free health care for illegals. No free schooling for illegals. No drivers permits for illegals. No free ride on the backs of American tax payers for illegals. Insure that we have plenty of armed border agents and that they are supported in every way - with weapons, with vehicles, with whatever they need and that includes our SUPPORT when they end up having to use their weapons against armed illegals trying to enter this country.

7 - Fix the education system. No free rides for students that don't perform. Pass national standard tests to move on to the next grade. Fix the schools and demand students respect the school and the teachers otherwise they are out (no doubt we'll end up supporting them in the jail system, but at least the other students who want to learn will have a chance to with the bad ones out of the system). Federal financial help can come from the money that we won't be sending out in foreign aid anymore.

8 - Alternative energy sources - stop dependence on foreign oil. Wind Mill farms can be off shore - no matter what stink the John Kerry's and Ted Kennedys of the world make. There is no excuse for not having the South Western part of the USA on solar energy. There is no excuse for not having wind mill farms. There are only 'big oil' criminals to blame for this one.

9 - Drill ANWAR. Alaskans want it done. States rights - they want it, they should be able to do it. America needs the reserve fuel even when we go to total alternative energy sources. We will still need some oil, and it can come from ANWAR. Most likely there won't be an environmental impact.

10 - Investigate big oil & pharmacuticals. Seriously investigate. Spend the $$. In the end it will be worth it to get their stranglehold off of us all. Investigate the possible (probable?) problems with vaccinations. Mercury? Sterility? It's all there. Investigate, investigate, investigate. And them report to the American public.

11 - Gay Marriage? - DO NOT TOUCH the Constitution. That is a States Rights issue, or perhaps a federal issue. But do NOT touch the Constitution.

12 - Do not privatize Social Security. BAD BAD BAD. Most people don't understand the stock market and for them to invest means that many will loose everything and we will all end up having to support them anyways. Everyone should get social security benefits - no matter how little or how much they made in their lives. How to finance this? Not sure. But that's the right thing to do.

13 - Gays in the military? They are already there. If the commanders in the field say it's okay then no more 'don't ask, don't tell'.

Edited to add 14 - Health Care ... Pennsylvania has a system, I think it's called CHIPS, that provides health care to poor children. This is a model to look at for the entire country.

[edit on 2/19/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This is a wonderful subject for a thread and I don't understand why there aren't more responses to this. I'm going to post this statement in order to *bump* the thread back up to where people might notice.

*BUMP*

Seriously ya'll .... if you want to talk politics and what you want to see addressed ... and how you want it addressed .. this is a great thread for that.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well it occurs to me that I never posted the most important issues to me, even though I asked for other people's. So here's mine, in order of importance to me. I'm not going to elaborate at the moment on my particular stances, because I'm saving that for the platform I'm writing up for my campaign.

1.) National Security / Terrorism vs. Civil Liberties

2.) Resolving The Iraq Situation

3.) The 3 E's: Education, Environment, and Energy.

4.) Social Security and Health Care

5.) Balanced Budget and National Debt

Those are the most important things to me that I think the next president must address if we are to advance as a country to the next level. There are other items on my list, to be sure, but these are the 8 million pound gorillas leaping around the room that cannot be left for the next generation to deal with.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I have just spotted this thread and I do think it is important.

FlyersFan and Libra have listed most of my wants and needs. Mine perhaps would not have been in the same order.

I do have a difference with Flyers #12 Social Security. Because of our lack of workers supporting the social security system in the coming years, and the longevity of elders living on social security, I don't see the current system able to continue in any kind of fair manner. I am a poor person but I don't believe in robbing the rich to pay for the poor. Partial privatization with rules and limits would be my choice. After all, if the market goes, employment will be lost and no supporting moneys collected for social security. It is a loss both ways.

Also on Flyers #14, I don't believe in fixing the problems with National Health care. If the investigations, Flyers #10, took place, then perhaps we could lose the stranglehold of the pharmaceuticals and insurance companies and be able to take care of our own needs again.

I would add one point...abortion. I believe we must respect life before we can get the rest right.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Making peace, immigration reform, affordable health care, alternative fuel, education reform, environmental protection, reinforcement of civil libertiesertities

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
the biggest issue is rebuilding America by getting out of NAFTA!!! Kucinich for President!!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well there are a lot of issues that are important to me, but I'd have to say
the top five would be;

1. Iraq war.
Leave, but make sure they can fend for themselves at the same time.

2. Health-care & Social Security.
No privatization of health-care or social security what-so-ever, universal
health-care, nationalization of pharma companies, but that's not as
important.

3. Drug legality.
At least ending the war on drugs and decriminalizing Marijuana, at the
most total legality of drugs.

4. Global Climate Change/Environment.
Carbon caps, putting more money into clean and renewable energies,
taking a proactive step to solving and/or reversing the problems of AICC
and at least stopping it.

new topics