It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Theory Explains Dark Galaxies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The darkest galaxies in the universe, made nearly entirely of matter which researchers think can zip right through normal matter with virtually no effect, now might be explained by a new scientific model that sheds light on their strange existence.

Scientists have proposed that some or most dark matter interacts with normal matter very weakly, meaning it can pass right through us and the planet with virtually no effect.
There are believed to be as many as 10,000 dark matter particles in any given cubic meter of space in the solar system.

The origins of galaxies dominated by dark matter have been a mystery to scientists.
Now Kazantzidis and his colleagues have developed a scientific model that might explain their creation.

"The most important implication of these findings is the fact that the new understanding of the origin of dwarf spheroidals may soon lead to fundamental insights into the nature of dark matter," Kazantzidis said.
"Elucidating the nature of dark matter is one of the grandest challenges of modern-day science."

The new model was tested via months of simulations of galaxy formation on a number of supercomputers around the world.
It entails a combination of cosmic ultraviolet rays, an intergalactic version of wind resistance and gravitational tides.

SOURCE:
Space.com

I am always interested when a new theory dealing with
Dark Matter comes around.

So this was interesting to me.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The article mentions "10,000 dark matter particles per given cubic metre of space"..

What is the average concentration of "light" matter particles, just to compare?

Also, is it possible that dark matter is..erm....out of phase (sorry to borrow a term from SG-1) with our own matter, hence the weak interaction and difficulty (or nigh on impossibility) of detecting it?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
The article mentions "10,000 dark matter particles per given cubic metre of space"..

Err, not sure, but I'd think it's like 2,500, but than solar sytems are
more densely populated than intergalactic and even interstellar space.
So, I'm not sure, good question though.

Also, is it possible that dark matter is..erm....out of phase (sorry to borrow a term from SG-1) with our own matter, hence the weak interaction and difficulty (or nigh on impossibility) of detecting it?

Well, that's the thing about Dark Matter, no one's quite sure just what
it is, only that it exists, andis directly invisible to us, byt can subse-
quently only be observed through it's indirect effects on normal matter.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Originally posted by stumason

Err, not sure, but I'd think it's like 2,500, but than solar sytems are
more densely populated than intergalactic and even interstellar space.
So, I'm not sure, good question though.

So, even though 4 times more dense than "normal" matter (even though, by definition, we are the exotic matter as our stuff occurs less) it's interactions can only really be observed on the Galactic level.

This too me sounds like there is an extremely weak link between our own matter and this mystery stuff that makes up 80% of the Universe, almost to the point where it is negligable unless you scale up to Galaxies or Galactic Clusters.

[edit on 14/2/07 by stumason]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
i have only recently heard about dark matter and have no idea what it is. could someone shed some light?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by drewbacca
i have only recently heard about dark matter and have no idea what it is. could someone shed some light?

If only. Thats the whole crux of the issue. No one actually know's what it is. Just that there is something there.

new topics

top topics

join