It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How prevalent are delusional posters in this forum?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
First of all, many thanks to all involved in running and participating in this great site - It's a great resource and very thought-provoking.

Also, I realize the mods. couldn't be xpected to manage all the "bull****" out of the forum.

In general from analyzing this forum the last few days (many different topics), I have read a lot of very interesting things from very intelligent, reasonable posters as well as noticed a lot of evidence of the imperfections and imaginations of the human brain.

I find this forum, even though it's conspiracy-based, is rife with delusional claims. I guess one of the points of this forum is to discuss such claims intellectually. However, at a certain point, too many fantansies can distract and hinder serious research about many amazing phenomena. The challenges this forum face to be credible don't surprise me though - many humans over history have demonstrated shockingly poor reasoning abilities and a succeptibility to mental illness among other examples of human fallibility.

So my question is:

With all due respect, what percent of post(er)s, in you opinion, are delusional in this forum or may be suffering from varying degrees of reality-distorting mental illness?

[edit on 2/13/2007 by lagos]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Thanks in advance to all for helping to clarify this situation.

I'd love to hear some of the mods' opinions on this one.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I agree.
The "I prayed to the reptilians" post is a prime example.
I'm finding that I'm skipping more and more topics as I know there is little in there worth reading.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
The problem with UFO/alien forums like this one is that there are roughly three groups:

Group A - Believes the UFO phenomenom exists, but doesn't know its origin, whether natural/metheorological, human, black-op, alien, dimensional, etc. They usualy like to study the evidence with a skeptical point of view.

Group B- Believes the UFO is extraterrestrial in its origin. They want to discuss the types and intentions of the supposed alien beings, or the abduction cases, government implication.

Group C- Believes to be in direct contact with ET beings. They like to discuss philosophical/new age questions, mainly about information "channelled" by ET beings through meditation or direct contact.

Nobody is right or wrong, because the forum is named "Aliens & UFO's", so all of them are in their right to post their thoughts. The problem is that there's a vast distance between Group A and Group C. No wonder the first consider the others delusional, while the others consider the first debunkers. There's plenty of space to have bitter disagreements.

To tell you the truth, I have been reading about UFO's for the last 20 years, mainly books by serious researchers. I've been visiting this forum during one year, and it has swithched my views almost completely. I was a very strong believer (Group A-B), but now I realize that there's little, little truth in this field, and people is willing to believe anything. Afther 20 years studing the subject, I now know exactly the same as I knew when I started: nothing.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cainey

I'm finding that I'm skipping more and more topics as I know there is little in there worth reading.

Some of this stuff is so entertaining though - its unreal the stuff that some people are claiming to know without a shroud of evidence.

Makes it rather challenging to sift through all the conjecture + evidence with all the different agendas and credibility/mental health levels.

At the same time, there are some amazing claims being made daily in this forum and basically, I want to be able to boil it down to the truth. I'm sure as I get more familiar w/ different members, I will get a better sense of their characters.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by lagos]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
well you don't have to read them, its like watching the scifi channel no one forces you to watch, and no ones forcing you to read the threads.

remember you don't know everything, and people come here becasue they are open to the possibilities of these things. everyone comes here for there own reasons, and you or people like you, cannot judge. you can only make judgements on what you write, and what you think.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
So my question is:

With all due respect, what percent of post(er)s, in you opinion, are delusional in this forum or may be suffering from varying degrees of reality-distorting mental illness?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
In order for anyone to answer that question truthfully, they would have to have a degree in psychology, psychiatry or in a related field.

So I think this thread is pointless and will do nothing other than to stir up emotions here.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
lagos

I see most people being deluded by disinformation, but very few who may be delusional or mentally ill. I see many people stumbling around trying to find the truth.

True information is extremely rare on Earth among all the personally and professionally dis- and misinformation created and pushed into the minds of the publics about the alien races, their nature and their intentions.

True information is "so" rare within such a deep, thick soup, that those who have a little bit of truth to share with others are the ones who seem most to be lying or delusional.

On the other hand, all one has to do to be followed is to appear professional and take the lead of a popular new bandwagon, or add another, even more sensational spin to an old one.

All this means is that the disinformation campaign is working very well in keeping the publics confused and afraid about the alien races and those who really know them.

Nobody wants to be seen standing by somebody unpopular, regardless of the truth.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by EarthSister]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
its the people who are spreading their half baked sci-fi stories as fact that worry me.

my question is what do they get out of it? or what is their aim?

is it for attention? money? to start some cult where they are worshiped?

ATS has to be carefull, remember that cult who did a mass suicide when hal bop comet was in the sky? they claimed it was aliens coming to pick up their souls or soemthing

I dont think ats wants a hand in a mass suicide attempt

p.s i dont knwo what % are delusional, but im in category A

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagos

So my question is:

OK, lagos. Suppose I tell you that everybody on this site is a delusional crackpot (Except me!), what are you gonna do about it? Try and shut this site down?

Relax man. Get a glass of beer and enjoy the ride!!

