It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whistle blown on Wiki site for whistle-blowers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It is difficult to get the information needed to get a location of a person using a laptop. Here is the other key problem. They are not allowed to use this information against a person unless they had a search warrent for the information. It is just like if they were to search your home. They would need a search warrent to do so. I am not saying that they don't already search computers already it's just they cannot do anything with the information. And they need to obtain a search warrent to get ahold of your hard drive to be able to prosicute you.

and if your a whistleblower the law would not allow them to take your computer if your computer had key information then it would be evidence and therefore you would not have that taken away from you so that the government could destroy the evidence.

apc

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Which is why I suggested this...

The Government is already allowed to demand network logs in an emergency situation, with emergency being defined as something that is life-threatening. I wouldn't be surprised if there were an amendment to redefine emergency.

It is possible that this website, or others like it, could be used as a justification to expand the definition of "emergency" to include threats to national security. If that came to be, law enforcement could demand disclosure of and forcefully obtain network logs without a warrant. They wouldn't just be able to get the traffic logs from the site in question. They would be able to get them from individual ISPs, as well as any router logs in between. All that would be required is probable cause to suspect the logs contain evidence of a threat to national security, in this case a connection to a whistleblower website.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
and what would that accomplish? They would still need an actual crime to do anything about it. Otherwise any idiot lawyer would get it thrown out of court on illegal search laws. You would actualy have to come up with an actual crime when you use probable cause to search someone or something. If you don't find anything after your probable cause search obvously you had no reason to search in the first place and would be in a world of trouble.

apc

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Leaking classified information to the public is a crime. Doing it "anonymously" over the Internet doesn't make leaking confidential information any less a crime.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
however leaking illegal information is not a crime and this is the point of this website. If the government commits an illegal action and someone out of good concience blows the whistle on it. It is not a crime. In fact the act of whistle blowing illegal activities of the government is protected under federal and state law.

apc

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So you think these websites will exist solely for the purpose of exposing illegal Government action? Nothing will go up that will simply be politically motivated? Nothing that would give reason to expand from the Patriot Act and amend the ECPA (again)?

You think they'd just bend over and take it? They wouldn't do anything to stop, or at the very least control, the flow of information? Especially if it really started to hurt? If you think that, you thought wrong.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
not at all I am certan that they would do everything they can to derail or destroy such a site. Or turn it into a disinfo site or a politicly motivated trash talk site.

in any event us at ATS can do nothing but benifit from a site like this. They may spew endless garbage on the site but some of it would have to be true and that would bring rise to even more conspiracy theory and debate.

apc

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You're missing the point.

They don't have to do anything about the site.

They will use the site.

>
I don't mean to publish disinfo. I mean as justification for domestic legislation. I don't know how to say it any simpler.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by apc]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
People tell:
corporatefraud.tripod.com...

and wiki would be quickest path to not having anything known.

Their so called experts want their egos and pay boosted by busting anything

by Lyne, try it. I give it two weeks up.

Starting the conspiracy of science just about exposed the ET cover
and generated the jobs for internet conspiracy sites to flood the
sheep with better things to think about.

The wiki editors may start to make copy on the history of Tide or other
products, just tantamount to advertisements. A lot of band
information on Wiki for the younger set to appreciate, good
thing they linked to the band site where you get a lot more
history, so why duplicate and give less just to show up on a web search.

Wiki looks like the only information on the web, and thats bad ok.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The US government is just promoting the chance for people to report of themselves. If the info is any good they will just find you and eliminate you if they so chose.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
The US government is just promoting the chance for people to report of themselves. If the info is any good they will just find you and eliminate you if they so chose.

But wouldent the info already be out there and therefore the damage done? I am not defending the government or saying that they don't do messed up neferious things. But it would seem to me that if someone was to blow the whistle on illegal activities going on within the government and publishes the evidence on this site then someone would see said link before the government had time to react.

I don't know you could ask "Deepthroat" oh wait you can't he died of old age.
I am not sure but if one man can blow the whistle on a conspiracy like he did and remein allive all that time then I think that it would be pretty safe to publish something on wikileaks with anonimity.

wait lets go ask Osama Bin Laden, dang we can't cause they havent caught him yet either. I guess the government is just waiting to spring their trap on his sorry butt right? Cause there so good that they would get you right away.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Just a question, is it me and my PC or has this wikileaks site been pulled off the net?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Just a question, is it me and my PC or has this wikileaks site been pulled off the net?

It wasnt due to be up for a few months wikileaks.com was leaked to the media prematurely.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Just an update about wikileak.

Its noted by slashdot that wikileaks has just blown doors off of the rest of the MSM by breaking a story about an "International $3 Billion Corruption Story".

Below is part of the wikileak.

The looting of Kenya under President Moi

The breathtaking extent of corruption perpetrated by the family of the former Kenyan leader Daniel Arap Moi is revealed in a secret report which lays bare a web of shell companies, secret trusts and frontmen used to steal over two billion dollars worth of state money.

The suppressed U.K auditor's, (Kroll Associates), report details how Kenyan state finances were laundered across the world.

The countries involved in the corrupt dealings include Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Finland, Germany, Grand Cayman, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Liberia, Luxembourg, Malawi, Namibia, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Russia, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Switzerland, the UAE, Uganda, the United Kingdom, the United States and Zaire.

What a scoop! This story appears to be hitting the news and making an impact.

I would never have imagined this little upstart website would be able to upset the apple cart so quickly and with such a hard hit.
How did they pull it off!

Some are already saying this story will influence the election of an entire country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join