It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extraterrestrial UFO's Do Not Exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I used to believe wholeheartedly in the existence of extraterrestrial beings visiting our world. I grew up watching shows like In Search Of, Unsolved Mysteries, and Sightings; all of which stoked my interest and help to cast my views. But over the past few years, my perception of UFO’s has been vacillating between belief and non-belief. This is mostly due to the fact that every alleged UFO video or picture can be systematically debunked over time, if not immediately. Sometimes a strong and seemingly indisputable case arises such as the recent O’Hare sighting, but most are obvious hoaxes.

I have been an avid aviation fanatic since I was about 8 years old...that’s 22 years now. In those years I have learned to identify nearly every aircraft in the sky either by name or at least by type. I have also been involved in amateur astronomy since I am about 14 years old and over the past 7 years I have built and been operating my own personal observatory. I have spent allot of my life so far looking up both day and night and yet, I have never seen anything I cannot explain or immediately identify.

While I aim not to insult nor discourage anybody from embarking on a quest for knowledge and greater understanding, I have come to believe that UFO’s and extraterrestrial visitation do not exist. It took me a long time to come to this conclusion because, like many, “I want to believe.” I think, however, that that is the problem within the UFO community. People want so much for there to be something there that they will cling to even the smallest shred of circumstantial evidence. I admire them for their integrity and devotion to a belief but I can no longer adhere to that same belief.

I must point out that the term “UFO” has become synonymous with alien spacecraft and that is how I have been using the term up to this point. I do believe that there are things in the sky from time to time that some people are unable to identify simply because they lack experience with a certain phenomenon. By definition, those objects would certainly be “unidentified flying objects.” But as we (mankind) gain greater understanding of our physical world and the universe, we will also gain greater ability to sort fact from fiction and either confirm or deny the existence of extraterrestrial visitation.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The reasons you give are worth considering, but be careful not to extrapolate from anecdotal evidence. On the plus side, your knowledge of aviation and astronomy means you are unlikely to be easily fooled. That's good.

Another problem is with the ET hypothesis itself. It's very ill-defined. Can anyone tell me what we really know about what an ET spacecraft would look like or how it would work? No physics abuse please, just facts.....

(Crickets.)

That's the problem. We have no good model from which to make testable predictions. I think we need a more modest hypothesis - that there are anomalous aerial phenomena that remain unexplained, stripped of all the red herrings:

1. crop circles
  2. cattle mutilations
  3. abductions
  4. remote viewing
  5. and so on (fill in your favorite here)

If we can make that case, then it might merit some serious scientific study. Maybe even some funding.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by disownedsky]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Mooney: Your points are very well thought out and reasonable. I applaud the amount of thought and time that you have put into this discussion.

I really start to wonder myself sometimes. Like you, I grew up watching 'In Search Of', etal...and wanting to believe. However, over the years, it seems that every story, photo, etc. that I have seen has been debunked.

However, I have still not shut the door on the existence of ET's. This is because I can look up in the sky, see all of those stars, and still wonder, 'what if'... We are not the only planet around; so you never really know. And there still are a few events that have not been completely debunked.

Good post.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
i have to agree,

i think its far more lilely ufos are rare atmospheric phenomenon which very few people see, hence they say it was a ufo.

its the stuff people in this field beleive in...like roswell which compounds my conclusion.

there is more evidence that it was a balloon than ufo. ive looked at all the "evidence" and it just doesnt add up sorry folks. The "leading people" in the ufo field look to be in it for the money & nothing else.

sad but true.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I agree and disagree!
Here are my thoughts. We have been visited by advanced civilizations..... BUT it is not as common as most would like believe. Every light in the night sky is not an alien. In fact more than likely about 99.99999% of supposed UFOs are mis-identified Earthly phenomenon.
On the other hand..... aren't we are an interesting species at a stage in our development worthy of dropping in on and monitoring .....OCCASIONALLY!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
another debunker sockpuppet thread

sorry but this thread looks just like another debunker sockpuppet thread.

makeing claims and assuptions without any proof, links or evidence indeed...

somebody had to say it...
-> out

[edit on 16-2-2007 by AgainstSecrecy]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Prove they do not exist. Statements in the human language are wonderful, since arguements have two sides.

What's even more funny if debunker's and non-believers truly did not believe they would not even waste their time talking about it, but yet they do. See they cling to it just as much as the believers.

Ahhh! the dualities of life.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So you discount all the quality evidence and testimony on record simply because you've personally never had a sighting? That's a shame man... maybe you should go back to invading Iran and bashing Gays instead of looking for UFOs.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
contrary to his post, as our understanding of life continues to develop, more scientist are agreeing that we are NOT alone and the probability of life in this galaxy alone is very likely. the probability of life in the universe is even much greater obviously.

the more we research space, the more we find planets that are the right size and distance from their own suns that have just what it takes to produce light. [edit: I meant "life", lol]

WE simply lack the know how to further investigate.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by bizone]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Its the probabilities and the size of the universe that keep me believing and wondering and watching the skies.