Cheers!!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
mikesingh

i think there are valid points to be raised concerning some members on here who to me look like theyre trying to establish some cult following, like i said there was a mass suicide not too long ago.

there are people out there who are more susceptible to that sort of thing and are easily led,

i wouldnt want ats to be a breading ground for things like that. Personally i think they should make a fantasy/sci-fi section for the likes of sleeper and john leer

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
yeti101

Those who are telling the truth about what they are learning from the alien races are driven by nothing but the truth. These are the people who are as honest as they can be in all aspects of their lives, and they deserve whatever meager recognition (relief) they may get. But mostly what they get is grief from others when they speak out. If they publish their work for documentation and wide distribution, it's a service for which they deserve only fair compensation from those who support it, like anybody else.

As for those telling lies- either lying that they even have experiences OR giving in to the pressures of others and lying about their experiences, they may become well known and get a lot of attention, but they sure don't get to work with the alien races or gain their respect. The alien races do not continue an education with a human who just goes lying about it.

Then there are those who lie professionally under contract with government agencies and special interest groups who are hired to mold the thinking of the publics. These people are strategically highly respected in the field and become quite well-known and successful. Some of them started out being honest and truthful, but then were persuaded by either seduction or threat by government agents.

A person looking to start a cult is another entirely different kind, and their intentions should stick out obviously to you.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by EarthSister]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is a reasonable question, so long as specific people aren't being thrown under the bus.

With respect to the question, I don't know if people are necessarily clinically "delusional," but I find that many of them are willing to believe anything based merely on emotional response.

I find it frustrating because it propagates the offensive stereotype that people interested in UFO's are given to flights of fancy. The same stereotype that subsumes me, whenever I tell people that I am interested in this subject. Any reasoned work that I may do is totally rended by this "faithful" element. This is not to deride what people believe, but the scientists and the failthful need to go their separate ways.

I also worry about what happens when decent people get caught up in something fantastic. Here is the result. I find this abhorrent, but the UFO community seems to be filled with enablers these days.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
mikesingh

I wouldnt want ats to be a breading ground for things like that. Personally i think they should make a fantasy/sci-fi section for the likes of sleeper and john leer

Yeti, I think you are being a trifle prejudiced. I don't know much about sleeper, but look at the credibility of John Lear:

John Lear, retired airline captain, with over 19,000 hours of flight-time, has flown in over 100 different types of planes in 60 different counties around the world.

Son of Lear Jet inventor, Bill Lear, John is the only pilot to hold every FAA airplane certificate, to include airplane transport rating, flight instructor, ground instructor, flight navigator, engineer, aircraft dispatcher, airframe powerplant mechanic, parachute rigger, and tower operator.

He flew secret missions for the CIA in Central and Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa between 1966 and 1983. He has flown as Captain and check pilot for over 10 different airlines.

John held 17 world records including speed around the world in a Lear Jet Model 24, set in 1966.

He was presented with the PATCO award for outstanding airmanship in 1968, and the Symons Wave memorial.

He was the youngest American to climb the Matterhorn in Switzerland in 1959 and in the 1970's owned and skippered the Americas Cup boat, the Soliloquy, out of Marina Del Rey.

In 1968, John raced a Douglas B26 Invader in the unlimited class at the Reno air races.

He was a Senior Vice Commander of the China Post 1, the American Legion Post for Soldiers of Fortune. He is a 20 year member of the special operations Association.

John is a MSHA (Mine, Safety, and Health Administration) and holds a blaster license from the Nevada certified mining instructor from the Nevada State Fire Marshall.

Now do you think John is a delusional crackpot, trying to get a cult following of his own by perpetuating a web of falsehood and lies?

So it's unfair to rush to conclusions just because your perception of the 'truth' is at variance with what John has known and experienced. What you perceive as science fiction or fantasy, may not be.

As Rik Riley says, "What you think isn't, is, and what you think is, isn't!" So it's up to you to sift fact from fiction.

And that's why we're here at ATS. To deny ignorance. The find the truth.

Cheers!
Mike

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
To say that a large number of individuals are delusional as a result of mental illness may be a stretch. I am sure that ATS enjoys a few members who may not be mentally there and suffer high functioning to mild cases of 'illnesses' such as delusional schizophrenia, but I doubt there are many.

In fact, I would be willing to say that many of those who present fantastic claims are not ill, but fall into one of two groups:

1) There are those who are simply lying for the attention. I know that it is a sad thought but with certain topic subjects and threads one must allow for a number of 'hoaxers' and attention seekers.

They may be hoaxing simply for the fun of stirring things up around the site or may just desperetly need people to listen to what they have to say and think that they are important; that they are worthy of the attention their claim gets them (good or bad).

2) The second group would be those who may have gotten them selves 'caught up in it'. They are caught up in something that feels special to them. They have read a few books and websites and take all that is presented to be fact.

