It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Obama overcome?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Once again a person other than the standard white male is running for the office of President of the United States of America. Democrat Barack Obama declared himself a candidate Saturday for the White House in 2008. Will Obama be able to overcome where others have failed before him?

apnews.myway.com
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Democrat Barack Obama declared himself a candidate Saturday for the White House in 2008, evoking Abraham Lincoln's ability to unite a nation and promising to lead a new generation as the country's first black president.
The first-term senator announced his candidacy from the state capital where he began his elective career just 10 years ago, and in front of the building where in another century, Lincoln served eight years in the Illinois Legislature.

"Each and every time, a new generation has risen up and done what's needed to be done," he said. "Today we are called once more - and it is time for our generation to answer that call."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am very interested to see how this will play out. It seems the top 2 democratic candidates are both nontraditional, one is a woman, and the other is african-american.
Even before announcing his candidacy Sen. Obama had issues brought to mainstream news attention..i.e. muslim schooling, religious background. Now that he has announced what kind of attacks will be inflicted on him?

I have no doubt that the "powers that be" in no way want this man to be president. Without much of a political background he has already drawn a devoted following, and with more mainstream attention I think his following will only get larger.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
today .reuters.co.uk
www.chicagotribune.com

[edit on 10-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
america is still a very racist country, it will be interesting to see his poll numbers in the south. do not think democrats realistically can expect him to win.

and by the way, stop the nonsence about stopping the war, there is no way america can pull out.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Barak Hussein Obama has a 2 huge problems that he will not be able to overcome.

1. He is a liberal!

2. This is Hillary's party. The plan after Bill Clinton left office was to have George Bush have 2 terms and then it would be time for Hillary. Don't believe it? How else would you explain ALGORE and John Kerry? Sacraficial lambs, both of them.

Now if Barak Hussein Obama cooperates with Hillary, there is a chance for him to be Hillary's running mate...Only if he cooperates...if not keep an eye out for another body showing up in Fort Marcy Park. ala Vince Foster.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
I have no doubt that the "powers that be" in no way want this man to be president.

But they were okay with a black woman as NSA director and a black guy as Secretary of State?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Actually she wasn't nsa director.
Dr. Condoleezza Rice became the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, commonly referred to as the National Security Advisor, on January 22, 2001.
Michael V. Hayden is nsa director and has been since march 99.

Those offices are not the presidency.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
Actually she wasn't nsa director.
Dr. Condoleezza Rice became the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, commonly referred to as the National Security Advisor, on January 22, 2001.
Michael V. Hayden is nsa director and has been since march 99.

Those offices are not the presidency.

Wrong. Michael Hayden is Director of the CIA. Stephen Hadley is the National Security Advisor.

Now, if you're talking about the Director of the NSA, that would be LTG Keith B. Alexander.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
sorry i got a bad link from google
www.nndb.com...

Those offices still are not the presidency.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I understand that they're not the presidency, but if you have old school racists running the show, why would they let those two get to the high positions that they had? Why would you let any black get into teh line of succession for that matter?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If Obama gets the nomination he will have a huge voter block to draw from that could possibly overcome the opposition and I mean not just blacks who he would probably unite for him but others who want some other choice besides Hillary.

[edit on 10-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Which way do you want it Nygdan?You post this here.....

But they were okay with a black woman as NSA director and a black guy as Secretary of State?

And then this here.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lets not underestimate that there are a lot of old schoolers in the democratic party still, there are lots of democrats that won't like the idea of a woman or a black being president.

Are you by chance schitzopherenic?

