It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Altered States"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This may be in the wrong place, move if necessary.

Browsing my Dads collection of movies i came across this one: Altered States.

In which the lead character(s) are involved with sensory deprivation experiements. They start if with just simple sensory deprivation, with no additives to the experiment. Later on the lead character travels to the dessert (possibly arizona, i cant really remember) and comes in contact with a tribe of native americans (of whom he was seeking if i remember correctly). He eventually downed a substance which could have been Datura or Peyote tea (it was never clear, but a powerful hallucinogen for sure!) After his experiance, he decided to mix the two; the enthogen tea, and sensory deprivation.

Now obviously the results that came about were a total work of fiction (mutations both forward and backward in human evolution) but I am wondering if anyone has heard or read any information on the subject of mixing the two mind altering experiances together.

I am aware that sensory deprivation can cause auditory and visual hallucinations without any added enthogens, but am courious if such a thing has ever been done, and if so, what the results were.

Speculation is also welcomed.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am not a scientist, but my guess is that sensory deprivation coupled with powerful hallucinogens would create a super-heightened state of awareness/altered consciousness.

Being that one would be deprived of all external stimulation, then when the stimulation returns, it is artificially enhanced with mind altering drugs, this is the kind of stuff that could leave you permanently in that realm. If not, it would most certainly be a life changing experience.

I do not condone behavior of this sort, but if anyone decides to try, please post your results on this forum

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Im not sure if it would leave up perminatly in that relm. Generally enthogens "burn off" from the brain and the centers they activated go dormant. Though there are rare cases of being mentally crushed by too much use.

I have had a sort of experiance similar to what i described but without using specifics i do not know how i would convey what happened.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
guys ill let you know in the next 2 weeks what its like , i just started getting into float tankss(sensory deprivation tanks) and next week ill be trying it under the influence of weed and then the following week under the influence of lsd

the weed dosent worry me at all but under the influence of lsd , i am a bit concerned for 2 reasons

1. the slowing down of time under lcd, 1 hour in the tank might seem like 3 days..

2.the lack of light means an inablilty of escaping the minds eye images that come with taking lsd..i believe these will get very intense and i wont know where i start or end

[edit on 13-2-2007 by MouldyCrumpet]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MouldyCrumpet
guys ill let you know in the next 2 weeks what its like , i just started getting into float tankss(sensory deprivation tanks) and next week ill be trying it under the influence of weed and then the following week under the influence of lsd

the weed dosent worry me at all but under the influence of lsd , i am a bit concerned for 2 reasons

1. the slowing down of time under lcd, 1 hour in the tank might seem like 3 days..

2.the lack of light means an inablilty of escaping the minds eye images that come with taking lsd..i believe these will get very intense and i wont know where i start or end

[edit on 13-2-2007 by MouldyCrumpet]

incredible! i cant wait to here your results! however, i would suggest something that doesnt last as long as '___'. Mescaline or even '___' from an Ayhausca. The length of the '___' trip may be too much to handle.
THe spacial dissassociation you may feel from floating while under the influence may just push you over the edge.

EDIT TO ADD: the tanks used initally in the movie were float tanks, after that they were tanks where the user layed down with little medium to float in.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by InSpiteOf]

[edit on 13-2-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MouldyCrumpet

And with that...

Thread Closed

We don't allow the discussion of illicit drug use on ATS or any of it's sites.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

join