It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edited Pics???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I discovered this by accident and I can't make sense of it.
Try this for yourself.

1. Do a image search on the net for a few "real" pics of the Earth, moon and other planets/moons. Not CGI

2. Save them to My Photos

3. Set your wallpaper to something light or white. (a blank .BMP works well)

4. Open My Photos in a small window with the desktop behind.

5. Drag a pic from My Photos, and hold it over your wallpaper.

See any holes or touched up areas?

A good pic on this site is LICK001-Full.GIF (I think it's in the John Lear section) It has loads of "holes" in it.

Anyone got any idea whats going on here? It looks to me that almost every pic NASA releases is in some way doctored....

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
1) I'm not sure what you are talking about. A visual aid would be nice.

2)How many full sun side earth shots are there? I can only fine ONE full sun side earth picture, the rest are composites or CGI.

More info would be nice if you want some kind of feedback.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntoTheVoid
5. Drag a pic from My Photos, and hold it over your wallpaper.

See any holes or touched up areas?

It has nothing to do with the photo being "touched up" or not.

I think you are talking about dragging a thumbnail image and holding it over a contrasting surface.

the resulting image that you see, is partially transparent, no?

this is the result of the way Windows renders the thumbnail, and not necessarily having to do with whether or not the full sized image has been edited, imo.

Now try the same experiment for yourself of your personal photos, yourself, your dog, kids, what have you...

I am willing to wager all of my ATS points, that you will see very similar results.

I have just done this with a couple of images myself, just to make sure I did'nt post erroneous information...

Anyone else wishes to check this out for their selves, make sure that in "View", that "Thumbnail" is selected....

Works best with images with a lot of dark in it.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure what your getting at, if you supply a link to an image you know this occurs with I will try to replicate. At a guess it could have something to do with how windows or your hardware are dealing with the overlay options.

I had TVUPlayer running in the system tray, when I started playing a video in WMPlayer I started getting bits of TVUPlayer coming through despite it not being a window.

This is dealing with video as opposed to still images, but may be a similar problem to your own. I'm no expert.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Oh yes, it does work on SOME other pics with dark in it, however the LICK001-full.gif has been edited as there are areas that are darker than space.

Also, Phobos and Deimos have been cut out in some pics, and then put on a black background.

One shot I have of the earth appears to have had satelites airbrushed.

Just had another thought, the "normal" pics that this works with may also have been edited or airbrushed as I can only get it to work on a publicity shot of an Aston Martin and a Bugatti Veyron....

Try Google image "moon" and try the first image

[edit on 13-2-2007 by IntoTheVoid]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sorry to double post but I'm still waiting for a response. This thread was moved here from space exploration as a mod said it was worth getting a pros opinion.

All I've had so far is speculation from people who confess to having no real knowledge on the subject.

Tell me I'm an idiot or whatever but would I'd like some feedback on this from an expert.

JbT

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Dude, a couple people have asked for you to post the pic so we know what your talking about.... would you do that?

Without a reference people could be looking at any of the hundreds of moon pictures out there.

Stop freaking out, take a breath, and post the picture.

Also, this is basically being covered on the "John Lear's Moon Pictures on ATS" thread... I suggest you ask these questions there.

Here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-2-2007 by JbT]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Yes, I see white areas with the thumbnail just like you do, however Mechanic is right when he says it's how the screen renders it.
BUT, in looking above (level adjusted in photoshop) it seems we have some tampering. Looks like a square brush, maybe an old program.

This could however be due to someone trying to make a transparent gif, or a gif artifact. Seems a bit like a brush to me though.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
Dude, a couple people have asked for you to post the pic so we know what your talking about.... would you do that?

Without a reference people could be looking at any of the hundreds of moon pictures out there.

Stop freaking out, take a breath, and post the picture.

Also, this is basically being covered on the "John Lear's Moon Pictures on ATS" thread... I suggest you ask these questions there.

Here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-2-2007 by JbT]

I can't post a pic because I don't know how. And if I did, it would appear normal.

I've spoken to John and he says that the LICK001-full.gif has been edited, as have alot of nasa pictures.

What i've said is that it works with most pics of celestial stuff. If you google image "moon" and save the first pic it gives you, then do what I said, you will see white dots around the moon. As if they've blacked out objects orbiting the moon.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by IntoTheVoid]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann

Yes, I see white areas with the thumbnail just like you do, however Mechanic is right when he says it's how the screen renders it.
BUT, in looking above (level adjusted in photoshop) it seems we have some tampering. Looks like a square brush, maybe an old program.

This could however be due to someone trying to make a transparent gif, or a gif artifact. Seems a bit like a brush to me though.

There we go!

Thanks JRitzman, I didn't know how to do that.

So does this mean its a software glitch, rather than proof of any deleted objects?

It seems funny to me that the white dots are only surrounding the moon, and not randomly dispersed throughout space.

Someone trying to make it transparent? Why might this be done? Mr Lear says the pic was sent to him by a source at NASA.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by IntoTheVoid]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Thanks JRitzman, I didn't know how to do that.

No sweat.

So does this mean its a software glitch, rather than proof of any deleted objects?

As I said, gif artifacts can do that, as well as transparent conversions. This however looks like a square brush. If it were gif artifacts I'd expect more of a salt and pepper look...if that makes any sense. This looks like a square brush was dragged on the image in selective areas, this is especially evident in the upside down and backwards "J" to the bottom left of the moon. That looks exactly like a square brush being dragged for purposes of editing out something. Might be an old program that used a square brush, or something VERY basic like MSPaint. There's essentially no attempt to hide it, which could easily be done in photoshop.

It seems funny to me that the white dots are only surrounding the moon, and not randomly dispersed throughout space.

Thats jpg compression, if you mean the mottling around the edge of the moon.

Someone trying to make it transparent? Why might this be done? Mr Lear says the pic was sent to him by a source at NASA.

I cannot attest for why it would be done, nor the origin of the pics. If they came from NASA, thats anyone's guess. They are after all only gif images.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Glad I'm not completley nuts then.....

I'm going to try and find a few others and put them up, once I figure out how.

If anyone else has any strange pics of any space-based stuff, it would be good to see them up here.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I'm going to try and find a few others and put them up, once I figure out how.

To post pictures that will be visible, use the buttons (icons) above the text entry area...

When you post from a source that you are hosting i.e., your own upload space (or your image hosting service), use the button(icon) above the text entry area that looks a painters pallette in front of a monitor in color.

If you are linking to an "outside source"(another website that is not an image hosting service) , use the same icon that is pictured in black and white.

Keep in mind the dimensions of the images, should be no more than 680 pixels wide, check out this thread for details about image size guidelines....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also check out the info in this thread regarding using the other buttons there as well...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many members use Photobucket to host their images...

www.photobucket.com...

or Imageshack

www.imageshack.com...

Both are free (can be upgraded for $), check them out if you plan on posting very many pics.

hope this info helps...

[edit on 2/16/2007 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

join