It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiker's Map of Mars Created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

When space travelers finally traipse across the dusty Martian surface, they’ll know just what kind of terrain to expect thanks to scientists at the European Space Agency who are producing the first “hiker’s maps” of the red planet.

The new topographic maps, based on data collected by the ESA's Mars Express spacecraft, could become the standard cartographic reference for future Martian research, as well as exploration on foot.

The ESA eventually will create topographic maps for the entire surface of Mars, which would mean more than 10,000 maps each of equal area.

All the maps will feature the names of geological features and detailed height contours of the landscape.
Contour lines are superimposed onto high-resolution images of Mars taken by the High-Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) onboard Mars Express. The lines help the eye to follow the morphology of the surface.

The data have also been transformed into 3-D computer models of Mars’s surface.

SOURCE:
Space.com

This is very cool, and will definately be helpful for the planning of
future Mars missions and for exploration for those that will even-
tually be there.

Apart from that, I'm sure there will be alot of people who would
like to see a global detailed map of Mars for other reasons as well.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Slick! Pretty cool find - I wonder if the ESA is going to sell copies of these. I'd like to have a couple to add to the stash of USGS quads I've accumilated over the years - maybe one each of the Olympus Mons and Valles Marineris regions?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
very cool

imagine picking up our Hiker's Map to Mars and hopping on a space ship for a weekend.

I'd love to see it

new topics

join