It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This will make Isaac Asimov turn in his grave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Metal storm is an automatic weapons system that in the configuration I know of can fire up to 6000 rounds a minute without the help of a human operator.
Talk about collateral damage. In my opinion, just keep this thing away from me. Makes me think of the “Robocop incident”.

Metal storm pics from the source

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There's no way that a 4 barreled 40mm grenade launcher(which is pictured here) is firing at that cyclic rate. The A-10s 30mm gun w/ 7 barrels max cyclic rate is 4,200 rounds per minute, and the Vulcan 20mm at 6,000/min w/ 6 barrels.

Speaking of collateral damage, the cyclic rate isn't the amount of rounds being fired per minute. Typically these types of systems will fire short bursts lasting no more than a few seconds, and fired(not wildy spraying) at a specific aim point. Even fired from an AC130 gunship, the circular error of probability is within 1-3 meters.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It's very possible and has also been discussed several times here on ATS.

Try using the search function for finding other threads, there are several topics that discuss this subject pretty well.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well it says here that it can fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute!

Pretty Devastating.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Xeros]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Actually I meant collateral damage as in shooting everything that moves in front of it. The cyclic rate is insignificant because even if you have one accurate shot per target you’re still probably going to get allot of kills. All depend I think on the aiming system and how the AI works in tracking the targets ect. And by the way, hoe I understand the principle, I think the concept is not meant to be used with 40 mm grenades but with a chain gun of some type.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
It's very possible and has also been discussed several times here on ATS.

Try using the search function for finding other threads, there are several topics that discuss this subject pretty well.

Shattered OUT...

I'm not arguing about the cyclic rates that can be achieved in the right systems, but the one in that picture most certainly wouldn't achieve it.
The ones in the youtube videos posted by Xeros are certainly capable of achieving this though.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think thiw will answer you question guys...

Flash streamed video

Might still not be 6000 rounds per minute though I'm sure it's still devastating.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The really cool thing is the metal storm aircraft weapon pods. I saw a video linked from ATS that showed its capabilites. The pilot marks targets on a computer screen, and metal storm devestates the area. And since you mentioned robocop, check out this thing the pentagon wants.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
*cough* Australian invention

top topics

join