It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O.K. there seems to be support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This thread is starting out based off of another

The Idea I put forth to provide a real sokution for the homless problem seems to have some backing from fellow ats members.

What the hell, let's start seriously considering this and give me suggestions as well as some much needed help as I have never embarked on a mission of this magnitude. I propose to see if this can get off the ground because I have yet to see a downside worth not trying. Let's put our differences aside and put our minds together. You can see the general idea presented in the thread listed above,

I live in atlanta GA. and think it would make for a great test platform and encourage anyone that has the drive to try it elsewhere. First off I would like anyone with experience in the following to put in their 2 cents.

government grants
acquisition of military surplus for non profit groups
Finding cooperate sponsors/charity groups
farming of corn, sugarcane, or switchgrrass
ethanol production
organization of events
state land grants if there is such a thing
methane production from biomatter
recycling and waste management
Working with state government in any matters that apply
working with federal govn. particularly the D.O.T.
making financial info available to the public
practical living for groups of 30 or so people while maintaining privacy

And thats just to start

So the basic plan is this utilizing land adjacent to public roads and highways or other unused property to build facilities to provide homeless people shelter and food in exchange for work farming, recycling, and basic maintenance (commonly done at taxpayer expense provided help from the government) in hopes to boost ethanol and other renewable energy production while offering a chance of a fresh start and a home for the homeless, poverty stricken, and even possibly persons wanting to attain citizenship. Homeless is JOB1 though.

I'm looking for Ideas and input especially in the start up process. If I can get a game plan to get the funding and cooperation of the parties involved. Once I have a somewhat clear Idea of what needs to be done I will run an add in Creative loafing (a heavily read atlanta publication targeting the audience most likely to help) to get a meeting somewhere downtown (input on that would be good for atlanta yocals) to get the warm bodies to help start the program out.

Any help would be appreciated and I do website work so I could handle setting that up (good domain name advice welcome) Every journey starts with a step and I am trying to take the first step into a rather long and daunting one. Of coarse the finacial info will have to be made public so any Ideas on a easily updated system that shows where the money goes is a must.

I'm leaning towards the use of inexpensive metal buildings as they could be sectioned off for, kitchen, maintenance shops with quanzat hut (military style living quarters) with a little more of a home feel. Bio diesel is not out of the question here either as the commercial market is concerned so input on what crops produce the best yields would be a plus.

The united way, goodwill, salvation army are all options but would rather not focus to much attention on them as they will be more cut and dry as far as their help in the matter goes. More of my concern is what/who is involved in attaining use of the mentioned land, would their wages have to be taxed while in the first part of the program? (please no tax law conspiracy discussion here as the last thing the program needs is a IRS battle)

Feel free to send me u2u's if you have input or would like to get actively involved. Please keep things optimistic as I start to sweat thinking about starting this thing in motion and don't need the it'll never happen people taking their toll, sincere concerns are welcome though.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If any mods would like to put a string in the BTS it would be appreciated as I can use all the help I can get. I have been thinking about this for a long time and agree that it is better to try and fail than to never see it tried. I think it's safe to say the govn. would never give this a try on their own it's far too efficient and makes way too much sense
If it worked it would help to solve/help with alot of problems that are in dyer need of attention.

Thats the plan and I am asking for the input to help find direction to make it happen, if not by me at least get it to the point where it draws attention and gets implemented by someone.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
well the best thing to do would be to probally contact your mayor sonce he or she would have jurisdiction in your city to give you land in city limits or contact your govner about land not used by the highways

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I would suggest that before you do anything, you do your research.

You will only be taken seriously by the "Powers that be" if you can present them with firm substantial data.

My suggestions are this..

1. Survey some homeless, record their comments in your report. Find out how interesting to them this proposal is going to be. The larger the cross section you interview, the better.

2. Look to local church groups for help. They are VERY good at the organization of things.

3. Ask to speak at one of the open County, or City counsel meetings. If you do go, make sure you have your "stuff" in order in case they ask questions. It may take two or three trips before you get their interest. DON'T GIVE UP.

4. After you have done this for awhile, write a paper on the homeless in your area. Take it to the local news station and offer to take them to interview some homeless. It is always a hot item with them and gets your name out there.

After you have done this for awhile, you can be assured that you will be contacted by some interested parties....

It is a lot of work, but I bet it will be worth it...

Semper

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
WoW,
thanks guy's I was starting to worry for a while, I love it here at ATS but it kind of hurt my feelings that you guys are the only ones to give a positive aspect, I started to feel like I'm taking on a load I can not handle. Thanks for all the good input!!! come on, I don't care what anyones convictions are, we have vets in jail and they have no where else to stay. My stepfather talked about coming home from Vietnam to be spit on, he is not homeless but I have met alot of others like him that are. I hear so many people saying don't support the war but stand behind your troops! Lets at least put your keyboards where your mouth is!

I do not support the war at all the same I do not support this one but, don't let your beliefs keep you from putting your point forward. Thanks guys, I need help

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thank you so much semperfortis
I will try to put forth what I feel is the best approach until then please keep the Ideas flowing

top topics

join