It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Submerged Objects=Giant Squid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
For those who didnt hear the news today, Japanese researchers caught a giant squid on camera attacking set bait. While attacking, it emitted flashes of "blinding" light under the water.

It has been documented that various underwater organisms, including smaller squid, are luminescent to a certain degree. But giant squid have only recently been photographed.

I realize that this might not explain ALL USO incidents, specifically Shag Harbor where an object was heard crashing into the water followed by lights underwater. But couldnt it drastically cut down the number of legitimate cases?

Here is the link to the video/story. .

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 15-2-2007 by amongus]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Giant squid live at depths of 1000 meters. I am a total beliver of the ufo craze, that's the only reason why I am here, but this is really getting redicous. Sorry to offend anyone.

Wait a minute, I took a dump in my toilet, it looks like a shape I have never seen before, It's a uso!

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yes they live very deep in the water, which is why theyre rarely seen alive. In fact the up untill recently the only ones ever seen were the ones that died and washed up on shore or were caught in fishing nets.
Im gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that any body of water that has "harbor" in its name, probably isnt several thousand feet deep and with that in mind, its doubtful that a giant or colossal squid would be there.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
From what we KNOW they do live in the deep ocean waters, however that does not mean that they could not surface to the shallow waters to feed. Here are some facts from a study on found deceased giant squid.

This dietary synopsis shows that deep-water pelagic cephalopods and fish are prevalent in gut contents of trawled giant squid, and that a surprising diversity of shallow-water benthic or sessile organisms may also appear in the guts of stranded specimens.

This might point to the squid coming into shallow waters to feed on occasion. If thats the case, and that they are now known to flash brilliant bright lights when attacking their prey, seems like they could be mistaken for an underwater UFO or USO.

I am not saying that true USO's dont exist, just stating that this could account for the majority of sightings.

William, are you saying that you dont believe in USO's, or that this isnt a legit theory to what USO's really are?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I photographed a UFO over the bay that I live on a couple of years ago. I believe that it was in a descent pattern on its way to landing in the bay going to an submerged base.
Whats funny is, the manager of the condo that I live at told the postman about the pic i took but said nothing about my theory of an underwater base in the bay.
When she told him about the pic, he said "oh yea, Ive known about a base under the bay for years"
Was he kidding or not? I dont know but i thought his comments were interesting.
Several people living on the upper floors of my building report to the manager all the time about seeing unusual lights traveling just underwater in the middle of the bay.
I live on the ground floor and Ive never seen these myself

There have been no squid reported in the bay though, which is very shallow except in the channel.
However, over the past 5 years weve had a 20 foot whale get trapped in there and a 10 foot Mako shark wash up on one of the beaches

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Actually I was wondering how long it was going to take for someoe to post exactly what you did. I don't think that's is the correct answer.

What concerns me is the fact the species move when an event is about to happen. Even though there is earthquake activity around the Ring of Fire 24/7 I wonder if something deep underground in those area is going on. Ufo's are in the deepest of our waters and some of the deepest waters are in that area. There has been more activity lately in those areas with both Ufo's and creatures from the deep.

I think this is something we should keep our eyes on.

I do think however, squid being the answer for USO is totally wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'd first find out the max intensity and frequency at which a giant squid can "fire" its bioluminescence. Then compare this data to the USO reports and look for correlation.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Sorry but are you speaking of my post or the original poster?

Originally posted by observe50
Actually I was wondering how long it was going to take for someoe to post exactly what you did. I don't think that's is the correct answer.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Sorry but I am a wee bit confused about the point of the thread!?

Let me see if I have this right, a giant squid is photographed...got it and read about it! The squid id bioluminescent, got that too.

Now, are you (whowever wants to respond) asking or claiming that the squid is a USO/alien life form or just noting the fact and wondering if some of the USO sightings may have actually just been giant squid??

Sorry for the confusion, just want to be clear before I throw in my .02.
Interesting post by the way...and the theory about global catastrophes is pretty interesting as well.

Peace, Mondo

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sorry, I wasn't talking about you..... I was talking about the one that started the post.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
giant squid will only go into shallow water or near the surface of the ocean willingly on one condition. The water must be absolutly fridgid. The reason being is that the squid blood is very thin on it's red blolod cell count. It can't hold much oxygen(the blood) For the squid (archituthus) to get enough oxygen the water must be sufficiently dense to carry enough O2. Gaint Squids will literally suffucate if they go too shallow, if the water is above the temperature they require. Squids may be seen near the surface up around the arctic or baring strait cause it's so cold, but not where the water is warmer. Shag harbor was/is probably too warm.

Squisa are found washed ashore in warm water areas,becuase scientists specukate that a warm current swept in and killed the squid, which are boyant and float to the surface and get washed ashore.

The shallow water Flora/flauna found in their gut could be from when they are up in the extreamly cold regions near the surface. Or were 'ingested' on accident once the dead squid has floated up to the surface. (ie. made their own way into the animals gut) Maybe some of the shallow water stuff found in the animals gut was stuff that sunk down to lower oceanic strata.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Sorry but I am a wee bit confused about the point of the thread!?

Let me see if I have this right, a giant squid is photographed...got it and read about it! The squid id bioluminescent, got that too.

Now, are you (whowever wants to respond) asking or claiming that the squid is a USO/alien life form or just noting the fact and wondering if some of the USO sightings may have actually just been giant squid??

Sorry for the confusion, just want to be clear before I throw in my .02.
Interesting post by the way...and the theory about global catastrophes is pretty interesting as well.

Peace, Mondo

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I was proposing that that SOME of the USO sightings could be explained by giant squid as we find out more info about their species. For the record, and for those who dont take the time to read my posts, I clearly state that THIS DOES NOT DEBUNK ALL USO INCIDENTS. I am just taking the other side of the coin in trying to come up with an "earthly" reason for SOME of the sightings.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

No worries, and by the way...I finally noticed that the thread title actually describes what you are saying, my apologies for not being thorough.

Anyway, you have an intersting thread going here, could definitley be something to it as we really know less about our oceans than we do the moon and other planets. Who knows what other, "alien" although terrestrial creatures lurk in the depths of our own home and could be cause for a great many things.

Peace and thanks for the reply Amongus, Mondo

top topics

join