It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran mass producing stealth drones!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Iran-IRGC-Plane: Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Yahya Rahim Safavi said here Saturday Iran has started mass producing and using a stealth drone with a range of 700 kilometers.

LINK

Now do you think that will sink some American naval ships IF a war breaks out??

mod edit: changed quote tags to external quote tags
Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 15-2-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k

Not a one. Why?

the general said the drone can be used in reconnaissance operations, information gathering, picture dispatching and film shooting.

No mention of weaponry or munitions capabilities, which would certainly increase it's radar signature.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
no but it could get the position of US ships for example to send anti ship missiles, or get the position of US ground troops to send artellery or airstrike for example.. with one word everything what a drone can do

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
i see Iran keeps gearing up for a potential war
smart boys

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by asen_y2k

Not a one. Why?

the general said the drone can be used in reconnaissance operations, information gathering, picture dispatching and film shooting.

No mention of weaponry or munitions capabilities, which would certainly increase it's radar signature.

OK....This war will be very one sided(mostly), so it appears that Iran will do anything to knock some of the US eqipment out. So I was thinking why would they let out a secret. Of course for propaganda they would let out tit bits. A drone with a small to medium warhead could hit a ship(if its stealth), and could seriuosly damage it or render it wothless only to let a anti ship missile finish it off. OR they could use a drone(with no warhead) to knock of the radars and the guidance equipment of the ship/ships. Without it the ship would be blind. Considering the drones have cameras it could be VERY precise.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The probability of a drone being able to hit a US warship are very close to 0%, because the hard kill systems(gatling guns for missile defense) have no trouble shooting such a slow moving object down.

The drone have also no use for guiding missile as the ships are big enough for the shore batteries to pick them up on their long range radars.

Also the stealthiness of a drone is not proven, it is only claimed. Does the stealthiness come from the small size, radar signature or infrared signature? Just because the Iranians can't pick the drone up on their radars it doesn't mean that the US has the same problem.

Also if I wonder how the drones will react to a electronic warfare. As they are controlled from the ground jamming their communications will seriously disrupt their effectiveness.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Nah, couldn't be propaganda. People in that part of the world have never talked BIG before.

Uavs move too slow. Also Imspossible to detect? Doubt it. I am pretty sure the leader in stealth technology is capable of countering what would most likely be first generation stuff.

They only chance is at night in a preemptive attack.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Never under estimate the enemy.
Iran primary target in the event of war would be oil tankers. The drones themselves probably wouldn't sink a warship but they could play a tactical role in the sinking of a USN warship.

IF a USN warship that is bigger then a mine sweeper is sunk the TV news network will devote blanket coverage and will whip the popcorn chewing viewers into a frenzy. The crowd that thinks the US military is invisible will make lame claims to cover there previous statements.

After all that the US would still prevail in a war against Iran. The US has the ability to replace any war time losses.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I'd say the Iranians are desperate to deter a war rather than start one - they're not stupid, but backing down in the face of US pressure is not politically acceptable.

Obviously the reality of the 'stealth drone' claim is hard to assess, but this sort of technology would make things much more difficult for US operations. A blanket assumption that "oh yeah, we'll be able to shoot them down" is as bad as taking the claims at face value.

It would be very interesting to know what sort of technology is being channelled into Iran from Russia; I wouldnl;t be surprised if some expertise in stealth arrived this way.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i saw also a video from a iranian conventional drone flying over an US Carrier! it's on youtube.com and tghe drone wasnt even stealth but very small.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Danielsan79]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The fact that a drone flew over one of our carriers doesn't really say much. It just means that they can take videos in peace time. I was actually aboard a carrier once a few years back and I'm just a civie. So at the moment I can say that as a middle schooler (at the time, high school now) I've gotten closer than the Iranian military has. But there's no way that I could ever blow up said carrier. Taking pictures of it was one thing because the navy was nice enough to let me, trying to deliver munitions to it is something else.

On to mass production of stealth drones, that raises a lot of questions.

The Iranian defense industry is considerably smaller than the USA's, so what kind of numbers will "mass production" churn out?

Are these actually stealth? Or did they just paint them black?

Can they actually prove that they can fly over a US carrier battle group without being detected?

Can they carry munitions? If so how much? And how much will that impact it's "stealth" and flight performance?

What are the chance's that these would be used for a preemptive strike?

Is there any possibility of using their drones as an AWACS for their F-14's (assuming that they're still operational, which is questionable), similar to how the F-22 can do the same for US fighters?

How much longer is this dick measuring contest between Amadinejad and Bush going to continue?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
wembley

Your forgetting about Americas EMP bomb. Someone else already mentioned it on this thread. That will take away Irans communications (drones, etc) just like we did in Iraq. Thats one reason why we rolled right over them so quickly. They couldnt communicate with commanders on the ground. It was like shooting fish in a bucket for the coalition forces. I suspect the same would go for Iran.

So these 'stealth drones' just became obsolete, along with the rest of Irans cracker jack box toys.

Also, I find it amusing how the iranians boast about such primitive technology as if its going to make a lasting impact in a war or change the tide of a war if it ever did happen to break out between the US and Iran. Drones will not win a war all on their own. Besides, if that were the case, America has a clear edge over Iran in that department.. Put another way, our drones do a whole lot more then just aerial reconnaissance.

Also, your talking to the US baby. We have technology that is worth being kept secret. You dont see us boasting about our "black projects" now do you? Thats the difference between a successful military, and a unsuccessful military like that of russia and Irans militarys. We have the technology they dont... We also have the money, THEY DONT!

I recall a couple months back when Iran was "testing" "new weapons" as part of a war games exercise. One US general was reported as saying that the weapons Iran was testing were like nothing more then toys out of your cereal box. They look nice, but in a real time war situation they would become a pipe dream.

[edit on 082828p://0202pm by semperfoo]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
The fact that a drone flew over one of our carriers doesn't really say much. It just means that they can take videos in peace time. I was actually aboard a carrier once a few years back and I'm just a civie. So at the moment I can say that as a middle schooler (at the time, high school now) I've gotten closer than the Iranian military has. But there's no way that I could ever blow up said carrier. Taking pictures of it was one thing because the navy was nice enough to let me, trying to deliver munitions to it is something else.

On to mass production of stealth drones, that raises a lot of questions.

The Iranian defense industry is considerably smaller than the USA's, so what kind of numbers will "mass production" churn out?

Are these actually stealth? Or did they just paint them black?

Can they actually prove that they can fly over a US carrier battle group without being detected?

Can they carry munitions? If so how much? And how much will that impact it's "stealth" and flight performance?

What are the chance's that these would be used for a preemptive strike?

Is there any possibility of using their drones as an AWACS for their F-14's (assuming that they're still operational, which is questionable), similar to how the F-22 can do the same for US fighters?

How much longer is this dick measuring contest between Amadinejad and Bush going to continue?

Cyberdude. Good points. I look at this as nothing more then pure Iranian propaganda. Its to make the average Iranians think they could atcually do something if we did infact invade them. And before anyone goes on telling me that im underestimating the enemy, im not fighting the enemy for one, Im not a soldier in other words. So dont concern yourself with that.. Its my right and duty as an american citizen to say whatever I damn well please.

[edit on 042828p://3702pm by semperfoo]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
def propaganda like most countries. They have to talk tough i guess to appease a certain group of people. Iran just reminds me of russia when it comes to saying we have this and that and boast about it.

join