It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Unequal treatment' at Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The first civilian lawyer let into Guantanamo Bay says prisoners there are not being treated equally.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I know we had this topic before but i think its not bad to show what a 'normal' civilian lawyer is thinking about the situation there, and its not far from what i think..
Funny is that an american terrorist looks to be not as bad as a foreigh terrorist, hihi didnt bush claimed they were all very bad...shame on you !

pz, joz

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   

The lawyer said that in order to be allowed to see his client, he had to sign a legal document preventing him from talking about anything related to Guantanamo Bay and what he saw there without the permission of the US military authorities.

That just tells you right thier that they held suspects are not being treated fairly.

If all were clear and sunny, They would simply have no problem in letting the lawyer tell all about the treatment within.

Deep

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think that all these charges of treason and stuff against US soldiers in Guantanomo are nothing more than these soldiers telling their wives or friends back home about something they saw back at Gitmo, or inculding it in an email or something.

The amount of trouble the US administration is going to to hide whatever is going on at Guantanomo, to me, means that there are terrible things being done there.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

I think that all these charges of treason and stuff against US soldiers in Guantanomo are nothing more than these soldiers telling their wives or friends back home about something they saw back at Gitmo, or inculding it in an email or something.

The amount of trouble the US administration is going to to hide whatever is going on at Guantanomo, to me, means that there are terrible things being done there.

Hey Jak,
try they were most likely in contact with human rights' organizations. There are folks out there who are building war crimes cases against members of the Bush administration. How better to nip that shyte in the bud than to destroy those soldiers? It has probably also sent quite a chilling message to all other Marines at Gitmo. You talk, you burn. It's nauseating how justice has been so perverted.

There's an excellent article on what's going on at Gitmo in the current issue of Vanity Fair.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the fyi on the Vanity Fair article, I'll check it out!

Hopefully some of these suspects will be released soon and can try to sue the eff out of the US government.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well it seems that things might be about to change at Guantanamo.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"The Bush administration has suffered two legal setbacks in its efforts to curtail the rights of those it accuses of being involved in terrorism.

A federal appeals court has ruled US authorities do not have the power to detain a US citizen seized on US soil as an "enemy combatant".

And a court said detainees being held by the US military at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba should have access to lawyers."

It remains to be seen whether the US administration will make moves to block this ruling.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

That just tells you right thier that they held suspects are not being treated fairly.

Deep

uuuhhhh, they don't have the right "to be treated fairly". They have the right to be treated humanely...that's about the extent for right now.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

Thanks for the fyi on the Vanity Fair article, I'll check it out!

Hopefully some of these suspects will be released soon and can try to sue the eff out of the US government.

Ubetcha.
Vanity Fair's been doing a lot of good stuff on this whole mess.

After reading the article on conditions at Gitmo, I couldn't help but shake my head and wonder what the hell is becoming of our nation - that we could allow this government to trample our constitution and be so inhumane. It's a travesty.

If the detainees are truly guilty then charge them! Punish them! But don't hide them away, based on nothing. That is cruel and unjust. I will never condone that. I believe in equal justice. The scariest thing, that most people don't understand, is the very same people responsible for disappearing these people and torturing them indefinitely, could, at some point, decide you and me are guilty of sedition or some such thing. Every single one of us could be disappeared at any moment. The reason our founding fathers gave us the 2nd Amendment is because of this very issue. To protect our citizenry from a tyrranical government.

My feeling was, after reading the article, one of sorrow and disgust. The diktats of Rumsfeld, Bush and Ashcroft put our government on par with any other dictatorship, if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Well it seems that things might be about to change at Guantanamo.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"The Bush administration has suffered two legal setbacks in its efforts to curtail the rights of those it accuses of being involved in terrorism.

A federal appeals court has ruled US authorities do not have the power to detain a US citizen seized on US soil as an "enemy combatant".

And a court said detainees being held by the US military at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba should have access to lawyers."

It remains to be seen whether the US administration will make moves to block this ruling.

This is great news. Not because I support terrorism or terrorists or whatever, but because it protects every last one of us (U.S. citizens).

Give them a lawyer. I mean what is the government so scared of ? National security? My arse! Could it be, perhaps, they don't have a case? Let's hear the evidence. Let's have a trial - in front of everyone. Or let them go. If they're proven guilty, then execute them. The government is so full of shyte they stink.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 05:05 AM
link   
kind of strikes me, threads like these, which seems to be maybe a bit too confronting never get much attention..yepp its hard to see 'prove'.....
pz, joz

top topics

join