It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legalizing drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

In this country, it's very free, you can do anything you want," she told the BBC's Newsnight programme. "You can smoke at 16, you can buy pot in the store next to the school. You can do what you like and because it's not illegal, it's not that interesting for us to provoke our parents with it.

I say let all things be free and people's obssesion with them will disappear whitin a month

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Replaced quote tags with 'ex' tags for external material

[edit on 15/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Not that I wish to minimize the fact that you're trying to make in this, but it's not just the legalized drugs that are the reason for childrens happiness.

There is also a strong family oriented social system in place.

From your link...

The Netherlands has always been a very child-centred society," says Paul Vangeert, professor of developmental psychology at the University of Groningen. "In particular, there is a lot of focus on young children."

He says he is not surprised by the report. "On the one hand you have objective indicators in the report like health, income and education. The Netherlands is a very rich country. On the other hand, and perhaps more importantly, are the subjective indicators, young people's own subjective sense of well-being."

CHILD WELL-BEING TABLE
1. Netherlands
2. Sweden
3. Denmark
4. Finland
5. Spain
6. Switzerland
7. Norway
8. Italy
9. Republic of Ireland
10. Belgium
11. Germany
12. Canada
13. Greece
14. Poland
15. Czech Republic
16. France
17. Portugal
18. Austria
19. Hungary
20. United States
21. United Kingdom
Source: Unicef

Key points at-a-glance
Much of this, he says, comes from the relationship that Dutch parents have with their children. And, from the fact that less pressure is put on them at school.

To place the praise upon the legality of soft drugs is a little misleading. Last I heard about it, the city centres were still a fairly dangerous place in the early evenings due to junkies looking for cash to get their regular fix.

It's been 20 years since I've been there, so things may have changed... I hope so.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
They won't legalize pot b/c the couldn't tax it. That's the reason anyway that I think its not legal

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by i_want_to_believe
They won't legalize pot b/c the couldn't tax it. That's the reason anyway that I think its not legal

Why couldnt they tax pot? They tax and regulate tobacco. Its just as easy to produce. Even easier in some places.

Im all for legalization. As long as I dont have to pay to support the addicts when they need medical attention or when they cant hold down a job.
Let people use whatever substance they want but also make them responsable for it. Not the people who stay sober and go to work everyday.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Let people use whatever substance they want but also make them responsable for it. Not the people who stay sober and go to work everyday.

Legalize it for those who do hold down a job and work every day, then get home and enjoy a smoke. We haven't banned alcohol on the basis of the many many alcoholic unemployed, nor should we.

We should deal with those who don't use responsibly in a sensible, logical manner rather than denying everyone a simple pleasure to stop the bad eggs getting lazy.

A little more education and a lot less taboo about Marijuana wouldn't go amiss either. The things I've heard from non-smokers about the effects of a "joint" range from the scared and the anxious misconceptions to downright absurd claims. As self proclaimed leaders of the modern world, we should be a lot more mature and a lot less scared of a natural pastime that goes on in millions of homes every night of the year.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think one of the factors is that weed is exactly that, a weed. You can grow it anywhere pretty much, just depends on how well it is grown. You can leave a light on in your closet and have somethign to smoke on... can't do that with tobacco and alcohol.

I think if it was legalized they would have a hard time taxing it because if it got too expensive, like tobacco, people would just grow it themselves. You can make alot more money by arresting people. You can get caught a couple times with a personal amount and not even get jail at all, just like $500 fines. You can either pay the fine or pay a lawyer 1000 or more to fight it. They don't want your time they want your money.

new topics

top topics

join