It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is American society Authoritarian or Run by Authoritarian Personalities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is a question that has been on the back of my mind for months. Of course, there are many explainations out there that might create a picture of today's United State's society, but I tend to think that its citizens can get a pretty good picture of what American society is like, especially when it comes down to culture.

So, I would like to turn this question over to you:

1)Do you think the present American society (under the current administration) reflects an Authoritarian regime?

or

2)Do you think that the present American society (under the current administration) is run by individuals who possess authoritarian personalities?

Once you've answered, would you guys tell me why? Thanks.

Now, have at it. I would love to know what you guys think.

Here's a definition:

authoritarianism:

Authoritarianism describes a form of social control characterized by strict obedience to the authority of a state or organization, often maintaining and enforcing control through the use of oppressive measures. Authoritarian regimes are strongly hierarchical.

In an authoritarian form of government, citizens are subject to state authority in many aspects of their lives, including many matters that other political philosophies would see as erosion of civil liberties and freedom. There are various degrees of authoritarianism; even very democratic and liberal states will show authoritarianism to some extent, for example in areas of national security.

At least one author, John Duckitt, suggests a specific link exists between authoritarianism and collectivism.[1] In both cases individual rights and goals are subjugated to group goals, expectations and confirmities.[2]

The fundamental definition of authoritarianism is a government that has the power to author legislation without consent of those being governed. In this sense, even a representative democracy is authoritarian over periods of years because the public only has the authority to vote the representatives out at election time.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Are we in the midst of an authoritarian society? What does everyone think about this?

join