I get down at times when I see all the debunked fakes and ridiculous stories and how that makes the UFO community look bad. However, I still get anxious when I scan the stars at night, just thinking what could be out there.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky
I think we need a more modest hypothesis - that there are anomalous aerial phenomena that remain unexplained, stripped of all the red herrings:

1. crop circles
  2. cattle mutilations
  3. abductions
  4. remote viewing
  5. and so on (fill in your favorite here)

If we can make that case, then it might merit some serious scientific study. Maybe even some funding.

The good news is that this is already happening, just that very few people know about it yet.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have been watching UFO files for years now, but never taking it more seriously than interesting entertainment.

Then I saw The Disclosure Project and thought it was the smoking gun, I believed! That's how I arrived to ATS in fact.

Since then I have found out that Dr. Greer is a little on the loony side himself, seen the Roswell incident downplayed to a balloon and dummies, and watched almost every photo and video debunked in some reasonable fashion.

So now I am back to skeptical.

All that keeps me here now is:
1. O'Hare: This is an interesting case, but could it just be military?
2. The Disclosure Project: It still had some great witnesses despite it's loony leader.
3. The NASA Tether, and other videos in space: But was it just space junk?
4. Stanton Friedman: The man is a genius and keeps it real.
5. I want to believe.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What about a person like me who was skeptical and never was really interested in UFOs and had a clearcut sighting and has been a believer and studying the subject ever since.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Prove they do not exist.

It's not up to him to prove they don't exist. It's up to the UFOigists to prove they do exist. So far, I don't know think it has been proven they exist. I think there's a ton of evidence, and logic would seem to say there is intelligent life outside the Earth, but that still doesn't mean there is unequivocal proof.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've been much interested in the subject "ufos, extraterrestrials, etc" for years. Some years ago, it seemed that there could be a success in disclosing the ufo stuff (Remeber Steven Greer's Press Conference concerning the Disclosure Project !)

Unfortunately there was no breakthrough ever since, although the UFO-whistleblowers would have testified their statements under oath (before Congress)

Nowadays I'm not so sure, if these whistleblowers told us the truth. Could it be that some (not all) of them are pathologicial liars, braggarts, gullible adherents of dubious "UFO-sects" I think so ! Others might have been disinformed or even deluded by the military which is involved in secret (but not extraterrestrial) technology.

What we need, is a PROOF, HARD FACTS that extraterrestrials or interdimensional beings exist and that they are and have been here on earth not only circumstantial evidence.
Neither Dr. Leirs alien implants, alleged Roswell debris, alien-Interviews or - autopsies nor crop circles, abduction stories or blurred pictures are proof enough - scientifically.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
In a way I understand Mooney's perspective. Most of the video and photo evidence is not really convincing. He seems to not believe because he has never seen the phenomenon himself and therefore has to rely on other people's experiences which may or may not be true, or may simply be cases of mis-identifying what they are seeing.

The only reason I believe is because I had 1 sighting that was definetly not a mistake and that's what keeps me looking at the skies, and hoping to one day have a better understanding of what these things are and where they come from.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by InSanE1]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShadow
I agree and disagree!
Here are my thoughts. We have been visited by advanced civilizations..... BUT it is not as common as most would like believe. Every light in the night sky is not an alien. In fact more than likely about 99.99999% of supposed UFOs are mis-identified Earthly phenomenon.
On the other hand..... aren't we are an interesting species at a stage in our development worthy of dropping in on and monitoring .....OCCASIONALLY!

You may well be right.

Maybe we need an ongoing thread r.e. the Fermi paradox: they should be here, but compelling scientific evidence eludes. Why?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here's my universal-catch-all-standardized-debunking-statement...
"How do you know it's not a government project"?

That's the problem. We don't know what the government is capable of or what they are working on. We don't know for a fact that they haven't produced some anti-gravity propulsion system. And therefore, until little green men show up on the white house front lawn (or the governement tells us UFOs are real), we can never "prove" that the pictures and video are truely UFO's because there's always a chance they could just be some secret governement project.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Prove they do not exist.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Realtruth]

I had this teacher in highschool, (it has been awhile) that said the world is flat. If anyone could prove to him otherwise, they get an "A" without having to come to class. I think just about everyone had a presintation,
but nobody got the free "A".

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think the OP post is well thought out and very civil. He even uses the word integrity to describe a hard line believer which I wouldn't do. The OP is just voicing an opinion like everyone else. I suspect he is disappointed at his conclusions but felt there was no other choice. Maybe so he could come to terms and not spend so much time thinking about it….only he knows the answer.

I would recommend that instead of just making a decision because he thinks he has to, he would be better off just keeping his mind open to possibilities. Staying on the fence as it were.

I just look up into the night sky and know that there are too many worlds out there to dismiss. They may not be visiting but that doesn't mean other life forms don't exist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join