It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

96% of Finns Have Boadband Internet Access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Ninety-six percent of Finns have access to broadband Internet and 50 percent to third-generation (3G) mobile telephony, a study published by the communications ministry showed.

Four out of five municipalities now offer high-speed internet connections, compared to two out of three two years ago.

The difference between the number of municipalities with broadband and the number of people using it is explained by the heavy concentration of people living in urban areas.

Finland, which is home to the world's biggest mobile phone maker Nokia, has one of the world's highest levels of new technology penetration.

According to official statistics and professional organisations, more than 75 percent of Finns regularly or occasionally use Internet.
For those under the age of 40, the figure is 100 percent.

Meanwhile, the rate of mobile telephony use exceeds 100 percent, which means that there is more than one mobile phone per person in the country of 5.2 million inhabitants.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

This was one of those htings that was both surprising and not surprising at the same time to me.

I knew that northern Europe had alot of advanced netowrk
technology and was highly connected, but still 96% of the
population has access to broadband internet.

I found it odd that most people aslo have more than one
mobile phone, I don't know anyone who has more than one,
apart from the obsolete 5 year old ones they don't use anymore.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Around where I live some guys have 2 phones, so that when someone comes to you with a knife for your phone, (which happens a lot here in london) they can give them their cheapest phone, but if they search them their basicaly screwed.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The 100% under the age of 40 really doesnt suprise me, not for europe.
We here in the western world would like to think that we are technologically advanced... but when you compare the United States to most European and Asian countries, you find that the US is practically in the dark ages when it comes to technology use.

I'm usually suprised when I see the numbers for how many people in the US simply dont know how to use a computer... those numbers are still startling when you look at the youth in the US... yes, there are actually kids in the US who don't know how to use a computer... kinda screwy isnt it?

Here's a link to internet usage per continent...
www.internetworldstats.com...

Did you know that there are actually over 90 Million americans who do not and never have used the internet?! Thats over 30% of americans.

See what I mean by screwy?

[edit on 13-2-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Did you know that there are actually over 90 Million americans who do not and never have used the internet?! Thats over 30% of americans.

Um...and that 90 million must include the babies/toddlers/pre pubescent children/and illegal immigrants.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I found it odd that most people aslo have more than one
mobile phone, I don't know anyone who has more than one,
apart from the obsolete 5 year old ones they don't use anymore.

Comments, Opinions?

I know a lot who do.. They do it to avoid unnecessary trouble. But that's another topic which has to do with the relationships forum on BTS.

But still amazing that 96% of Finns have that. I didn't know that a very high percentage of them live in Urban area's.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Um...and that 90 million must include the babies/toddlers/pre pubescent children/and illegal immigrants.

No, I took children into account. It's still 90 Million.

As for elderly thats no excuse. It's still shameful.

And you mentioned illegal immigrants... since when did illegal immigrants fill out census forms? Obviously they weren't included in this.

So yeah, still 90 million... wanna try to make up some more excuses?

[edit on 14-2-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I don't find it surprising. Isn't Nokia Finnish? And didn't some Finnish kid create Linux (Linus Torvalds), or something? They also have great Heavy Metal bands!
\m/

The whole of Scandinavian countries are WAY ahead in the future. Maybe not as far as Japan, or Korea, but they're miles ahead of us here in the states.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Just to clarify things, this 96% percent figure is the percentage of people who could buy it if they wanted to, not the total number that actually have it.

According to Wikipedia, the percentage of those who actually do have broadband Internet access is 25% and is surpassed by Denmark at 29.3%. The United States is at 19.2%.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

You said 90 million=30% of Americans. That is 30% of the 300 million people population in which that includes illegal immigrants/toddlers/babies/kids.

So you are wrong. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

You said 90 million=30% of Americans. That is 30% of the 300 million people population in which that includes illegal immigrants/toddlers/babies/kids.

So you are wrong. Sorry.

Man, you really aren't paying attention are you?

These results are the census results.

BABIES AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DONT FILL OUT CENSUS FORMS!

lol...
and anyways 300 Million + recorded... that wouldnt include illegal immigrants, as THEY DONT FILL OUT CENSUS FORMS... 30% of 300 million is 90 million... way to prove you cant do math.

Man oh man, you know, it's bad enough that the US has such a low rate of internet and computer users... then you come along and prove you A) Cant do math, and B) Cant pay attention.

I shal repeat...
Babies, and Illegal immigrants DONT fill out census forms. They are not included in census results for internet usage.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Here are some figure's from the OECD:

Over the past year, the number of broadband subscribers in the OECD increased 33% from 136 million in June 2005 to 181 million in June 2006. This growth increased broadband penetration rates in the OECD from 11.7 in June 2005 to 15.5 subscriptions per 100 inhabitants one year later. The main highlights for the first half of 2006 are:

Northern European countries have continued their advance with high broadband penetration rates. In June 2006, six countries (Denmark, the Netherlands, Iceland, Korea, Switzerland and Finland) led the OECD in broadband penetration, each with at least 25 subscribers per 100 inhabitants.

