It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about a "Protection from ID theft / Privacy" forum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I've been reading up on Identity Theft, a subject I studied in depth about 5 years ago. I have in the past week come up against some personal ID theft issues, and have been shocked by how much more complex the topic has become.

Is ATS an appropriate venue for posting about this?

Not only for helping readers avoid being victimized, but perhaps as a companion to RATS, since people who ask too many questions might end up with their credit attacked, their homes ransacked, etc.

Just wondering.

Examples:

How to end unsolicited Credit Card offers through public mail, that contain detailed personal info, and allow the bearer to set up an account in the addressee's name (I just did this, in my own name, by repeating back information in an offer).

Dealing with govt agencies who demand your Social Security Number

Internet security issues

Bump keys and personal security issues

IS anyone else interested in sharing info to minimize these threats to your lifestyle?

all the best.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This topic is going to become really important in May 2008 (?) when we start getting national ID cards with RFID and biometric data which can be stolen at a distance with an RFID scanner.

Also, how to avoid giving out your info invouluntarily, like walking through the entrance at a Wal*Mart or some place with a scanner.

Should we all make faraday cage wallets? Stick our ID cards in the microwave? And so on..

Also, advise on when it is ok to give out your info. Like how theres no law saying you need to carry your ID card, but if you don't, you had better be prepared to be shot multiple times with a taser. And at what points can we refuse to be searched?

And advise on dealing with the IRS. Like dealing with audits used to intimidate you; like what the Clintons do to people.

Good idea dr_strangecraft, but there's probably not enough interest to constitute a whole thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Big Brother Forum.
Track and document the rise of the global police state.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Actually i do think this is a good idea for a forum. What worries me most is the internet security issues. If we ignore things like trjans and keyloggers and fake login pages to steal details we are still left with a big issue. I am talking about the amount of info people freely give out of sites like myspace and friendreunited to name just a few.

I have already done experiments with this, picking someone at random on myspace i was able to find their address, phone number, old school, places of employment, education level etc. All through the use of perfectly legal websites. Thinking of writing an article on that actually.

Where do bump keys come into ID theft? Locks are locks any of them can be picked so for me that's a different issue. If you want to learn about locks and their weaknesses please visit www.lockpicking101.com, without a doubt one of the most complete online resources for the hobby lock picker (please let me have that plug).

Well anyway, i really think it's a great idea for a forum.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestion.

In future, any suggestions on new ATS, BTS features and so-forth can be added here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join