It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Image from Hubble

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I am constantly amazed at the images transmitted from the HST. The site that this image came from is one of my favorite sites to go to for, in my opinion, the best images from outer space.
There are literally hundreds more images just like this one for everyone that is interested

Source Page

mod edit to reduce image size Please read this link-ATTN: Image Size Guidelines

[edit on 15-2-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I had no idea it would take up so much of the page here lol.. sorry mods

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Lol. You certainly claimed the space on the page here,
and thank you for sharing that archive. I always was wondering if there is a type of Hubble Feed...

7A

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
What is this an image of? It looks like a flower of gas with a center of light.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
LoL yea, like i said, i had no idea it would take up the entire page but as cool as it is i think it deserves it haha.
99% of my desktop backgrounds come from this page

Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.

2007 February 15
explanation: Planetary nebula NGC 2440 has an intriguing bow-tie shape in this stunning view from space. The nebula is composed of material cast off by a dying sun-like star as it enters its white dwarf phase of evolution. Details of remarkably complex structures are revealed within NGC 2440, including dense ridges of material swept back from the nebula's central star. Near the center of the view, the star itself is one of the hottest known, with a surface temperature of about 200,000 kelvins. About 4,000 light-years from planet Earth toward the nautical constellation Puppis, the nebula spans over a light-year and is energized by ultraviolet light from the central star. The false-color image was recorded earlier this month using the Hubble's Wide-Field Planetary Camera 2(WFPC2), demonstrating still impressive imaging capabilities following the failure of the Advanced Camera for Surveys.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Thank you for resizing it for me sanctum, sorry about that

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
stunning photo...thanks for the link.
I love looking at photos like these, but it does make my head hurt when i start realising that each point of light is a star which in turn might have its own planets....amazing...thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yea I definitely agree, it is amazing. When Im talking with someone about the probability of the existence of aliens, one of the first things I say is, with all galaxies that contain countless stars there are going to be planets on at least a fraction of these stars.
Of course not all of the planets can sustain a life form but there are going to be some that will, ranging from single celled organisms to, in my opinion, very intelligent races of aliens.
It really sucks that space is so huge and these galaxies and solar systems have to be so far apart lol..

Originally posted by geek101
stunning photo...thanks for the link.
I love looking at photos like these, but it does make my head hurt when i start realising that each point of light is a star which in turn might have its own planets....amazing...thanks

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There were some photos on there that i felt really envious of...and those were the ones taken on earth of skies so full of stars, its unbelieavable.
I think myself lucky if i can see 20 stars around here. To be able to look up and see a sky that is littered with them...wow.
I wish someone would turn off all the streetlights once a month, just so we city dwellers can see the full beauty.

I've been saving loads of these photos for my desktop too

originally posted by KrOnOs:
It really sucks that space is so huge and these galaxies and solar systems have to be so far apart lol

i know...lol....do you ever do that thing where you try to imagine how far 40 million light years is?....

[edit on 16-2-2007 by geek101]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The universe certainly presents some dazzling images.. Anyone who doesn't see the beauty of the universe is blind to beauty itself!!

The above image is one of my favorites. It almost looks like an eye.

Here is another image

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Just to say thanks Geek101 - fabulous link to add to Favourites.

Who needs art, when you can look at those all day.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
SpeakerofTruth......thanks for those....i have seen the eye one before. Its just impossible to grasp how big these things are. I heard that one of the towers of gas in the Horse Head Nebula was something like a light year long itself.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
Just to say thanks Geek101 - fabulous link to add to Favourites.

Who needs art, when you can look at those all day.

it wasnt me....
....it was KrOnOs who posted the link....but i agree they are certainly something you can sit there with and look at for ages.
Credit where credit is due....KrOnOS in this case

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here is one that actually looks like an eye. You can see a pupil and everything:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
is that for real?

wow...that is amazing. What is that part of? I have never seen that one before.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Here is another image

Anybody else notice that someone is flipin' us a huge cosmic bird in the upper left of this pic?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkblueskyAnybody else notice that someone is flipin' us a huge cosmic bird in the upper left of this pic?

lol....didnt notice that.
What is a Nebula anyway? Is it part of a galaxy or part of a galaxy cluster?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Its freaken cool...With the dust lines spreading out it must be another galaxy. It beautiful, if that is what it is then its like one giant explosion that took a million years just to get were its at.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
is that for real?

wow...that is amazing. What is that part of? I have never seen that one before.

It's very real. It is part of Eta Carina...

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Que Music:

Space, the final Frontier

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join