It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Illness Killing Honey Bee Colonies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
There is a mystery illness killing off honey bee colonies. This illness affects honey bee farmers economically. This also affects the pollination of vegetation which depends upon these bees for fruitation.

news.aol.com
A mysterious illness is killing tens of thousands of honeybee colonies across the country, threatening honey production, the livelihood of beekeepers and possibly crops that need bees for pollination.

Researchers are scrambling to find the cause of the ailment, called Colony Collapse Disorder.

Reports of unusual colony deaths have come from at least 22 states. Some affected commercial beekeepers - who often keep thousands of colonies - have reported losing more than 50 percent of their bees. A colony can have roughly 20,000 bees in the winter, and up to 60,000 in the summer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if the cause will be determined. The first thing I thought about was all those birds that died mysteriously. The birds die and the bees die. The birds and the bees. There have been a lot of weird stuff like this in the news lately.

Related News Links:
www.sptimes.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I was reading about this earlier today on monsters and critics. I hope they can figure this out soon. If this affects crop pollination adversely its going to be another attack on our pocketbooks and out stomachs. Possibly something engineered? I don't remember ever hearing about something like this before.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So the birds and the bees are dying - amphibians are being born with mutated genitals - and the list goes on...

Could it mean something?

Do ya' think?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
From the story linked above

Cox-Foster said an analysis of dissected bees turned up an alarmingly high number of foreign fungi, bacteria and other organisms and weakened immune systems.

Just my thoughts here, but could human intervention somehow compromise the bees immune system? All these weird hybrids, clones, GM foods, who know what else.
Not to mention toxins and chemicals.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Just my thoughts here, but could human intervention somehow compromise the bees immune system? All these weird hybrids, clones, GM foods, who know what else.
Not to mention toxins and chemicals.

I'm sure that is certainly part of it.

Rudolph Steiner, a Gnostic-Rosicrucian and Scientist(and founder of Waldorf Schools, and Bio-Dynamics), predicted this in the 1920's:

In 1923 Rudolf Steiner predicted the dire state of the honeybee today. He said that, within fifty to eighty years, we would see the consequences of mechanizing the forces that had previously operated organically in the beehive. Such practices include breeding queen bees artificially.

The fact that over sixty percent of the American honeybee population has died during the past ten years, and that this trend is continuing around the world, should make us aware of the importance of the issues discussed in these lectures. Steiner began this series of lectures on bees in response to a question from an audience of workers at the Goetheanum

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Tamahu]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this fungus affects bees and/or wild birds, but it has infected (and killed) cats, dogs, llamas, ferrets, pet birds, horses, porpoises and... humans...

Exported Deadly Fungus Across The World - Inside His Lungs

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Mystery Illness Killing U.S. Honeybees by the Thousands

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This just in from BBC:

Virus implicated in bee decline

A virus has emerged as a strong suspect in the hunt for the mystery disease killing off North American honeybees.

Genetic research showed that Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV) turned up regularly in hives affected by Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

More as it unfolds.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Pardon my ignorance, but apart from honey, what else do the bees offer humans?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Very important for agriculture as they are an important, if not the most important, part of the pollination process. No bees could mean serious agricultural problems.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Very important for agriculture as they are an important, if not the most important, part of the pollination process. No bees could mean serious agricultural problems.

Oh right. Hmm thats no good then.

top topics

join