It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squirrels are facinating.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
We've got a bunch of squirrels around here, gray and black. We feed them. The neighbors have even named them. Well today Charlie, George and Harvey were chasing each other around the pines, man can those buggers jump. Harvey(gray) was chasing George(black) when Charlie(also black) showed up. Things got interesting watching them. Harvey put the run to Charlie and continued after George. I thought there was going to be a squirrel fight(seen more than one), it didn't happen. Charlie went to the ground from a few trees away and then started to climb up the tree that Harvey and George were in. It dawned on me that George might actually be Georgina.

Watch the squirrels, they're interesting as hell.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't even pay attention to the outdoors anymore...its sad. 80% of the time I'm just down in my basement typing away...

I can't remember the last time I saw a squirrel. =(

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I don't even pay attention to the outdoors anymore...its sad. 80% of the time I'm just down in my basement typing away...

I can't remember the last time I saw a squirrel. =(

Here you go:

I wouldn't mess with this one though, he looks like he has attitude.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I sometimes watch them in central park, they're pretty cute. The groundsquirrels and chipmunks they have out west are pretty cool too.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
@ the Dollhouse in Fort Lauderdale,
Squirrels, squirrels, squirrels ...

flashback to the 80s, sorry.:shk:

Here, it's mostly greys. They're quite plentiful and comical as well, though we do have red, fox and black squirrels in the higher elevations (read: 20 minutes away).

While I haven't gone to task naming "ours" [a veritable community, mind you], We've often enjoy their playful antics and musings ... not to mention the occasional "interactions" with one of the dogs and/or cats.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
12m8keall2c, we had a red squirrel here in the summer, they're the smallest and damn if he didn't put the run to ALL of the others. It was funny to see 2lb squirrels running from one that was smaller than a hot dog. I think he might have been packin

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
12m8keall2c, we had a red squirrel here in the summer, they're the smallest and damn if he didn't put the run to ALL of the others.

So true. Half again the size of a chipmunk, BUT... they Are quite the aggressive lil' critter.

www.pgc.state.pa.us...

The story that red squirrels castrate gray squirrels is untrue, although reds will aggressively drive off trespassing grays.

^^ A good reference for various species.

Squirrels, squirrels, squirrels ....
Rocking in Atlanta at Tattletails

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Kryptonite acorns might of helped the bigger squirrels.

Squirrels are a rare treat to watch in these parts....few trees and too hot.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I lived in a city and was able to spend some time watching squirrels. I could watch them in the trees and flower gardens from my window. But, I also observed them out on the streets.

These little guys (gray), have a lot of "street smarts". They will jump off the curb and out to the street, standing by the tire of a parked car, and look both ways. Yes, I know but I saw many of them do this.

Here is another one.

I was standing outside a building. I could see down the street to the next intersection. I saw the squirrel cross the intersection on a overhead wire, and come up the steet that I was on, but on the opposite side. Again, traveling on the wire between telephone poles. OK...opposite the place where I was standing he came across the street on another wire and then, still traveling on wire came to the building where I was standing.

The little guy looked as though he knew just where he was going, every step of the way!

I'm an ex-smoker, that was when I did all that standing outside watching the squirrels.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I too enjoy watching squirrels, i have a feeder on my back porch. we've just got red ones they are really feisty though, in the early morning i can hear them racing around on my roof and i know it's time to get up. They also like to torment the sparrows and finches by climbing up the bird feeder while the birds are up there. I haven't gotten around to naming them yet but i've almost got them tame enough to feed by hand, presently i can walk within about 4 feet of them before they scamper up the tree and bark at me. Come summer time i'll have them eating from my hand.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I love those furry little tree rats.

They can be fun to watch!

I used to have a basement apartment, and would leave nuts for the neighborhood squirrels outside of my window.

They seem to be curious critters as well as being sort of brave, too.

Little by little, they would venture closer and closer to my open window. I eventually had this one that would even come into the apartment. Not very far mind you, only just inside the window, on a ledge that is there. Looking for more nuts, no doubt.

And even when I approached, this guy would only go outside just past the outside window ledge, and stay there for a while waiting for me to send out some more treats.

Too bad that I now live in a semi high-rise building, but I still enjoy watching these critters when outdoors.

to the tree rats!

top topics

join