It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is gravity a law?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My question is:

Is gravity A PROVEN LAW? or is it a theory based upon good observation?

my question originated because:

people claim "its a fact that free fall"..blah blah blah...

or

"free fall is not a fact" because blah blah blah...

so both sides give you facts...when the main responsible acting force is gravity...and the scientific community is not even close to defining it!

so please...my plead: dont call a fact a fact unless it is a law!

bad science vs good science!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
on a side note: 100% rant!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

One google search could have saved this forum from a rant thread.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Connected]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
IF 'gravity' was a law, I am sure the government would make it ILLEGAL to gain more profits from 'gravity abusers' LOL

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Makes me wonder what kind of crappy school doesn't teach Newton?

Newton's law of universal gravitation Wiki

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Modern physics admits that gravity is very different from other forces (strong, electromagnetic and weak) and perhaps less understood. Newton first described and formalized effects of gravity. Einstein made a significant step in understanding its nature and improved the way we can estimate it. Still, we cannot really tell what causes gravity and why it is so special among other forces. Calling it a “field”, a “universal force” does not help explaining it.

Gravity as an inertial phenomenon in curved space caused by rotation of the universe in respect to higher dimensions.

www.world-mysteries.com...

Newton's Law does not explain many things out there in the universe!

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex

I think you should drop teach all your science teachers in the crotch with an iron boot, file a law suit against the school district for incomptence and find a new school.

The law remains as a fundamental building block, until it is disproved by a new physical law. There isn't one and there surely won't be one, if the school system is that freaking screwed up.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory

www.theonion.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

I think you should drop teach all your science teachers in the crotch with an iron boot, file a law suit against the school district for incomptence and find a new school.

The law remains as a fundamental building block, until it is disproved by a new physical law. There isn't one and there surely won't be one, if the school system is that freaking screwed up.

Warning: Gravity is “Only a Theory”
www.bringyou.to...

The Universal Theory of Gravity is often taught in schools as a “fact,” when in fact it is not even a good theory.

First of all, no one has measured gravity for every atom and every star. It is simply a religious belief that it is “universal.” Secondly, school textbooks routinely make false statements. For example, “the moon goes around the earth.” If the theory of gravity were true, it would show that the sun's gravitational force on the moon is much stronger than the earth's gravitational force on the moon, so the moon would go around the sun. Anybody can look up at night and see the obvious gaps in gravity theory.

Even Isaac Newton, said to be the discoverer of gravity, knew there were problems with the theory.

Then when Einstein invented a new theory of gravity, he, too, used an obscure bit of mathematics called tensors. It seems that every time there is a theory of gravity, it is mixed up with “fringe” mathematics

Gravity totally fails to explain why Saturn has rings and Jupiter does not. It utterly fails to account for obesity. In fact, what it does “explain” is far out-weighed by what it does not explain.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"Law...I am the LLAAWW!!!!"

If you don't know the law then you must be:
:bash::bnghd: alot more than the rest of us.

Did you go to school in Arkansas or West Virginia, that would explain alot
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Since this thread originated in the 9/11 forum of ATS, I'm guessing you are talking about the speed at which the buildings fell.

When someone says it fell at "free fall", you must understand the term "free fall".

en.wikipedia.org...

"Free fall in its strictest sense is the condition of acceleration which is due only to gravity."

Then you must understand that it has been tested and proven with Newtons Second Law of Motion that:

"All objects (regardless of their mass) free-fall with the same acceleration - 10 m/s/s."

I REALLY RECOMMEND YOU READ THIS NEXT LINK:

www.glenbrook.k12.il.us...

---

According to the 9/11 videos, WTC 1,2 and 7 all fell at free fall speeds. They all accelerated 10 m/s/s. How on Earth could that be possible?? Zero ressistance?!?!

Let me explain ressistance. Imagine you created a 5 foot tall structure of popsicle sticks and glue, designed to resemble the steel structure of WTC 7. Then lets say you made this popsicle stick structure strong enough to hold a 50 pound bowling ball on the top. Ok, now what would happen if you put a 80 pound bowling ball on top, and the structure collapsed? How fast do you think the ball would fall?

A: The bowling ball would fall at "free fall" speed, and accelerate 10 m/s/s.

B: The bowling ball would fall at a much less speed, because the popsicle sticks under it would slow it down, before it reaches the bottom.

The correct answer is B. Because the popsicle sticks are causing resistance, and it would slow the ball down.

