It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Bremer cant explain where twelve billion dollars went

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Paul Bremer is unable to explain what happened to twelve Billion dollars that was spend on Iraqi pay rolls. Paul admitted that he knew that some of the people on the payrolls were didn't exist but he turned a blind eye to avoid civil disturbances.

www.military.com
Last week, we were treated to the spectacle of the former U.S. civilian overlord of Iraq, Ambassador L. Paul Bremer, squirming in the hot seat as he attempted with little success to explain what he did with 363 tons of newly printed, shrink-wrapped $100 bills he had flown to Baghdad.

The Department of Defense's special inspector general for Iraq, Stuart Bowen, said that a 2005 audit he conducted found that in some ministries the payroll was padded with up to 90 percent "ghost employees" - people who didn't really work there or perhaps didn't really exist.

Bremer said that he decided to provide the money to meet those payrolls, even though he knew they were bogus, for fear of starting riots and demonstrations among the Iraqis, real and imagined.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I should be surprised and shocked but I'm not instead I have almost come to expect this sort of thing.
None existent people are going to riot ?
That's classic don't do anything about the looting but try to stop imaginary crimes from happening.

The lack of accountability is beyond disgraceful but given that private firms seem to be in just about every Americans politicians pocket I doubt that anything will change any time soon.

Im not a Liberal but I will never understand how it is wrong to use someone's tax dollars to fund Education and provide Health care to those who cant afford it and yet it is perfectly OK to fund non existent people on a payroll in the name of fighting Terror.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
About a year ago, when this started to emerge, I heard accounts of U.S. personal, handling this cargo, played football with the bales of $100 bills. Guess all along the line there has been free picking of those 12.000 bales of a million each.

6-7 pounds of 100 bills=one million dollar.

Who could resist, especially if knowing there was no account. Beside they had to have the local ecomomy keep running.

I bet quiet a few of those hundreds probably ended up in Iran as payment for armor and explosives.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
With 12B I could have put 300000 Americans to work for a full year.

That's leadership for ya...

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It will be very interesting indeed, to see whose pockets the money is found to be in, if it is ever found at all.

I wonder if a list has been compiled somewhere of all the money that had come up "missing" during this administration....

new topics

top topics

join