It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Tanks for the USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Whilst I was doing research for an article on modern AFVs and the role of the tank in today’s conflicts, I came across the following article:

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/518312/posts
As the article goes on to say, it would be one hell of a coup for US Int to get hold of a T-90 and see what makes it tick.

Do any of our friends across the big pond know anything about this project? If so, to what extend did it progress? Did the US acquire any of the T-90s?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
www.freerepublic.com...

Your link ain't working, but I already found the same source.

I think they did acquire a couple of T-90 tanks. As I recalled they tested the Javelin weapon to see what it can do against it.

Could have been the T-80, have to check on that one as well to see if we acquire that.

Nevermind, it was the T-72.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
that's an OLD news

T-90s are basically the latest upgrade for T-72

the best Russian serie tanks are the T-80 series and its upgrade

T-72 series are russians cheaper light tanks, where as the T-80 series are their more complicated medium tanks.

you can upgrade T-72 as much as you want, but they are still T-72s.

ps. the T-80UM2 Black Eagles that came out a few years ago was the latest russian upgrade version of the T-80 serie; and the Ukrainian T-84 was their latest upgrade version of the T-80 serie
both came out in the mid 90's

my favourite soviet style tanks T-84
www.morozov.com.ua...

the idea back then in the early 70s was that
the T-72 were the cheap downgraded production version of the expensive T-64, and T-80 is supposed to be the successor of T-64

and T-90s are apparantly an upgrade version of the T-72 light tanks
it's relatively cheap compare to other main battle tanks, and good for export market.

[edit on 2/12/2007 by warset]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thanx for the info Warset, but's that's not what I asked.

I asked if the USA purchased the T-90 Black eagles from the Russians. I do know about Russian tank upgrades.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
the US is probably trying to buy some T-90s for testing, but i doubt they'll buy them directly from russia

they'll get around buying them from other countries with T-90s like India.

[edit on 2/12/2007 by warset]

top topics

join