It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge-led Bible study prompts attorney's complaint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
an attorney in a suburb of st. louis is complaining about a judge-led bible study group for attorneys (it was held in a courtroom)

he's calling it an unlawful goverment sponsorship of religion

here's the story

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) -- A courthouse Bible study led by a suburban St. Louis judge is an improper government endorsement of Christianity, an attorney wrote in a letter of complaint to St. Charles County's presiding judge.

i think this is horrible
the judge shouldn't be allowed to hold such a study
if he wants to hold a bible study at his church, go ahead
if he wants to do it at home, i'm fine with that
but in the courthouse?
come on, that's wrong

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well, It doesn't really surprise me all that much, I think it goes to show how comfortable Christians have become with bringing their religion into the courtroom. What concerns me about all this is the fact that there is always a remote chance that that judge will have to preside over a court case that pertains to religion. Can any one honestly say that in a case where religion is involved you would get a fair and unbiased trail. Fair maybe but unbiased I strongly doubt. I know it would scare the crap out of me to walk in to a courtroom where I was being judged to see everybody reading bibles. Mrs. Justice, why don't you take off that blindfold and set this bible on your scales so you can read it better.

I do agree that there is no problem having bible reading sessions at home or church though.

join