It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Decides To Disarm Its Nuclear Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Four months after the first nuclear test of the twenty first century, North Korea's leaders have finally take the interests of its people at heart and agreed to disarm their weapons program. The first solid plan to take hold after more than three years of six-nation talks will give the DPRK as much as 950,000 tons, or $250 million dollars in aid, as well as well as potentially ushering n a new era of cooperation between the DPRK and their biggest critics, United States and Japan.

news.yahoo.com
BEIJING - North Korea agreed Tuesday to shut down its main nuclear reactor and eventually dismantle its atomic weapons program in exchange for millions of dollars in aid, just four months after the communist state shocked the world by testing a nuclear bomb.

The deal, reached after arduous talks, marks the first concrete plan for disarmament in more than three years of six-nation negotiations. The plan also could potentially herald a new era of cooperation in the region with the North's longtime foes — the United States and Japan — also agreeing to discuss normalizing relations.

Under the deal, the North would receive initial aid equal to 50,000 tons of heavy fuel oil for shutting down and sealing its main nuclear reactor and related facilities at Yongbyon, north of the capital, within 60 days, to be confirmed by international inspectors. For irreversibly disabling the reactor and declaring all nuclear programs, the North will eventually receive another 950,000 tons in aid. One million tons of oil would be equivalent to more than two-thirds of North Korea's entire oil consumption in 2004, according figures in the CIA Factbook. Hill said the aid package was worth about $250 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I see a little diplomacy has finally paid off. What a relief. I am sure the South was beginning to feel a bit edgy these past few years as the tension in the Pacific Rim has mounted due to their irresponsibility.

Although, one has to wonder if Kim Jong actually only caved in after finally having the sanctions that prevented him from getting his luxury commodoties

Related News Links:
www.time.com
www.abcnews.go.com

[edit on 2/13/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Damn, DYepes, you bet me to it

This is a huge concession on NKs part, I think. To admit that they need aid really shows us how desperate they are. All that crap about their perfect society and all that we knew was propaganda, but now Jong has proven it as well. It is a major loss of face for him.

But at least the leadership has finally done something for the people.

[edit on 13/2/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It was also concessions on the bush teams part since blustering and threats weren't getting anywhere.

Wonder if they will learn anything that they could apply to Iran?............. NAH!!! Way too much to hope for.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thats odd, I would thought at least somebody woud be up here slamming North Korea for backing down in fright or something. With all the hooplah about how much everybody hates Kim. I for one would like all the naysayers to see for themselves now, that diplomacy has actually made progress here.

Ex

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Tell me again what the buy off a maniac price is today.....

GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'll believe this once the IAEA's inspectors confirm it.

Until then it may look nice on paper, but it sounds a bit too good to be true. And the timing is kind of interesting. Without North Korea wanting nukes anymore it leaves Iran as the only one left in the picture as far as the media will tell us. And now there'll be no more asking why we're after Iran instead of North Korea.

Like I said, I'll believe it when the IAEA confirms it.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If they have agreed not only to dissarm their nuclear weapons program but the reactor as well, what do you think they have left to use for power. It's elementary my dear watson.

OIL!!!

Makes sense to me!

top topics

join