It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMD Torrenza - Barcelona CPU Scheduled 4 mid Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
HyperLink

Barcelona gives floating point operations their own schedulers (checkout lanes) and runs them twice as fast as 64-bit SSE did. AMD claims that Barcelona’s per-core floating point performance is more than 80 percent faster than the present Opteron. Benchmark that...

Much fuss has been made about power efficiency, but the best of x86 power saving schemes is crude. They adjust the clock speed and the operating voltage of the entire CPU, and the selection of set points is small. Barcelona keeps this technique, but builds on it with inspiration from IBM and Transmeta. Barcelona blacks out power to individual portions of the chip that are idled, from in-core execution units to on-die bus controllers. This hasn’t made it into PCs before because it’s very difficult to manage light switches for several “rooms” individually and to make sure that, like a refrigerator light, whenever a door is opened, the light is on as if it’s been burning the whole time. Power savings from these schemes are dramatic. If Barcelona lacked this feature, it would still be a green CPU.

Barcelona is a new CPU, not a doubling of cores and not extensions strapped on here and there. Get ready to be blown away long before its release, which is scheduled for midyear.

en.wikipedia.org...
enterprise.amd.com...

Start Saving!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
o no!! not something faster
this stuffs going to make me go broke. i think I'm just going to not have the latest and greatest on my block any more, that or win the lotto eve two years so i can up date.

i wonder what Intel's going to come out with to rival it

[edit on 11-2-2007 by neonine]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonine
o no!! not something faster
this stuffs going to make me go broke. i think I'm just going to not have the latest and greatest on my block any more, that or win the lotto eve two years so i can up date.

i wonder what Intel's going to come out with to rival it

[edit on 11-2-2007 by neonine]

Intel will come up with the same CPU just a diff name but the only difference is that it won't have windows in it...

Read the link below, totally unrelated but still funny:
www.degredo.net...

Father thinks he's got Vista installed when in fact is Ubuntu

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
cruel joke but it is rather funny
. Don't you love how Intel and AMD just feed off each other if its not one doing something the other is its the other way around.

Edn

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
lol, thats great. (the vista thing). I think ill do the same if anyone asks me to install Vista.

Intel will come up with a similar CPU eventually but it will be more expensive.

I dont think ill be getting a new CPU for some time but when I do it will probably be an AMD.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
lol, thats great. (the vista thing). I think ill do the same if anyone asks me to install Vista.

Intel will come up with a similar CPU eventually but it will be more expensive.

I dont think ill be getting a new CPU for some time but when I do it will probably be an AMD.

Same here, the 1st pc I built for myself was an AMD 500mhz then I
sinned and got an Intel 1ghz...since then I have been calling the priest
to exorcise my machine from time to time...

Yes Im going back to AMD...

top topics

join