It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Thrown Out of Bar For Not Drinking...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This is one of those.. what the hell kinda things. I have many a time gone to bars as the designated driver, and never was met with this...

Non-Drinking Designated Driver Kicked Out Of Bar.

He's Filing Discrimination Lawsuit

Florida Lawmaker Writes Bill To Ban Bars From Kicking Out Designated Drivers

(CBS4) PINELLAS PARK A Florida man is planning to file a discrimination lawsuit against a Pinellas Park bar, not because he drank too much but because he drank too little.

Gary Maujean was inside Claire’s Lounge with his wife and friends but he wasn’t drinking alcohol, only soda, because he was their designated driver.

He claims he was penalized for trying to do the right thing and says the owner and a bouncer threw him out of the bar for not drinking alcohol. His attorney said the bar's owner grabbed Maujean, slammed his head against a door and forced him out of the facility. Attorney Tom Carey said Maujean was injured and required more than a dozen stitches.

The bar tells a different story and claims he didn’t order anything at all.

Now the issue is taking on a life of it's own as Florida lawmakers are considering a bill regarding the matter.

Florida Senate Majority Whip Mike Fasano has written a bill which would ban bar owners from kicking out customers who don't drink because they're designated drivers. The legislation would also ban bar from refusing to serve customers based on such factors as their race, sex, religion, and nation origin.

lc

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Looks more like he was loitering that made up an excuse of being a designated driver and the barkeep was a crabass.

Fasano acts after bar ejects

Maujean said Romano pulled him by the arm to go outside:

"He gets up in my face, and he said, 'All you had was Coke and water. I got employees to pay and a band I got to pay, and either drink something or get the hell out of the bar.' I told him again I was the designated driver."

Maujean said Romano pulled the exit door open and slammed it into Maujean as he walked back inside. Maujean said he put his arms up to protect himself, but it hit him in the forehead and arm. Then, he said, a bouncer, Stanley J. Clark, tackled him from behind.

Maujean called for an ambulance and police. He was taken to a hospital and treated. He pursued charges against Romano and Clark. But prosecutors decided not to charge the two men because, they said, "the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Around here some bars give you free soda if your the designated driver, but you need to tell them beforehand.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hah no chance of me getting kicked out of a bar for not drinking. :w:

Most bars and nightclubs here actually promote bringing designated drivers with groups on a night out. It makes for good PR, i'll always return to a place that gives free soft drinks/water to designated drivers, and they know it. If the guy wasnt being a jerk then i would imagine that the owner of the bar wont last in business for very long with the way attitudes are changing regarding drink driving.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
We only use that law here to kick out suspicious persons. The ones that may be looking for a purse. There is a general "type" in the French Quarter. It doesn't even go by race, simply more of a looking around at purses, that allows us to use that "no drink, get out" policy.

I've never seen someone arrested for drinking soda at a bar though! That is ridiculous!

top topics

join