[edit on 11/2/2007 by shooterbrody]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
come on you cannot tell me america is not a racist country. you have mexicans trying to get blacks out of la, rise of the kkk, etc...youngsters are still only a minority, so the change has not come in time for obama, youngsters may be ok with a black president, but the older folk will not.

rice's job is nothing more than a public spokeswoman, although she is educated. and even the black community will probably not fully vote for obama because they still like bill clinton.

are you going to tell me that you think that all blacks will vote for someone who is just black. even bill oreilly said it best, what has obama did for the blacks he represents, nothing.

you cannot tell me that america is ready for a black president.

now on hillary, she has a track record and her husband bill is still very well liked in america. also hillary will have the money from new york behind her, new york money decides who wins the presidency.

i understand being a women she may get some problems, but that is catered for by having bill clinton besides her. she has the best chance any women will have in the american presidential race. and if a black man is all that is standing in her way to get the democratic vote, she should most definately get that vote.

[edit on 2/11/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Being black or female doesn't make them a better president. I wouldn't vote for either of them because they are far too liberal.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Being black or female doesn't make them a better president. I wouldn't vote for either of them because they are far too liberal.

For you.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, grover, if I could vote for you, I still wouldn't vote for either of them.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, grover, if I could vote for you, I still wouldn't vote for either of them.

Thats alright... I wouldn't vote for me either. I would have to be crazy to run for public office and I am not going to vote for a crazy person.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I ran for mayor of Portland Maine in 1982, as a clown. i was already self-employed as a mime and clown renting myself out for events and businesses and making pretty good money at the time for it ($6.00 an hour was a lot in 1982) and had been featured in several commercials for the 350th anniversery of the city. I filed the papers and everything.

I would show up at political event put on by other candidates dressed in a clowns or mimes outfit to garner attention since I didn't have any money to run with. Eventually I started getting media attention and I would be asked what my platform was and I would tell them that I waas running for mayor. Then they would say but you can't do that, mayor is appointed by city council and I would say exactly... it is much better to vote for an idiot as opposed to have him appointed... something we should have thought about in 2000. I kept saying that if I was elected to council and was not appointed mayor I would resign. My position was all major political positions should be elected not appointed (the only exception being prosocutors and judges...such positions should be entirely apolitical) if the government is to be any way accountable to the people.

Well I didn't win but I did get a thousand votes or so but at the same time I did because that city council changed the rules and the next election mayor was an electorial office.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Should he overcome, not can he.

I'm disreguarding the black issue here

He is way to inexperienced. He was only in congress for 2 years. How many other candidates in history ran and won after only 2 years in office

Hey I want to be President....

Or is the only reason that he is up because he is Black.

Either way he's screwed running against Hilary. It will come out from secret sources that he's sleeping with sheep, has an asian love child, didn't pay his taxes, etc. just before the Primary. He doesn't have a chance against Hilary. Its not fair really she was president in all but name for two terms already.

By the way Colin Powell would have won if he entered the race.

Isn't Barak the guy who has a 15 min show late night on cartoon network

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Barak Hussein Obama has a 2 huge problems that he will not be able to overcome.

1. He is a liberal!

I think that's a plus actually. If you look at the state that conservatives have left the country, people want drastic change. It's like a pendulum swing when it comes to public opinion. People think that extreme one way can only be countered by the extreme opposite.

2. This is Hillary's party.... (snip)

Now if Barak Hussein Obama cooperates with Hillary, there is a chance for him to be Hillary's running mate...Only if he cooperates...if not keep an eye out for another body showing up in Fort Marcy Park. ala Vince Foster.

You're right. The Clintons have more dead bodies in their freezer than Dahmer did. Those guys are nuts. But let's face it, the Bushes made it into power through coup d'etat and political assassinations. It's a politician-eat-politician world out there, and we're the ones who suffer.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well Reagan proved a clueless actor can be president and bush minor has proved a clueless idiot can be as well. It really doesn't speak all that well for the office of president though or the intelligence of the electoriate either that two of the last four presidents in the last 28 years were clueless.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
People should elected leaders based on merit rather then race. I'm am holding judgement on Obama even thou I have taken quite an interest in his bid for the Oval Office. Obama campaign could well run out of steam before the real fight begins.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join