It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis are using Google Earth to survive there everyday lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Google is playing an unlikely role in the Iraq war. Its online satellite map of the world, Google Earth, is being used to help people survive sectarian violence in Baghdad.

As the communal bloodshed has worsened, some Iraqis have set up advice websites to help others avoid the death squads.

One tip - on the Iraq League site, one of the best known - is for people to draw up maps of their local area using Google Earth's detailed imagery of Baghdad so they can work out escape routes and routes to block.

It's another example of the central role technology plays in the conflict - with the widespread use of mobile phones, satellite television as well as the internet - by all sides and for many purposes.

Link

I thought that this article might be of interest.
Here we have an example of people using a resource that is available to them without great difficulties or prior planning. Of course you can do the same thing with a map but you have to have the map with you. Google Earth would be available on most computers that connected to the internet.

The mustard also cuts both ways the insurgents and death squads can use Google Earth to plan there bloodshed.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You sure of that?

Since most parts don't have regular electricity and most of the phone system is out of action, I can't really see too many people using google earth there.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Do many of them even have electricity? Why doesn't this seem realistic to me?

Ether way, ironic that the Iraqis would use an American program to help them out.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by krugger
Since most parts don't have regular electricity and most of the phone system is out of action, I can't really see too many people using google earth there.

There are internet cafe's throughout baghdad.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I know an U.S. civilian who was working in Iraq. While there he was online everyday like we are here. Don't know if he's still there though.

new topics

top topics

join