With their minds freely accepting something that sounds appealing (that their is something out of our explination) they have allowed themselves to believe and think whatever helps to validate their claims. They will ignore all the evidence to the contrary and may even dismiss it as 'disinformation'. They feel that they know something important, that their information is precious and that only the enlightened few -like themselves- have knowladge of it.

Usually these are the types of people who naively think that if it is written down that it must be true...especially if it is in a book.

Once again they seem to need validation that they are someone; that they are apart from the masses and important.

Disclaimer...

Like I said: My explination concerning two types of people who are not legitimately mentally ill are just my thoughts and observations. They are educated guesses into the minds of certain individuals who are, in my opinion, fabricating fantastic claims -hoaxers- or who have lost themselves in other individuals fabrications; truley believing what it is they claim.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on the matter (however incomplete and drafted that they may be).

[edit on 2/13/0707 by spines]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I know I am not a writer and there have been many times I have confused myself when re-reading things I have written.

This is why many that have experiences don't share with you the things they have experienced. I understand to tell another to think out of the box or we are dealing with a different reality is hard for people to understand. I notice that people still try to go by this reality so yes they are going to have a problem.

Of course you know it doesn't help having the people that come here and think this is a joke and hoax. There is so many truths out there you just don't see it or believe it.

When people tell of things that are different then you can understand you are also wrong when you insult them and call them names.

I understand you don't know me for example but I am who I said I am and yes I know things but to try and explain them to you is useless.

When I write I should remember for myself there are new members that join everyday and they pick up on posts without the understanding of what is really going on.

I know what I do write I "SHARE" with you. I assume you are going to shake your heads back and forth but in my thoughts you have read what I wrote so it is within you. When the time comes and it will come in many of your lifetimes, one day a memory will come forth that you remember reading that somewhere and you thought it was crazy.

I have tried to tell people the Grey's are in the deepest of our waters for decades so now after all this time they are finally talking about USO's. It just blows this old mind of mine.

For decades I have written that All diseases can be cured from the roots of plants. One day they might get that one too.

I have written all about the tracking device and the location of where the Grey's place it. No one investigates it. It's not going to be easy to find because it is smaller then anything any human could imagine but they say it can be located.

One days these things will come to be but it obviously is not time now.

I know I won't write of my experiences here again but I will continue to share the things I have been shown and told when I feel like it and as long as the owners here allow me.

One last thing. I believe one of the most important things I was told decades ago was for every tree you destroy you must re-pant ten fold. Well, we didn't do that so we will need to plant many more times then that. You hear how the CO2 is at dangerous levels well, until we can implement new technologies for fossil fuels the trees will save us. I have written many times that Earth has everything on her to cure her.

The men and women that study the Mayans say they killed themselves off by destoying the rain forest around them to build there Society. I do think we are a little smarter then that don't you. I would suggest you all plant trees whenever you can.

Please, all I ask is you use logic and common sense as the Grey's say, the answers are the simplest the ones you always overlook.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by observe50]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
it's a combo of trolling, people who look as if they're trolling but really aren't because of their mental capacity/reality, and of course disinfo people... also "idea" people. i like the place still, and can appreciate a clever bs story.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
John Lear, retired airline captain, with over 19,000 hours of flight-time, has flown in over 100 different types of planes in 60 different counties around the world.

[...]

John is a MSHA (Mine, Safety, and Health Administration) and holds a blaster license from the Nevada certified mining instructor from the Nevada State Fire Marshall.

I enjoyed the post mike but just because I enjoy being the devils advocate:

Does his expertise in a particular field somehow make him exempt from skeptical thought? Just because the man is an accomplished pilot (I am not disputing thaat) does not mean that he should be held on a pedastal in the field of UFOs and certainlly not ETs.

After all: David Icke was well on his way to becoming an accomplished soccer player/announcer...until he 'realized' that he was the second coming and then realized that reptiles rule the planet.

Now do you think John is a delusional crackpot, trying to get a cult following of his own by perpetuating a web of falsehood and lies?

Once again to play devils advocate: Would he not be a prime candidate for such a position? Look how fervently you defended him based on his credentials as an accomplished pilot alone.

If I had the credentials that Mr. Lear does and found a community which is always looking for someone credible to 'lead their cause' (such as certain members of the UFO community) I am sure that I could connect the dots to an easy celebrity status.

I am not insinuating that John Lear is doing this -he may be sincere and truthful and I will be continuing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am simply saying that it would be easy to do. Once again look at Icke...and he doesn't even have the credentials.

And that's why we're here at ATS. To deny ignorance. The find the truth.

After typing all that I find a certain irony in this. Deny Ignorance...and if you could kindly que up and stop questioning our claims it would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagos
So my question is:

Here is my solution:

You can go through all the threads, create a database of what in your opinion is delusional, rational etc..

After you have completed your research, calculate the percentage and get back to me....

There are some "out there" posts and comments out there but you would be surprised how much you could learn from someone who others label as delusional....

The mods here do an EXCELLENT job here on ATS, and I believe that the wide variety of input only makes the site more acceptable and appealing to those with open minds...

[edit on 2007/2/13 by JacKatMtn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join