It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iron Body...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hi.
I've seen some Shaolin Kung Fu clips of Shaolin monks breaking
stone and steel with their body. I have heard that it is called The
Iron Body technique.
Is it anyone who have a link or a link to a book/video were I can learn Iron
Body technique?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Here's the link

link

Do you honestly think you can read a book and know how to be able to break such strong materials? This isn't an RPG where you can read a book for +1 in martial arts, this is reality. I say start with wood young grasshopper, and by that I mean ::gasp:: start taking classes! You don't have to go to China and study with long bearded guy from Kill Bill 2, there will be a dozen kung fu classes around wherever you live (at least in the states.) Even then, don't get your metal bending hopes up.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am taking kung fu classes, but we dont learn iron body and breaking.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You should use Iron Body along w/ Qi Gung. So that your energy is maximized at the point of dedication (the part or your body performing the Iron Body feat).

Also, Baphomet79, most american places do not show you correct technique. You'd have to find a place where a master has trained over seas, and didn't get the 'white man's version' while he was there. At least, it's that way w/ Tai Chi Chen (I still cannot find a place where I live that teaches it, let alone teaches it correctly).

But, in anycase Black_Tiger, I think your best bet would be to visit a library, and watch videos on Google or YouTube as you study.

edit: spelling

[edit on 2/14/2007 by Arcane Demesne]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I realize that, I studied Tai Qi Chuan with a professor from Harbin in the States, so it is possible. But I agree, the Meizhongren (American) version of all traditional martial arts is very different than the original intended embodiments. At the same point, someone versed well enough in any martial art would never ask a question such as where to find a book to teach something as advanced as that, if in fact it is possible. You have to crawl before you can walk, once you can give your instructor a run for his money then go looking for a true master. And by instructor I don't mean your local Gold's Gym twice weekly Kung Fu class.

This is why I stick with Mixed Martial Arts, no home base to study it, it's what you make of it. If the instructor isn't working for you, find another. Focusing on a single form leaves you open to others. The same goes for Shaolin Kung Fu. I don't care how adept someone is at Kung Fu, they have their motions that I am not familiar with but I promise I also have a few they have never seen. Traditional martial arts are extremely confining and anyone who thinks that a black belt implies invincibility in a street fight is a fool. As an example, I studied Krav Maga for 5 years and I would have no qualms, or problems, putting a 3rd degree black belt Kung Fu "master" in the hospital.

The only point I see in studying solely traditional martial arts is not for physical reasons. Anyone who has studied Tai Qi can attest to that, and yes it is a martial art. Nothing puts me in a better mood for a new day than running through the forms in my living room after breakfast.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Tiger
I am taking kung fu classes, but we dont learn iron body and breaking.

Research Chen Xiao Wang. Also look into the Plum Flower video tape site.

Related topics: 'silk reeling', fascial sheath.

Good luck.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I haven't heard of the 'iron body' technique, but a friend of mine who is big into martial arts says that breaking cement blocks with your hands isn't actually that hard. Breaking wood is actually more impressive, given the same thickness. Wood can bend slightly and not break, but cement cracks if it bends more than a fraction of an inch.

Even doing that probably takes years of training. I've seen video(I think they were real) where guys broke cement and wood with all parts of their body, like doing head butts (!) and elbow smashes and all sorts of weird moves. (I don't know the technical terms for those moves, so I can only describe them that way) I don't think that's something you can pick up in a week.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
I realize that, I studied Tai Qi Chuan with a professor from Harbin in the States, so it is possible.

Man, you lucky devil, heh

But I agree, the Meizhongren (American) version of all traditional martial arts is very different than the original intended embodiments. At the same point, someone versed well enough in any martial art would never ask a question such as where to find a book to teach something as advanced as that, if in fact it is possible.

Yeah, that's what my friend tells me too. His old instructor fused together different forms of Silat, Sistema (sp?), Kung Fu, Tai Chi (yuan style), and a few others, so that everyone was well rounded.

I had some free lessons in the Tai Chi Chen style for a few months at a University. The guy teaching was an immigrant from Okinawa (sp?), and was just doing it in the court yard on certain nights and he gained a following
He stopped teaching us though, once he got his computer programming job he wanted (those asians and computers
)

You have to crawl before you can walk, once you can give your instructor a run for his money then go looking for a true master. And by instructor I don't mean your local Gold's Gym twice weekly Kung Fu class.

Very true. Regardless how much your teacher knows, unless you can 'whoop him', you aren't ready for a master class.

This is why I stick with Mixed Martial Arts, no home base to study it, it's what you make of it. If the instructor isn't working for you, find another. Focusing on a single form leaves you open to others. The same goes for Shaolin Kung Fu. I don't care how adept someone is at Kung Fu, they have their motions that I am not familiar with but I promise I also have a few they have never seen. Traditional martial arts are extremely confining and anyone who thinks that a black belt implies invincibility in a street fight is a fool. As an example, I studied Krav Maga for 5 years and I would have no qualms, or problems, putting a 3rd degree black belt Kung Fu "master" in the hospital.

Silat is like that too. It seems very strenuous to me, which is why I"d rather just find someone to teach me in depth in chen tai chi. So I can have great mind/spirit/bodily control, with a bonus of self defense.

The only point I see in studying solely traditional martial arts is not for physical reasons. Anyone who has studied Tai Qi can attest to that, and yes it is a martial art. Nothing puts me in a better mood for a new day than running through the forms in my living room after breakfast.

Man, you must have a humungous living room!

Good luck with your Iron Body research

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Elvis Presley could do it.

break boards, that is.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The iron body technique, and the golden bell technique, are 2 of the same. You will likley not find many in the states who can teach it if they were born here. However, it does not mean this specific feat makes you a superior "fighter" it does mean you have learned a more traditionaly ancient Ki/Chi feat. This is an example of a religious/near-religious dedication to the art.

Modern MMA's are in general more talented than many masters of old in my opinion, to "fight".

Masters of the old times, had limited oppponents in which to test themselves against non-native martial arts. They did practice what they knew relentlessly, but it did not teach them specifically to "fight". It taught them how to defend themselves, and reach a mind/body/spirit balance.

Any serious martial artist these days, has already has received the basics how to toughen their body up. So to sacrifice special technique, many western fighters use that sacrificed time to be more effective for a one on one fight.

On another point, MMA's also disallow certain moves which are considered dishonarable to western sporting tradition, so my argument may be complete bunk.

-ADHD

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
On another point, MMA's also disallow certain moves which are considered dishonarable to western sporting tradition, so my argument may be complete bunk.
-ADHD

Not necessarily true, at least when I studied Krav Maga, unless it has changed in the past few years, we focused very heavily on groin strikes, and other cheap but devastating blows. Western or eastern those are generally frowned upon. Dishonorable or not, it works!
Although at the same time some people don't really view Krav as MMA and more just as a very nasty form of self-defense.

top topics

join