It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Identify This Mystery Weapon Found in Iraq?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
MYSTERY WEAPONS SURFACE IN IRAQ

None of the military persons whoÕve seen the photo were able to identify the weapon depicted in it.

I thought with so many weapons experts here, maybe someone could identify this weapon. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
CO2 Rocket Grenade Launcher. Uses compressed CO2 gas in the rear compression chamber to fire rocket grenades for short distances (maybe 300 yards, far enough to reach low-flying helicopters). Good for one shot before gas refill. Advantage of the weapon is that it fires cold, can't be traced with infrared sensors, is cheap enough to be discarded after use, if necessary.

A humble conjecture, of course.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Strange looking weapon, especially what looks like a buttstock on it. Recoilless rifle maybe? The weapon at the bottom is the RPG-7 thats for sure.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Odd weapon, wish they had a picture picture though.

Well its obviously a rocket or grenade launcher, judging by the size of the barrel.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Doc Velocity seems to be close. I would suspect it's either a grenade launcher or some type of flare gun.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Doc Velocity seems to be close. I would suspect it's either a grenade launcher or some type of flare gun.

A flare gun that requires optical sight attached on it?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
its a toy weapon, 1:18th ? 1/6 maybe scale, which is why it remains un-identified.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by robertfenix]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Looks like a high tech potato gun, did they find any hairspray & spuds in the vicinitty?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
its a toy weapon, 1:18th scale, which is why it remains un-identified.

Nope,I am pretty sure someone would have identified it as being a toy if that were the case.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Actually I'm kind of inclined to agree with robertfenix, only smaller scale - as soon as I saw the picture it struck me as looking a lot like the weapons that come with my sons Ninja Turtles and Biker Mice, that sort of thing. The handle looks like moulded plastic to me.

I have tried the link to michaelyon-online and keep getting 'cannot find server' or just a blank page (but there could ofcourse be heavy traffic or whatever). I've checked his blog site though and there is nothing I can find on there that relates to this story. I don't know how reliable the source that the photo is in though so I'm not making any assumptions.

All the best

[edit on 12-2-2007 by KilgoreTrout]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
the forward grip is at a different angle then the rear "stock".

the scale of the dirt and rocks would mean this thing is sitting on some nice sized little boulders.

the lighting can not be the sun, as the illumination fades rapidly awat from the direct light source coming from the lower right side of the picture and slightly above the "launcher".

Who uses a 3x40 optic sight on a launcher ??? Its not like shooting a 308, you want a wide field of view.

the lower rifle stock would be very weak having limited internal attachment in the rear of the launch tube.

no markings no trigger lock outs, no switches, no signs of hardware, nuts screws bolts, hex cap heads etc.

No heat/ exhaust damage

blah its a little toy prop, shot on some dirt with some type of artifical light source

ps that optic sight would leave a nice bruise on the users forehead, holding this out at arms length would make the viewable objective super small.

No way this is a real weapon

[edit on 12-2-2007 by robertfenix]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
To me it looks like a mixture of a few weapons. Obviosly it seems to have a rifle butt under the rear of the tube. The rear part of the tube seems similar to a 66mil rocket launcher. The most puzzling part is the optical sight. That thing is high calibre so obviously baton rounds or gas so why the need for a optical sight whenever i have used such a weapon its basically a leaf sight thats used. It looks like a mock up aof assorted weapons for definite

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The first thing i thought after watching the photo was that gun is not in a 1:1 scale. It seems to me this gun has only the size of some inches. So i would consider thats is kind of a toy gun.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Looks like a modified AirForce Talon airgun to me. Hard to justify it as a grenade or rocket launcher with a rifle scope attached. The single picture is in bad light and from only one angle. It would be nice to get a better look at it from multiple angles.

Talon

Condor

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Zooming in the scope is about the only thing that looks real on it. It's definately a throw away unit or a mockup of some sort. The guys at work have a lot of fun with the SLS machine and could make one in a few days.

mikell

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well, the top one seems fairly simple....the bottom one isn't very distinguishable by the picture....

Top:

PVC pipe, fitted with a modified spotlight casing similar to this one. Throw in a homemade wooden stock and a cheap little scope, bingo, you have a nice movie prop!

Honestly, that was my first thought, but as to if that's really what it is, who knows. I think I could build one that looked even better.....

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It's an Israeli made gas powered rocket launcher.....yes, it uses CO2. It's not a toy......unless your in the US and know anything about RAP4 and paintballing.

Rocket launchers do have scopes (they are legal to own, just not the rockets)

[edit on 12-2-2007 by sky1]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
To me it appears to be some kind of variant of the Carl Gustav 84-mm Recoilless Rifle with the breech removed;

But...

The photo does look quite suspect, and the barrel at the front just looks like it doesn't belong. I think it may be a hoax as I cannot 100% ID the weapon.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1
It's an Israeli made gas powered rocket launcher.....yes, it uses CO2. It's not a toy......unless your in the US and know anything about RAP4 and paintballing.

Rocket launchers do have scopes (they are legal to own, just not the rockets)

[edit on 12-2-2007 by sky1]

I can't find anything similar to this picture anywhere that the things you have mentioned are discussed..

Can you direct me to it?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
My opinion:

Whatever it is, I'd be willing to bet that the US will use it as another reason to attack Iran.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join