It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend me some books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
For one of my college courses, we can pick a NON-FICTION work from 1915 and on I believe. It can be on anyone/anything the only catch is it has to be scholarly meaning it has to have a bibliography, notes and the individual who writes can't just be some random hobo off the street (like a professor or professional, etc.) Can anyone recommend me some scholarly conspiracy books or just really interesting events/people from 1915 and on which would be a perfect fit(s)?

Edit: I also saw on Amazon the novel called, "The Philadelphia Experiment," but I have no clue if the author is a professional or anything or if the book has the requirements.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by SoulofBlack]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Novels generally do not have bibliographies. Novels are fiction.

Do you mean non-fiction based on events, or facts and therefore using borrowed material that is acknowledged by way of a bibliography?

Any reputable, scholarly writer will have a a bib and even end notes and sometimes even a glossary of terms.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If you require a scholarly non fiction work I can recommend

Holy War Inc: Inside the Secret World of Osama Bin Laden by
Peter Bergen

This is a great read and I could not put it down.

see also www.peterbergen.com

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I found A pillar of iron by Taylor Caldwell to be a most excellant read. Based on the life of the great statesman Marcus Cicero and his attempts to save the Roman empire, all in vain.

Well researched, scholarly and a really good read.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Novels generally do not have bibliographies. Novels are fiction.

Do you mean non-fiction based on events, or facts and therefore using borrowed material that is acknowledged by way of a bibliography?

Any reputable, scholarly writer will have a a bib and even end notes and sometimes even a glossary of terms.

Yea, I meant non-fiction based on events primarily. I edited my post to reflect that change. The Osama thing is good, i'll have to take a look at it.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by SoulofBlack]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I found A pillar of iron by Taylor Caldwell to be a most excellant read. Based on the life of the great statesman Marcus Cicero and his attempts to save the Roman empire, all in vain.

Well researched, scholarly and a really good read.

Sounds cool but I need somethin' on a person or event from 1915 and on..hopefully not too cliche...and something as interesting as what you suggested or conspiracy oriented is a plus.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
ONE LINERS ARE NOT COOL DUDE

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Anything by John Taylor Gatto (former teacher of 30 years). His books involve the education system and are very eye opening.

Try:

Dumbing Us Down

The Underground History of American Education can be read from his website.
www.johntaylorgatto.com...

new topics

top topics

join