It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

biggest winter storm in years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Here we go guys. this one will hit. Beginning Monday night in the midwest lasting through Tuesday night. Snow will get very heavy on tuesday for parts of the midwest and upper OV here is my first call on the storm

In a line from Springfield, Mo over through Indianapolis 8 - 12 inches
Indianapolis to Pittsburgh 12 - 15 inches
Wheeling, WV could see nearly 2 feet
Harrisburg, Pa 15 - 18 inches
DC 6 - 12 inches
NYC 18 - 24 inches
Boston 12 - 15 inches

Possible blizzard on parts of the coast

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I have been in touch with a major contact of mine, and he is telling me the major cities are already planning on being shut down tuesday and wednesday

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I wouldn't say the biggest snow in 'years' per say, several years ago, back in January 05' I believe for here in lower Rhode Island we saw from 2 to 3 feet. And I think NYC broke their record snowfall in one day last year at Central Park.

Here's the original post about it I made awhile ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And from wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

I do concur that it will be a big storm that will affect a vast area of the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, I'm not completely sure though if the coastal regions or I95 Corridor is going to be all snow, I think some rain or ice is going to mix in at first then finally change over to snow (Once the cold air wraps around), it's all depending on how the arctic front that is currently dropping down holds up. The latest models is currently showing a mix bag for the coastal spots with the Low tracking slightly northward than expected instead of a "nor easterly" track.

Tell you what though, I'll be pissed if it's a mixed bag event,we've barely seen snow here in RI and I hope your preliminary accumulations are correct.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well the Weather Channel is saying snow showers on Tues. and snow and wind on Wed. here in NY. Nothing about large amounts though. I guess we'll find out.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm in central Ohio and it is snowing finally. It's been a long time since we've had a decent amount fall. They are even predicting possible thunder and lightening.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I love thunder snow!

W00t!

Well, it is a big storm (size-wise), it's hit half the country already, and it's gunning for the other half. It may not result in tons of accumulation on the ground, but it's still a damn big storm.

Just based on the radar images I've seen, the system stretches unbroken from the Gulf to the Great Lakes, and it's several hundred miles wide in places (looks to be about a thousand miles wide at the northern edge - stretching from Nebraska all the way to Maine).

That's a big storm...

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well it's going to hit us tonight. The weather channel is saying 5 to 8 inches but it could reach over 11-18 inches, so your first post was pretty accurate.

I can say tommorow what really happened.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Actually this storm is forecast to last into Wednesday evening.

Here's the Accuweather link that contains some of the OP information. I won't publish Accuweather Premium or Professional information as they are part of a paid site.

NYC looks to get a mix at this point. There are no warnings, watches or advisories for NYC proper. Current forecasts call for mix over the next 24 hours, with ice and possibly very slight rain tomorrow morning.

As for RI, here's your warning.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
North of NYC though, has a winter storm warning.

On the weather channel it said if the storm moves towards the sea we could get more snow, but if it comes in we'd get more rain. So it depends on where it's heading.

[edit on 13/2/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05On the weather channel it said if the storm moves towards the sea we could get more snow, but if it comes in we'd get more rain. So it depends on where it's heading.
[edit on 13/2/2007 by enjoies05]

That's exactly right. There are still chances for a true nor'easter so it's a waiting game.

Also, there is an advisory for the NYC area. Accuweather's map was wrong.

Some other good sites include:

Weather Underground
In tellicast
NWS Storm Prediction Center

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
unfortunately I live towards Southern RI and work in Newport...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

TOTAL ACCUMULATION BY MID MORNING WEDNESDAY WILL RANGE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES ACROSS SOUTHERN RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS. LESSER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED RIGHT ALONG THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH COAST.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ACROSS THE REGION AFTER MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW SHOULD QUICKLY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES BY DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE WEDNESDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR. IN FACT...SNOW MAY BE FALLING AT 1 INCH PER HOUR BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING...LIMITING VISIBILITIES TO A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

There is a slim chance that we can see a majority of snow if the Low can pull enough cold air towards it's center, in which I will be celebrating.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by DJSpellBound]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Here in SW Michigan it's snowing and blowing . We had 2' on the ground before this started and now we have the 4-6' drifts on the way. It's a little after 7PM and the warning goes till 7AM

mikell

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
From what they're saying now, the big cities won't get that much, maybe like 6" before it turns to sleet and freezing rain. I hope they're wrong though...I love snow!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Looks like...

...lots of snow!

Accuweather: Colossal Winter Storm

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by l0rds0fcha0s
I have been in touch with a major contact of mine, and he is telling me the major cities are already planning on being shut down tuesday and wednesday

Not the biggest storm in years buddy.

Though the cities have been shut down, mostly due to an Ice storm - which would be one of the biggest ice storms in years - has frozen over the highways, lots of crashes.. I know one county is actually under a "Level 3 snow emergency" which means if your caught on the road, police will arrest you. Right now my county is under a level 2 which shuts everything down, roads are crap, to cold for salt, sleet, ice, snow.... its a mess out there.. I just got back from picking up firewood.. damn.. I was all over the place. Had to call off work because I work about 30 mins away on a good day.. and I was NOT getting on those highways...

EDIT:

Oh I should add what the biggest storm was..

2 years ago we got 16 inches of snow, then it iced, packed it down, then snowed another 6 inches.

Then the 2 days after that it was 60 degrees and thunder storms, the fog was so bad you could hardly see your hand in front of you, the Great Miami was only a few feet from breaking over the levees and flooding Dayton Ohio. This was 2005 January.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well I don't know about the blizzard part. I have yet to see that here in Dayton, OH. I posted two pics on BTS at 4pm today of the amount of precipitation we have so far.

Today has been mainly sleet.

I am hoping for a blizzard just to get some cool pics, but so far this isn't that much..........not like upstate New York anyways.

See the pics:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have a question about rock doves. I live on the top floor of a hi-rise that's over 20 floors hi that's right on Lake Erie.
There's a FIERCE blizzard going on outside now and just looked out on my balcony and noticed that there are 2 rock dove's sitting on top of a heavy iron table I have out there that appear to be FROZEN.
I shouted Boo! so as to see if I could startle them but neither one budged and continue to look straight ahead -- eye's wide open.
Just wondering but would anyone here know how rock dove's are in extreme cold weather conditions? I would think that they should have their necks and head folded partway into a wing to keep warmer but these birds are instead looking straight ahead. Hmmmm Not sure if I should bring them in.

PS- Just checked on them and they are moving now with their heads finally under a wing. Thanks goodness!

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well not that much snow so far, mostly sleet. We only got about 2 inches of snow instead of the 10 inches they said, and it's supposed to sleet the rest of the day. But everything should turn back to snow again tonight.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Here in Carroll county - Maryland , Theres about 2 feet outside on the ground.

It has been snowing for 24 hours now.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
A little less than one foot accumulation in about 12 hours' time. The snow is coming down hard but it's very small unlike the lake effect snow. About 30 miles east of me is an all-out blizzard but the roads are clear where I live. Lake effect is forecast for tonight once the winds shift. You'll probably start hearing about collapsing roofs soon because this snow is so darn heavy and it's going to sit like a brick on the roofs with 4-6 feet of snow on them already. Our roof has packed down to about 20" of snow despite the fact we've received about 50" in the last week.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join