Denmark now leads the OECD with a broadband penetration rate of 29.3 subscribers per 100 inhabitants.

The strongest per-capita subscriber growth comes from Denmark, Australia, Norway, the Netherlands, Finland, Luxembourg, Sweden and the United Kingdom. Each country added more than 6 subscribers per 100 inhabitants during the past year.

Fibre to the home is becoming increasingly important for broadband access, particularly in countries with high broadband penetration. In Denmark, Danish power companies are rolling out fibre to consumers as they work to bury overhead power lines. Municipal broadband projects are also expanding in many northern European countries and throughout the OECD. Telecommunciation operators in several OECD countries have also begun or announced large fibre-to-the-premises rollouts.

Japan leads the OECD in fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) with 6.3 million fibre subscribers in June 2006. Fibre subscribers alone in Japan outnumber total broadband subscribers in 22 of the 30 OECD countries.

The total number of ADSL subscriptions in Korea and Japan have continued to decline as more users upgrade to fibre-based connections.

DSL continues to be the leading platform in 28 OECD countries. Cable modem subscribers outnumber DSL in Canada and the United States.

The United States has the largest total number of broadband subscribers in the OECD at 57 million representing 31% of all broadband connections in the OECD.

Canada continues to lead the G7 group of industrialized countries in broadband penetration.

The breakdown of broadband technologies in June 2006 is as follows:
o DSL: 63%
o Cable modem: 29%
o Other technologies (e.g. satellite, fibre and fixed wireless) : 8%
OECD

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

lol...
and anyways 300 Million + recorded... that wouldnt include illegal immigrants, as THEY DONT FILL OUT CENSUS FORMS... 30% of 300 million is 90 million... way to prove you cant do math.

"Did you know that there are actually over 90 Million americans who do not and never have used the internet?! Thats over 30% of americans. "

Okay that is what you typed.

Now, no I am not surprised that 30% of Americans have not used the internet (which is 90 million), because you are including it out of EVERYBODY. You didn't put restrictions like, "30% of Americans aged 20-60 have or don't even use the internet". You are basing it on a whole pool of ages, which include babies/toddlers/etc.

Now if you use the 90 million people who are adults that have not used the internet that would be like 1/2 of able internet users.

And I know that isn't right.

I hope you get it now. It is kind of like Bush saying:

Well hey...only 90 million people hate me so that means I have a 70% approval rating.

That would be WRONG. Kind of like how you are. Because the 300 million includes people of all ages and illegal immigrants, many of whom don't even know who Bush is. It would be like 1/2 of the population (basing it on voters/able voters).

Got it now?

[edit on 15-2-2007 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The Finns created a fierce network of cellphones. Nokia was created by them. The thing is that the terrain is too spread out and rocky to lay land lines. It would be too expensive to have stationary phones. Cellphones in Finnland are quite inexpensive compared to American Cellphones. The government taxes technology.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
100% of the two us here on the farm want broadband by we are limited to dialup. For a cost around 100 to 125 dollars a month we could have ISDN or SAT. ISDN at 256kb.

This is dispite (from the ATT field tech) the fact that our phone lines connect to a fibre optic trunkline one mile away.

Now in the cities, DSL can be had for the same or less then what we pay for the dialup. It's like being in 1980 out here. Had to give up a great internet connection and servers to move here. Oh well, someday...

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hellos from the darkness of Finland (evil laughter)

once our technological superiority program is complete
we shall rule the worl... umm the charts in every form
of tech.

muhahahahaa

once we have achived our ultimate goals we will rule the...

no wait...

hmm.. bring peace and prosperity for all.. oh yes.

and umm.. Nokia you say? of course.. you see. every nokia
cell fone has this small nuclear... um.. numeral advantage
of being a jolly good phone in years to come whilest Motorola
obviosly lacks everything neat.

----

(on the not so "mentally-ill view" of things.. you can allways
make charts and scale them up with multitude of ways.)

oh yes. i have a broadband.. every body who lives in this house has a broadband. i have three cellphones from which i use only one.
the others are just old ones. i like to keep one on reserve
if my phone brakes.. the others im just too lazy to get a rid off.

main things that affect this number you are wondering is also in the
culture. we Finns are very quiet folks in comparison to lets say..
the Brits. most of us cant do small talk. if you ask from a Finnish
person "hows the weather?" he/she probably thinks your neck
is broken and you cant see for your self.
its just how we are. we have plenty of landscape wilderness and forrestry..
low population. that 5.2million. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

anyhows.. the cellfones i think, have contributed something
to our culture. what comes to the internet access, its not
bad here but it could be much better.

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Lempo]

new topics

top topics

join