It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Nuclear Safety Commision Website Hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If you read the article, does anyone else see the contradiction of the seriousness of this attack?

In one quote the article says this:

The attack provoked astonishment and concern across Canada, because the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission IT System holds details and sensitive information about nuclear activities in Canada and about how to track the movement of high-risk radioactive sealed sources.

Seems like pretty useful info for those with bad intentions... then later on this is said:

the attack will not bring about dangers for National Security since there’s no way anyone could get the access to “potentially dangerous information” without a secure government login.

bold emphasis mine

I don't know but "sensitive info about Nuclear activities and movement tracking of materials" seems pretty dangerous to me....

Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission's website attacked

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I don't know but "sensitive info about Nuclear activities and movement tracking of materials" seems pretty dangerous to me....

Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission's website attacked

Any secret or sensitive data would not be stored on the web server, so hacking the webpage doesnt automatically give you access to anything really important. Those things are probably stored on servers not accessible through the internet.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks for that Dr Leary, now that I have reread the article it doesn't say that they hacked into the sensitive area, just that the agency has that type of info.

LOL, that is one thing about this site, I start thinking "EVERYTHING" is a conspricay or shady, I must confess that I have even started analyzing recipes in my cookbook to "search" for the truth....

j/k

PS: I may need some "couch time" how's your schedule look for this Thursday?

[edit on 2007/2/12 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You'd be surprise to see the kind of Sensitive Information you can get over here in Canada

Anyone remembers the case where an CSIS agent forgot a luggage full of that sensitive material in his car (which was stolen) while he went to see a Maple Leaves match?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Actually, hacking a website is extremely easy as far as hacking goes. All you have to do is gain access to a server through a username and password then have enough knowledge of how a website works to mess with it. In the hacker world, website hackers are looked down upon as children due to the easy nature of the hack.

The only things you'll find are the HTML/PHP/whatever code for the web pages, the databases (which isn't as cool as it sounds, it's more like a spreadsheet), e-mail addresses, pictures etc. If you hacked ATS you wouldn't really find anything interesting. The only interesting thing on a web server is the stuff the webmaster has stored on the server but doesn't use for the website, many people use their server as another hard drive. (which I wouldn't suggest)

Anyone dumb enough to put seriously sensitive material on a web server deserves whatever happens to them.

new topics

top topics

join