It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Has Built "Suicide" Drones Capable Of Attacking U.S. Naval Ships

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A semi-official news agency; Mehr, quoted an Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander that they have built unmanned drones that carry "suicide operations" against the U.S. Navy. This is in addition to what the Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei stated earlier to hit back at US interests worldwide if it attacks Iran and continue the effort to block the Islamic republic's nuclear program. U.S. has repeatedly said that it won't attack Iran. Iran issued earlier statements and warned that U.S. will be defeated if it decides to invade Iran.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
TEHRAN -- Iran has built "suicide" drones capable of attacking US naval ships and forcing them to leave Gulf waters, the semi-official news agency Mehr quoted a Revolutionary Guards commander as saying Sunday.

Warning about a "defeat for the enemy", Shoushtari said: "Americans know that if they confront the Islamic system, they will not be secure in the region or at home."

In response, the White House said it has no plans to invade Iran, and downplayed the significance of reinforcing the US military presence in the Gulf region

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If one country has a capability or what we can call having an 'ultimate weapon" of thwarting or defeating an invasion from the U.S., I believe that it would be the last thing the Country will brag about. Issuing statement as this would only give clues on what an attacker can expect in the even of an invasion. That can give early warning to the attacker and most likely can create a counter strategy to such tactics.

Such statement, IMO can be considered as "psychological defensive strategy" from a Country that is very much aware of facing the possibility of an invasion from a powerful would be invaders like the U.S.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm just a little bit curious, but what makes this any different from Iran building anti-ship missiles? Because isn't that all a flying suicide drone is? Isn't it just a missile?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
A different take on it, "Iran (says it ) Has Built "Suicide" Drones (that it thinks are) Capable Of Attacking U.S. Naval Ships." We often find that perception is different from reality, and I suspect in this case, not even in the same category.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Has anyone else picked up on the fact that no one actually dies with the drone since it is unmanned so calling it a "suicide drone" is pure psychological warfare. Keep your eyes open people and don't assume the US is always the bad guy.

Too bad they aren't piloted, it be funny seeing a guy get lasered out of the sky flying an icbm.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Maybe they built that after the succesful approach of an iranian drone and fly over a US carrier group earlier in 2006 without being detected... But anyway... a drone can carry how much explosives? Not enough to sink a ship...

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Not so much explosives but probably enough nerve gas to do the job...

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They might get lucky and kill a few sailors with nerve gas, but otherwise it wouldn't do too much. I can't see a "drone" penetrating too far inwards, and even if it did our sailors are quite well drilled for chemical attacks.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
How has suicide drones packed with explosives turned into spayers for nerve gas?

Jee's the paranoia is running rife.

These martyr drones are just cheap missiles i think.

why build 10 of these, when you can have missiles instead?

sorta strange thing to me.

Anychance these could be used in a fashion RADAR wouldnt pick them up?
Or perhaps during a flurry of missiles, would these go undetected while missiles are being shot outta the sky ?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My guess is that they'd be propeller driven low flyers that would skim the surface of the ocean as closely as possible. Although oddly enough the F-14 with the Phoenix missile were designed with this sort of thing in mind against cruise missiles. Kind of a shame we retired them.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Maybe they built that after the succesful approach of an iranian drone and fly over a US carrier group earlier in 2006 without being detected...

Undetected according to who? Iran? Why waste a 135,000 dollar missile shooting down essentially an RC plane on steroids? Much better to do some ELINT and listen/record signals or frequencies being used. This way when it matters all you have to do is jam those specific bands and Iran's RC planes will make for a good show splashing down one by one.

I can assure you however that the radars and sensors found on a CBG are more than capable of picking up an RC plane. To give you an idea think looking at a radar screen and seeing a soda can floating 100 miles away, and this was in the mid 90's mind you.

CD, The F-14/Phoenix were designed to shoot down huge Soviet bomber fleets not RC planes and cruise missiles. The Super Hornet with the AMRAAM/AIM-9X, AESA radar and advanced data-link ports is much better in this category.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Although Soviet bombers were the original intent I remember reading a book mentioning that the F-14/Phoenix system did have the capability to track and down cruise missiles that were skimming the ocean. Either way it shows that our fighters have more than enough capability to hit small targets like that, even at very low altitudes.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The most important thing to remember is that this is an emerging threat. It's easy enough for us to look down our technologically superior noses at these threats, but we'd be well advised to remember that RC planes eventually lead to bigger things. All the greatest of military toys that we take for granted today started out as weak and under-powered testbeds.

The indisputable fact of the matter is that the Iranian government is plowing big bucks in to R 'n D for the specified purpose of killing Americans. Those of you who know their history will recall that once upon a time, miitary minds agreed that the airplane would ammount to nothing. Those pathetic little "tractors" the Germans were puttering around with were also supposed to be a waste of time.

As any real grognard will tell you, any piece of offensive technology can kill you, no matter how obsolete you say it is. CBG's may be able to engage small birds with impure thoughts at fifty miles, but...it would only take one to make the point. The fact that these people WANT to do this to us should be a greater worry than the tools they have...at the moment.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Tried to search for more articles on this other then a Philippino News source but didn't find anything else other then Hezbollah suicicde drones.
I'm wondering wether they get 72 virgin drones once they have completed their mission or perhaps an eternal oil bath.

I'm guessing any drone can be used in the same way if it carries weapons of some sort. Just more propaganda for the sheeps out there to worry about.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well unless the drones can avoid Radar detection they will be of little value unless they act as a decoy for other weapons systems. The USN and USAF should be able to sustain any losses taken during a war with Iran and any losses will be worth while in return for keeping the worlds oil supply open .

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There is another source, but basically it is the same exact story:

in news.com.au

News Source

The title is: US navy warned of 'suicide drones'

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Suicide drone is a contradiction, since everyone is ignoring this fact still I will bring it up again. This is pure psych ops and very successful for the people who haven't figured that out yet!

I wonder if the Iranians have suicide bullets, rockets, and missiles too?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Even if we disregard all other types of countermeasures another thing to keep in mind is the time delay in the video feed, as I presume such a drone would have to be optically guided. Anyway, even the RGM-109E has a time delay of several seconds (I think something like 9 seconds) because of the antenna and data rely system it uses. As such, depending on what type of hardware the Iranians use you're looking at a pretty complicated feat. Speed of the drone, speed/maneuverability and size of the vessel in question would all then become interesting questions.

Then we have the questions of how much endurance, range and payload would such a "drone" have? To be anything more than a nuisance (you can forget about sinking a carrier, it simply cannot be done this way) it would have to carry a substantial payload. However that would limit it's endurance and range, as well as impact kinematics. Personally I think the combat effectiveness of such a system against the USN is very poor, but in terms of news coverage, whatever sells.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Congrats Westpoint you missed the point again.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
WestPoint et al,

Doesn't the Phalanx system render these suicide drones useless?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Iranian government is plowing big bucks in to R 'n D for the specified purpose of killing Americans.

Justin Oldham,

The Iranian nation is surrounded by American forces. Ever increasing American forces. Would it not be more logical to surmise the R 'n D is to advance the specificed purpose of defending Iran?

Best,
SteveR

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join