It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly Is A Noun?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Source: Courtesy of Dictionary.com

noun /naʊn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[noun] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Grammar
–noun 1. any member of a class of words that are formally distinguished in many languages, as in English, typically by the plural and possessive endings and that can function as the main or only elements of subjects or objects, as cat, belief, writing, Ohio, darkness. Nouns are often thought of as referring to persons, places, things, states, or qualities.

Wait! It appears that Every thing is a noun! There We have it! Persons, okay, every person is a noun, that eliminates all persons, that is if We choose Not to personify any thing other from the Human body. Moving forward!

Allow me to venture in-to (btw. in is a prefix meaning Not, Not to?) breaking apart the word per-son.

per /pɜr; unstressed pər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pur; unstressed per] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–preposition
1. for each; for every: Membership costs ten dollars per year. This cloth is two dollars per yard.

2. by means of; by; through: I am sending the recipe per messenger.

3. according to; in accordance with: I delivered the box per your instructions.

–adverb
4. Informal. each; for each one: The charge for window-washing was five dollars per.

son (sŭn) Pronunciation Key
n.
One's male child.
A male descendant.
A man considered as if in a relationship of child to parent: a son of the soil.
One personified or regarded as a male descendant.
Used as a familiar form of address for a young man.
Son Christianity The second person of the Trinity: Jesus Christ

What happened to perdaughters? Are We all Men? Definition 6 is in conjunction with Jesus' teachings, He told us We could all do the things he did and more. At the least that is some what consistent.

Okay, so all men are nouns, and all Jesus' are nouns. Moving forward!

place /pleɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pleys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, placed, plac·ing.

–noun 1. a particular portion of space, whether of definite or indefinite extent.
2. space in general: time and place.
3. the specific portion of space normally occupied by anything: The vase is in its place. Every item on the shelf had its place.
4. a space, area, or spot, set apart or used for a particular purpose: a place of worship; a place of entertainment.

There are 50 definitions for space. So what is space?! Haha, any way, have to move on. According to definition 1 of space, any thing and every thing is a noun. Any thing and every thing literally occupy a particular territory of space, and every ... space of space.

I think it is safe to stop, next is thing and all that Exists, Exists in the form of things so that We can know them and/or name them. An adjective is a thing, so is a verb, they are all so states and qualities.

In summation:

Every thing is a noun because things are nouns and nouns are things because noun is a thing and thing is a noun, and Existence consists of things, more precisely, every thing. Existence is a noun, a verb, an adjective, and every other phraseological idea that creates every other phraseological idea.

Still with me? Hope so, because this is Our word, ahhem, world

[edit on 12-2-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Person is a unique English word, not a construction of "per" and "son."

I really don't understand the point of this thread, it seems to me to mix the obvious and the absurd in a way that ends up totally devoid of meaning.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Nah, good thread LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal. I like reading things like that, for some odd reason . . .

btw, what was your point?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Nah, good thread LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal. I like reading things like that, for some odd reason . . .

btw, what was your point?

Ever see those commercials that say "Verb, it's what you do." I guess it could Be said "Noun, it's every thing." Or some thing? Haha, just joking. The point is, our words need to Be revised and/or simplified. I'm thinking a culmination of symbols/letters from languages in the world would give birth to enough variations of letters/symbols to create a language that never contradicts its self any where and at the same time bring the World together in a major way. Is this just an idea? No, this is my purpose here. When I am finished learning all the major languages of the world I will give it a go. Sharing.

If a noun is every thing, including a verb, then what is the point of separation?

It is said that verbs are action words, may be they are just nouns in action

[edit on 12-2-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I really don't understand the point of this thread, it seems to me to mix the obvious and the absurd in a way that ends up totally devoid of meaning.

Well, being devoid of meaning still has meaning, if it did Not We would Not comprehend its concepts. So either way it had some meaning.

The words seem to Be devoid of meaning, yet on a deeper level completely speaking to Us in and of themselves

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Hmmm. I would venture to predict that Esoteric Teacher will at some point, enter this thread and divide and dice the word "person" even more.

In fact, when I saw the title, I actually thought it was going to be one of E. T.'s threads.

new topics

top topics

join