It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss bunker for 20,000 people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Many historians will agree the fall of the Berlin Wall marked the end of the Cold War, but in Switzerland the threat of nuclear war has left an unexpected legacy

check this out :

news.bbc.co.uk...

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Seems like a bad idea to me.

It might be a lot more feasible to have a number of smaller shelters, with lower capacity. That would seem to reduce the risk of mob mentality, chaos, riots, things of that nature. It looks like they came to the same conclusion, and are having problems with the sheer size of at least one of the components. Nevermind the people problem, there's also the presence of significant engineering hurdles.

The Japanese might be able to pull this off, with even more people, but I would still be skeptical. They just have the advantage of that peculiar group mentality and a comfort level with crowds that far exceeds any other nation. If anyone could pull off mega-bunkers, it would probably be them. They'd still have to overcome the tech hurdles, but they're no slouches in that department.

In the event of a catastrophic situation, the LAST place I'd want to be is in a confined space with 20k other people. Maybe that's just me.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Every swiss citizen has a bed in a bunker somewhere.
Some claim that many of the bunkers have been 'decommissioned', but who knows?
I agree, I wouldnt want to be in a bunker with 20k other people, but a crowded bunker is better then no bunker.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
sodom

thats why i have my own personal bunker under my house.
my little "luftschutzraum".
the prob. is that there is no bed in it, because the bunker is full of fine wine and food...

but who needs a bed

sodom

new topics

top topics

join