It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Marijuana: Unpublished Federal Study Found THC- Treated Rats Lived Longer, Had Less Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've found a big one!!! Check it out. It's a report that has been supressed by the drug war industry.

www.aids.org...

AIDS TREATMENT NEWS has obtained a 126-page draft report of a major toxicology study of THC, the main psychoactive ingredient of marijuana. The study was completed over two and a half years ago, and passed peer review for publication, but has been kept quiet until this month, when someone leaked copies of the draft report. As far as we know, the public has never been told about this research -- for example, the drug-reform movement seems not to have known about its existence. This work may have been hushed because its findings are not what the drug-war industry would want.

-------

Also, there is no known case of any human death from overdose of marijuana or THC, or from any other acute toxicity of these substances -- a remarkable safety record, compared with alcohol, aspirin, or many other common drugs. (The toxicology report does not say there have been no deaths, but the authors listed none, after doing an exhaustive survey of the literature.)

The literature review on the effects of THC and marijuana shows how medical research has been politically skewed (although the paper itself does not state this point). There are almost no studies of possible medical uses of marijuana, but many studies looking for possible harm. Any positive findings, therefore, can be used to support the drug war -- while negative findings (those which fail to show any effect) are usually ignored. Although many doctors and patients have reported important medical benefits, scientific studies of medicinal use have seldom been allowed to happen, since positive findings could challenge the official public-relations tactic of demonization. The drug war itself has controlled the medical research agenda, since it controls legal access to marijuana. Like most permanent wars, it strives for self preservation.

The newly available Federal toxicology study provides the best evidence yet that the risks of THC are small. What other drug would increase life expectancy of rats when given in huge overdoses daily for two years? The recent Federal attacks on medical marijuana -- against doctors and desperately ill patients -- are needlessly cruel, and bizarrely inappropriate to scientific and medical understanding.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
heres a very nice link concerning the topic...
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, TheBandit795.

There was another thread on ATS where someone posted a link saying that the government knew, in 1974, that marijuana can shrink tumors.

The issue with marijuana should not be whether or not it's harmful, but that people should have a choice to legally use it. Here's a quote from jozuph's link regarding a report of the harm that marijuana can do:

"We are not making any policy recommendations. The aim of this report is to try to inform the public that if you do choose to smoke cannabis, be aware of the health risks," says a BLF spokeswoman.

I have no problem with that! Give people a choice to use it at their own risk. Use at your own risk. WOOHOO! That should settle the ongoing debate, but I don't have the power to implement change.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The government is looking to form a perfect world order. In this world order all forms of drugs will be illegal. Sooner or later even legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol will be outlawed. Is this true freedom? Of course not, in America today there are nothing but liars. These politicians who run the government brainwash everyone. The good America died a long time ago.

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by Eternal]

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Several questions:

I assume this is just the active ingredient THC and no other parts of the marijuana plant correct?

If THC is found to be as useful as claimed and it may well be, will it be as popular as it is now if it has its ability to make people 'high' reduced?

It looks to be that this is the classic 'herb' problem with the drug companies, they hate natural substances (althought hey tap them all the time to make their drugs), because they cannot obtain patent protection on these naturally occuring plants. I am in agreement here with others that the interests of humanity come before the interests of the drug industry.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eternal
The government is looking to form a perfect world order. In this world order all forms of drugs will be illegal. Sooner or later even legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol will be outlawed. Is this true freedom? Of course not, in America today there are nothing but liars. These politicians who run the government brainwash everyone. The good America died a long time ago.

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by Eternal]

Have you ever read a book by Aldous Huxley called Brave New World? I don't think you have because in this book, Brave New World, you would notice that government in power kept the people on a drug called "soma." This drug was used as a mthod of control over the people, it ckept the citizens calm and trouble free. I think if there was ever to be a new world order, drugs would be freely available to any and all people. Of course, cannabis would not be the preferred drug for distribution by the government for its abilty to, uh, open ones mind?

Although, by reading the book I noticed several similarities between cannabis and soma.

*EDIT: I take it back that Eternal is wrong. I share Huxley's ideas about use of drugs over the population, but that does not mean that Eternal's views are any less valid than Huxley's. Sorry.

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by insite]

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Several questions:

I assume this is just the active ingredient THC and no other parts of the marijuana plant correct?

If THC is found to be as useful as claimed and it may well be, will it be as popular as it is now if it has its ability to make people 'high' reduced?

It looks to be that this is the classic 'herb' problem with the drug companies, they hate natural substances (althought hey tap them all the time to make their drugs), because they cannot obtain patent protection on these naturally occuring plants. I am in agreement here with others that the interests of humanity come before the interests of the drug industry.

yall should read things more carefull, def scientific papers like this one on the aids site..
In the paper it states that the rats/mice also had much less weight then ones not being administarted thc..they in their own story claim that this may as well be the cause of the prolonged lives and the absence of tumors. Also in the articel they already said that the dose they give these mice/rats is mad high..and that because of this high dose other problems like seizures and convulsions..also did they use pure thc, not smoked thc.
The bad part is mainly the smoke in this..that weed is not that bad is already known for long but as you can all read in the link i profided with a bit more scientific research there are things being altered, like short/long time memory but this also again is not only depending on thc but smoking and als the differences between humans play a role here..
pz joz

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
C'mon, pot is good for ya! So far, I have yet to overdose and die (I've tried, oh MAN have I tried, hehe). The worst things I have experienced in all my experimentation with the substance are improved imagination and increased appetite. The stuff clears your sinuses, eases stress, umm.... ummm... crap, I forgot where I was going with this...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i always knew it was .....'good' for u...try a vaporizor.....expensive but cool

top topics

join