It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on the Uzi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I am currently considering purchasing an Uzi. Not a class 3 one, just a semi auto one from Vector arms.

Are there any Uzi owners here on ATS? Any type of uzi, I plan to buy the full size, but anyone with any type of Uzi is welcomed to post their opinions of this weapon.

This is a pretty scarce gun here in the US, but I think they have recently been able to import them from Israel now so I am curious about it. Any aspects of its performance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
In the UK we tested them for the special forces because of their size, they were very quickly abandoned and nicknamed "Telephone booth guns" because you have to be in the same telephone booth to hit someone.

Seriously the things are completly inaccurate, a terrible weapon the best they could be used is to scare people off.

The uzi is popularily used by Gangs e.t.c. mostly because of it's cult status as action heroes weapon of choice in the movies.

I'd strongly reccomend you purchase the MP5K Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) it is also small and light but almost has the accuracy of a larger rifle!

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Where you testing the 9mm or the .45ACP version? I think you would be right if you were using the 9mm because of the short range of that round. I would probably get an Uzi in .45 ACP. I am aware of their cult status, however I read that they were effective in clearing out bunkers and such in the 1967 war.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Where you testing the 9mm or the .45ACP version? I think you would be right if you were using the 9mm because of the short range of that round. I would probably get an Uzi in .45 ACP. I am aware of their cult status, however I read that they were effective in clearing out bunkers and such in the 1967 war.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

We tested the 9mm version because of the rounds charicteristics of staying in the body, if a round went straight through it risked harming hostages etc.

the reason it was good at clearing bunkers was because of the fact it "sprays" bullets. If your trying to clear a room that may contain friendly's that characteristic of "spraying" is no good. I would imagine the .45 version would be just as innacurate as I beleive the innacuracy come from the guns configuation, not the ammunition.

I would reccomend you to think of the uses you want a weapon for and then decide, if your expecting to use it against a stationary group of people in a confined space then the Uzi will be effective, especially if you have little or no training.

If you are proficient in shooting and you are expecting to attack a building I would again recommend the MP5K PDW

If you are looking for something to be used outside then for the price you cant beat the effectivness of the M16 Assault rifle and the fact that it uses NATO standard ammunition means a supply of Ammo will never be a problem should you ever find yourself in a war environment.

If you could afford it and you want the best all round weapon IMO of all time then buy yourself the HK G36 Assault rifle, it's an awesome rifle!

[edit on 14/2/07 by Jimmy1880]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Uzi is the empitomy of a spray-and-pray weapon. Jimmy is dead-on. If you want a weapon to shred a room and have no other intent than to kill/wound everyone in it the Uzi is for you. But going with a semi-auto version eliminates the only possible 'benefit' of the weapon.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My family(dad) has a uzi in Pakistan. The full auto version.

And it's not a poor quality copy it's the real thing. It's a peice of #.

Don't get one. It's only good for looking cool and something to talk about with your freinds. But it is not practicle. The only reason why Israel uses it is becuase they don't have to pay royaltee fee's to other countries for using there design patents and with he UZI they can cheeply manufacture large qauntities for use.

Seriously if you want a semi/full auto machine pistol you might as well go for a mac-10 becuase they are cheaper and just as rubbish while giving you the same benifits of a uzi (what ever those benifits might be :puz

Listen to the guy above get one of the following instead :

- POF(Pakistan Ordinance Factories) MP5
- Iranian MP5k
- German/America MP5 or copies
- MAC-10 / MAC-11
- Glock 18 or similar
- Tec-9
- Styer TMP
- Czech Skorpion pistol
- AK-47u pistol or Ak-74u

Personally i would try and get ahold of a ak-47u shorty pistol which is a shrinked cutdown ak-47/74 turned into a MP5k type sub machine gun weapon they are also quite "cheap" and can be purchased for under $600.

Don;t get baited into beliving the UZI is all that becuase it's not the only reason why it's "cool" is becuase of rap music, Movies and propaganda and when has anybody ever consulted a rap star or a movie about military information.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I've got one with both the .45ACP and 9mm kits.

The shorty barrel sucks. No doubt about it.

The longer barrel is ok, it is no less accurate than any other sidearm I have, but it's a bit heavy and unwieldy for a sidearm role, and not as accurate or dependable as a short rifle like an M4 or one of the MP5 variants.

So it's sort of a mutant hybrid that's not as good as either thing it could be used for.

It is, however, the best IMI firearm I have had. The other ones sucked so bad I disposed of them in short order.

top topics

join