The problem with WTC 1,2 and 7, is that it accelerates during its fall, and shows signs of ZERO resistance. You would think the steel beams and columns would slow it down, but it didn't. Even IF all the steel losts its ability to hold the weight of the building, the physical existance of a steel beam there at all, would slow down the speed at which the building fell. In other words, even if your entire popsicle stick structure were to fail at every single glued joint, the stick itself would still cause the bowling ball to fall at a less than free fall speed.

Hope thats clear.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
"Law...I am the LLAAWW!!!!"

If you don't know the law then you must be:
:bash::bnghd: alot more than the rest of us.

Did you go to school in Arkansas or West Virginia, that would explain alot
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Royal76]

Really? How come wiki sz the following?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connected
Since this thread originated in the 9/11 forum of ATS, I'm guessing you are talking about the speed at which the buildings fell.

No wasnt my intention, I just ranted because of the usage of the word fact.

How can I make a fact based on a force that is not understood yet? (gravity)

Sure I don't disagree with the Theories by Newton and Einstein people who changed the way we view the world, but even newton admitted that his theory
did not explain everything thus Newton did not call his theory a Fact...

I guess I was misunderstood but it happens. My fault.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Still, it is fact that at free fall, everything on Earth accelerates 10 m/s/s. Unless of course an outside force is preventing it to do so.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

An unexplained force is pulling on distant spacecraft. Researchers have come to this conclusion after a thorough analysis of the deep-space probes' trajectories.

We've been working on this problem for several years, and we have accounted for everything we could think of

Dr John Anderson, Nasa
It could be just a tiny unnoticed effect in the spacecraft themselves, but scientists warn it could also be the first hint that modifications need to be made to our understanding of the force of gravity.
- Emphasis added

Even NASA offials are saying we dont fully understand gravity

Dr John Anderson, Nasa
"It is almost as if the probes are not behaving according to the known law of gravity," said Dr John Anderson, of the American space agency's (Nasa) Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and lead scientist on the study.

He said: "We've been working on this problem for several years, and we have accounted for everything we could think of."

The unexplained force appears to be acting on four deep-space probes scattered around the Solar System.

Pioneer 10 was launched towards the outer planets in 1972. It is now well beyond Jupiter but still in radio contact with Earth.

By studying the Doppler shift (the "stretching") of the radio signals from the probe, scientists have been able to calculate how fast the craft is travelling. Since 1980, its trajectory has been mapped in very great detail.

The puzzle is that Pioneer 10 is slowing more quickly than it should.

It was initially suggested that this might be due to the force from a tiny gas leak or that it was being pulled off course by the gravity of an unseen Solar System object.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The post above means NOTHING. Why? Because the theorys of gravity were created on EARTH. Nowhere else. The objects they are talking about are in uncharted unknown territory.

The free fall on EARTH is an acceleration of 10 m/s/s. This rule only applys to EARTH.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connected
The post above means NOTHING. Why? Because the theorys of gravity were created on EARTH. Nowhere else. The objects they are talking about are in uncharted unknown territory.

The free fall on EARTH is an acceleration of 10 m/s/s. This rule only applys to EARTH.

OK so why does gravity vary in various spots in the world?
en.wikipedia.org...

Gravitational acceleration of various cities around the world
Amsterdam 9.813 m/s²
Calcutta 9.788 m/s²
Tokyo 9.798 m/s²

SATELLITES REVEAL A MYSTERY OF LARGE CHANGE IN EARTH'S GRAVITY FIELD :
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Since 1997, researchers have noticed that the trend has changed in the way Earth's gravity field bulges. Since 1997, the Earth has an upward bulge at the equator has been increasing. Observations of the Earth's gravity field show that some phenomena are counteracting the gravitational effects of Post Glacial Rebound (PGR) and researchers are looking to the ocean for answers.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
"laws" are mathematic equations describing (or attempting to describe) natural phenomenon. "Laws" are therefore not set in stone, and can be broken/modified.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

OK so why does gravity vary in various spots in the world?
en.wikipedia.org...

Gravitational acceleration of various cities around the world
Amsterdam 9.813 m/s²
Calcutta 9.788 m/s²
Tokyo 9.798 m/s²

Earth is just a giant magnet, surrounded by many miles of magma and crust. Some of that crust is made of different material, which acts like a "magnetic sheild".

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   

SATELLITES REVEAL A MYSTERY OF LARGE CHANGE IN EARTH'S GRAVITY FIELD :
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The moon, the sun, and other large bodies in our solar system effect Earths magnetic field. Much like two magnets close together effect their magnetic field.

www.physics.montana.edu...

Or, Earth's crust is shifting in such a way to magneticaly sheild our Earths gravity into a different shape.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Connected]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join