It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal Rubber: Roswell metal reverse-engineered? Corso was right!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hiii_98
that is mind blowingly wild. Thats the same material as described by the rosewell crash. Can you imagine owning a piece of this and then claiming it came from Rosewell? Who would dispute you? I cant be burned, cut, bends and reshapes itself...ect.. I hate being a conspiracist but... this has to have been around to many many many years and is just now being released. This is why i dont think these fantastic ufos are "alien" driven. Look if human technolgy like this is 60 years old, imagine what current technolgy the goverment is holding onto looks like and how it behaves..?

The material can be cut and burned. It just doesn't fail at 200C. 200C is less than 400 degrees F. It's a conductive elastomer with significantly improved properties, not superman suit material.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Nothing like a fast phone call!

Think of it as conductive Kapton. The base material is a Kapton variant polyimide, so it's very very similar.

If you've ever used Kapton, it DOES have a really high heat resistance. DuPont says "it won't burn" but that doesn't mean you can stick it in the fire.

Kapton is kick-ass stuff. I use it for a lot of stuff, from insulating washers to shielding to protect parts you don't want to be soldered when a board goes through a wave machine. But, it isn't superman suit plastic. From DuPont, on HN polyimide:

Kapton® is synthesized by polymerizing an
aromatic dianhydride and an aromatic diamine.
It has excellent chemical resistance; there are
no known organic solvents for the film.
Kapton® does not melt or burn as it has the
highest UL-94 flammability rating: V-0. The
outstanding properties of Kapton® permit it to
be used at both high and low temperature
extremes where other organic polymeric
materials would not be functional.

But later...

Direct application of welding arcs and torches
can quickly destroy most plastics, including all
types of Kapton® film.
For practical reasons,
therefore, it is best to remove all such parts
from equipment to be welded. Where removal
is not possible, such as in welding or cutting
coated parts, mechanical ventilation should be
provided. Because Kapton® can be used at very
high temperatures, parts made from it may
survive at locations close to the point of direct
flame contact. Thus, some in-place welding
operations can be done.

You see, when a manufacturer gives a material
property of UL 94V0, they don't mean it can't be burned
in the sense that you can't destroy it with heat. It means
that it won't support combustion. If you remove the flame
it goes out. So in the technical sense that an engineer
would use the term "won't burn", it is exactly correct.

But I don't think that is how you guys are interpreting it,
because I think you are reading "nothing will burn it up",
which is wrong. Kapton can withstand a LOT of heat, that's
why you use it for taping off gold fingers on boards going
through a dip wave, but you can torch it right in two. It won't
burn while it's coming to pieces, though.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Tom, I believe I may have given a wrong impression on the burning issue. What I should have said is that it can withstand certain temp's without burning.

You are absolutely correct in your statements.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
jbondo,

It seemed as if some of the posters were interpreting engineer-ese incorrectly. The little information they put out does lend itself to misinterpretation, especially if you "Want to Believe".

Don't get me wrong, this is fantastic stuff from an engineering perspective. But it's not "Roswell saucer skin", if such a thing exists.

There's a plastic material called polyimide. It's used for a lot of things. I use it in the form of Kapton films, as I said before. I've got several rolls of Kapton adhesive tape around here. Kapton has all the properties, with the exception of conduction, which the manufacturer in the article claims, because that's what they're using as a polymer. You use Kapton tape when you have to keep solder off of parts you don't want soldered. So if I have to get up inside a tight assembly that I don't want to damage with the iron, I will put Kapton on the wires and parts close by for a heat shield. I can burn through it with the iron, but it takes quite a while, and I'd never miss THAT long.

It's also very tough physically, so you can use it to cover parts of a PCB where you have a surface trace that might be abraded. We had a custom Kapton stick-on made once where a card slid across some surface traces going into a socket. I couldn't move the traces or the card. We always inspected that shield when we got units back for analysis, but it was never cut or scored, because Kapton is slick textured and very tough.

It doesn't stretch under reasonable loads. That's another thing they're claiming for the new material.

You can also make polyimide PCBs. Polyimide has really good RF characteristics and high heat resistance. A lot of flex circuits are made out of polyimide because it is tough and heat resistant, so you can solder on it.

Ironically, one of the main characteristics of polyimide is that it is a great insulator. So being able to make conductive Kapton that takes all the physical abuse that Kapton is good for is just amazing. This will allow them to eventually make some really tough high temp connectors that would have been a bear to do before. Also flexible cable assemblies. You see, the flex circuit thing is ok, but you can't really flex them much because the copper layer will crack and the circuit's ruined. That doesn't take a lot. One good crease, a few sharp bends, a pull or two and it's over. But with this stuff, you could make flexible flat cables that were good for high temp and immersion in solvents while NOT cracking and going dark after the first few pulls.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey Tom,

Yes, I am also familiar with polymide (Kapton). I have a great deal of experience with thermoplastics as well. Kind of a side talent as it relates to my field is thermoplastic welding.

In all honesty I was amazed at the development of this material and like many others I kind of glossed over it. However they are claiming to be able to heat it to 700 F without burning.

Here's a good place to see just how metal rubber is assembled:

www.nanosonic.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Jbondo:

They didn't want to say whose polyimide they were using. Hitachi has liquid polyimide for making thin films just like the nanosonic website describes, that's good for 500C after curing. That would cover your 700F and then some.

I'm constantly amazed at what you can get out of polyimide, it's still one of the very best polymers for thermal and chemical resistance.

These guys had a good idea. I would never have thought of it. We're piddling around with some nano stuff but mostly in how to use existing materials instead of material fab.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Tom,

I also deal in nanotechnology on a regular basis and find it to be a challenging aspect of material development. As the demands of our industries increase so too do the demands on nanotechnology.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

so you agree something craft-like crashed at roswell?

thats fine, either alien or human, i can live with either, but neither is the official story. and thats why its a buzz.

Yes i do agree something technically "craft like" did crash at roswell. I'm not convinced its a extra terrestrial flying craft however. The government is covering something up with their explinations, but again i dont think it is related to "alien technology" but rather experimental HUMAN technology.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join